How to clean an engine bay

vipboy28

Established Member
Hi all,

Looking to clean my engine bay. I dont daily it so I can let it sit for days or a few weeks if need be. What type of products do you use and methods of cleaning would you all recommend?

JB_2010GT500

Established Member
I just use a slightly damp micro fiber and don't overdo it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shelby_SVT_2012

Established Member
It shouldn't be that dirty if it isn't daily driven, so just use a damp microfiber rag to wipe everything off. Once done, use some mother's vlr for the plastic and rubber trim.

vipboy28

Established Member
no cleaning chemicals? I mean i bought it used and drove it alot but over the 6 years its acquired dirt grim etc.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Drop engine. Disassemble completely. Use a microfiber, toothpicks, toothbrush and a blow dryer. Reassemble.

KEVINS

Established Member
Concentrated Simple Green and a tooth brush..preferably not your own.

ks

Pribilof

Life's Better @ Elevation
Established Member
Do not use regular Simple Green!!! It is corrosive to aluminum.

I use Simple Green Aircraft and Precision cleaner which is safe for aluminum. I mix it 1:4 with water. Cover your intake filter with a plastic bag. Gently hose down the engine bay. Liberally spray the cleaning solution. Let soak for a few minutes. Scrub any caked on grease with a toothbrush or rag. Spray some more solution. Let soak. Gently and thoroughly rinse with water. Dry with a microfiber cloth. Close hood and run engine for a few minutes to evaporate any remaining water. Use Pig Spit, Adams VRT, or something similar to get a nice shine. You'll probably only need to do this once every couple of years if you dont daily drive.

Maintenance cleaning is easy. Adams Quick Detailer and a rag is all you'll need.

Last edited:

fullboogie

Established Member
Do not use regular Simple Green!!! It is corrosive to aluminum

+1. I made the mistake of spraying SG on a small part of my engine and it ate into the finish of the lower manifold and the T-stat housing. They're permanently spotted now.

If you do use water of any kind, blow it off with an electric blower afterwards to make sure you don't have issues.

spitin venom

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Established Member
+1. I made the mistake of spraying SG on a small part of my engine and it ate into the finish of the lower manifold and the T-stat housing. They're permanently spotted now.

If you do use water of any kind, blow it off with an electric blower afterwards to make sure you don't have issues.

I rarely drive my car but the engine still got really dirty. This took me a few minutes to do.

1. Cover anything that looks like it shouldn't be drenched in water (like the filter),
2. Spray degreaser and let sit for a couple minutes (I actually think I used diluted Simple Green, Like mentioned above, you may want to use something else)
3. Rinse with water
4. Dry with a leaf blower
5. Spray some type of dressing (I used Chemical Guys Silk Shine)
6. Dry off again with leaf blower
7.Stand back and admire your clean ass engine bay

Before.
20160820_175158.jpg

After.
20160820_181735.jpg

JW03

Established Member
That looks great. I actually wipe mine down every time I wash the car to maintain it looking spotless, so I don't have any advice on bringing one back to a clean state. I do know that parts store sell multiple engine degreasers.

ponyboy96

Established Member
That looks great. I actually wipe mine down every time I wash the car to maintain it looking spotless, so I don't have any advice on bringing one back to a clean state. I do know that parts store sell multiple engine degreasers.

I do the same thing. I'll use a damp cloth to get the more grimy stuff. Also just some armor all sprayed on the plastics and hoses will add a nice touch. Just don't get it on the belt. Lol

1Kona_Venom

US Army (Ret)
Established Member
Premium Member
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jlhvgtp_6vk

I use...

All Clean from Chemical Guys

Silk Shine from Chemical Guys (this is WATER based, not OIL based. Much better than Armor All<--Junk)

I perform my engine cleaning exactly like the video shows. However, I do not use a pressure washer. Hose with a nozzle attachment is fine.

NEVER SPRAY ANYTHING ON A HOT / WARM ENGINE BAY!

Shelby_SVT_2012

Established Member
I rarely drive my car but the engine still got really dirty. This took me a few minutes to do.

1. Cover anything that looks like it shouldn't be drenched in water (like the filter),
2. Spray degreaser and let sit for a couple minutes (I actually think I used diluted Simple Green, Like mentioned above, you may want to use something else)
3. Rinse with water
4. Dry with a leaf blower
5. Spray some type of dressing (I used Chemical Guys Silk Shine)
6. Dry off again with leaf blower
7.Stand back and admire your clean ass engine bay

Before.
View attachment 73738

After.
View attachment 73739

Snapchat-6711363781236986665.jpg
My car is daily driven and I use the same method, except for using the leaf blower after the dressing. I'll give that a shot next time as well as the silk shine, because that bay looks pretty damn good!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread