How to clean a polishing pad?

Colleton

Established Member
My Black/Black '13 GT500 had some noticeable swirls on it when I picked it up from the dealership last month, and today I decided to do something about it.

I have a Meguiar's dual action polisher and a variety of pads and compounds. I used one of their "soft buff" polishing pads and their "ultra finishing polish" to polish out the swirls. I just did the upper surfaces that show swirls - hood, trunk and the upper part of the doors and quarter panels. Pretty sure I got the swirls out, but I'll need a bright sunny day to know for sure.

Now, my question... What do I do with the polishing pad? Are they throw away after single use or can I wash them somehow. Hand wash won't get everything out, can I throw it in the washing machine? I just don't want to leave anything it it that would scratch the next time I use it. For now it's in a zip lock bag so it doesn't dry out.

Thanks in advance for the help.

c6zhombre

E85 NutSwinger
Established Member
i use this xmt product from autogeek. you spray the pad, let it sit a few minutes..even in a bucket of water then throw in the washing machine for 1 cycle. don't use any other laundry wash products that might leave a residue. don't machine dry it either...just hook it back to the polishing machine and spin dry. store away in a plastic bag for the next time :rockon:

XMT Polishing Pad Cleaner by Pinnacle For your dual action or rotary polisher.

Bruha

Thats what I thought
Established Member
I use a citrus solution from detailed image. It breaks the compound down. Then just rinse and let dry. Good to go.

Sonic blue

Wax addict.
Established Member
Use a stiff detail (toothbrush) to clean the excess buildup off of foam pads, spin it full blast with the brush bristles in contact with it. Or use purple power de-greaser to fully clean the pad. Spray on, rinse, install on buffer and sling off the excess water.

T0RCH3D

Established Member
Some of the methods above are good. They sell a bunch of pad cleaners and rejuvinators that all vary. You can't go wrong, just do some research beforehand.

gamatt

Whine Connoisseur
Established Member
Dawn Power Dissolver works well. It's in the cleaner section of Walmart. Spray it on, let it sit for a minute and all the residue rinses right out.

dom418

Established Member
I guess I'm old fashioned. I don't waste my money on pad cleaners. I use warm water and dawn and my pads last for a long time. Key is to clean your pads right after they are used while the product is still wet.

Users who are viewing this thread