how will my L perform against ss vehicle's?

nastyl

Established Member
my ride: 2000 Lightning, bassini exhaust headers back... thats it

the guy talking trash 2004 ss silverado, mods as i know none maybe exhaust and intake...

and his gf has been talking trash too her ride: 05 ss trailblazer prob exhaust and intake aswell...

Last edited:

jymboslice

Rookie
Established Member
just a pulley? what size are you thinking? i plan on getting a cold air intake and a tune after a pulley..

With a 4# lower pulley all you will need are colder plugs, the pulley and a tune. With a 6#pulley you will need colder plugs, a new MAF or MAFia, the pulley, and a tune.

Id spend the extra coin for the MAF and get the 6# pulley and a cold air intake. You'll be at ~400rwhp and ~500rwtrq.

Its been awhile since I had my 00 L so im not 100% on that info, that's just what I remember.

nastyl

Established Member
With a 4# lower pulley all you will need are colder plugs, the pulley and a tune. With a 6#pulley you will need colder plugs, a new MAF or MAFia, the pulley, and a tune.

Id spend the extra coin for the MAF and get the 6# pulley and a cold air intake. You'll be at ~400rwhp and ~500rwtrq.

Its been awhile since I had my 00 L so im not 100% on that info, that's just what I remember.

so a #6 lower pulley, new MAF, intake, and tune will put me at 400hp even with full bassini exhaust? and im gonna spend the extra coin to murder them...

jymboslice

Rookie
Established Member
so a #6 lower pulley, new MAF, intake, and tune will put me at 400hp even with full bassini exhaust? and im gonna spend the extra coin to murder them...

Oh yeah I forgot you had full exhaust. You'll be well over 400rwhp for sure then. Make sure you have drag radials or something. Try and go from a roll haha

jymboslice

Rookie
Established Member
no drag radials, just brand new hancooks, lol and im looking at a set of jlp traction bars....

Those traction bars will help out a lot. Your truck will move out once you do all these mods. You're goin to be happy

S8ER01Z

Established Member
Honestly the silverados a waste of gas... TB SS might be good if he gets you off the line but you will pull it up top stock. Pulley/tune and the TB SS will go down easy.

What changes happened in 02? Didn't lightnings hit mod 13s pretty frequently after that year? (maybe 01??)

Dark_5.0

Established Member
I own a 08 Trailblazer SS and a 00 Lightning. Stock vs. stock they are very close.

Adiabatik

Banned
SS Silverado's are a damn joke. I've even heard SS Silverado OWNERS talking about how slow their trucks are.

The TB SS is an even race.

TurboPh1sh

Established Member
Honestly the silverados a waste of gas... TB SS might be good if he gets you off the line but you will pull it up top stock. Pulley/tune and the TB SS will go down easy.

What changes happened in 02? Didn't lightnings hit mod 13s pretty frequently after that year? (maybe 01??)

My dad has an 01 lightning and ran 13.6 at 100mph stock with 100K miles at MIR... Are trailblazers that fast?

svtrookie

Established Member
I have a 08 AWD SS TB as my daily driver. I am confident the Lightning will have no problem beating the SS. As much as I like driving my SS it's not that quick in stock form. 13.9-14.0 at best. A few bolt ons bring them down in the lower 13s, but like the above poster stated..from a dig it might be close.

S8ER01Z

Established Member
My dad has an 01 lightning and ran 13.6 at 100mph stock with 100K miles at MIR... Are trailblazers that fast?

No... they tend to run bottom 14s at under 100mph.. some guys have freak ran high 13s (EDIT: Looks like the 13.7 was with tuning and some other stuff, 13.9 is as good as I could find) That is the RWD model...I think all the AWDs are stuck in the 14s.

Heres a rare 13 pass from one...
http://forums.trailvoy.com/showthread.php?t=4564&highlight=stock+1/4

There was a year (2001) where the lightning had a few changes (380hp vs 360hp, 450trq vs 440trq) and started running mid 13s..apparently there was a recall on the earlier ones so if you go that done your 2000 should be able to handle the TB no problem. (Intercooler issue) :beer:

The only reason I ended up here (SVTP) was I was planning on buying a Lightning and did a ton of research... been almost 7 years since then so I forget some of it though and had to look it up. :)

Last edited:

dirtyo2000

DirtyO2000
Established Member
SS silverado's are slow. Friend had an 05 and I could be him with my bone stock 07 from 0-99 when the limiter kicked in lol. There for the looks of it. Lower with the ground effects look. No faster than the Denali. They can be made to move out but takes a lot so you have no problem there in any kind of race.

The SS trailblazer are some quick trucks. I raced a guy in a stick one day but he had a lot of mods done to it. Left a light and I was driving my wife's GT. He caught me at the light and jumped about 2 cars on me. I caught him at the top of 4th around 120-123 mph and we were both getting ready to shut down. Never raced an auto but he was hitting the gears real hard. Damn thing chirped the tires in 3rd.

DT_C03RA

Established Member
SS silverado's are slow. Friend had an 05 and I could be him with my bone stock 07 from 0-99 when the limiter kicked in lol. There for the looks of it. Lower with the ground effects look. No faster than the Denali. They can be made to move out but takes a lot so you have no problem there in any kind of race.

The SS trailblazer are some quick trucks. I raced a guy in a stick one day but he had a lot of mods done to it. Left a light and I was driving my wife's GT. He caught me at the light and jumped about 2 cars on me. I caught him at the top of 4th around 120-123 mph and we were both getting ready to shut down. Never raced an auto but he was hitting the gears real hard. Damn thing chirped the tires in 3rd.

If you raced a stick then it's the only one of it's kind in history and to date no one has published a completed manual conversion on any TBSS forum that I am aware of. They don't make them in a manual trans, they are all autos. I owned a highly modded 2007 for 5 years and the only SS truck you can get with a manual trans is the SSR retrorod trucks (which share the same platform as the TBSS), but GM never put the T56 in a TBSS otherwise I'd still own mine. There have been a couple attempts at putting the SSR T56 in a TBSS, but no one has done it yet. Not saying it can't be done, since with enough money anythings possible, but unless that guy doesn't post on any forums then he's the only one. I know a ton of members over on tbssowners.com that would kill for a manual version, so if you ever see this guy again, flag him down and get his info, cause he could make a killing if he's done it. They only trans conversion the TBSS has to date is the 6L80/6L90 six speed auto and only one member that I know of has done it so far. Most others either build the crappy 4L70e or convert over to the 4L80e conversion kit so they don't keep grenading their trans. That's the weaklink in a TBSS and been it's plague from the beginning of the model. Oh and there is no 05 TBSS either, its 06-09 model and only a half year run of 09's were made before GM terminated the platform.

In stock trim the TBSS isn't all that fast, but it's not that bad for a 5k lb truck with driver stock. But a with a higher stall torque converter, tune and CAI they can run lower 13's in the 1/4 at 10x.xx. Stock the 2wd and AWD models run high 13's to even mid 14's stock depending on DA. Some with efans, headers, tune, CAI and with high stalls run mid to high 12's, but not many. It's a great truck actually and I miss owning mine and like I said if I could of made it a stick I would of kept it.

Users who are viewing this thread