HPP Racing Tuned my car

davidsk5018

Established Member
I drove to HPP racing in Lewisville, Texas to have my car tuned and my dry kit converted to a wet kit on Thursday and also spent Friday there have some issues worked out. While on the dyno, among other problems, they noticed the car was going lean, and the voltage was also dropping. The alternator had to be replaced, and along with putting an overdrive pulley on, it should be good now. I would recommend that for anyone using a smaller pulley. Lesson learned. In short, the guys at HPP did an awesome job, the coolest guys I have met in a while.

I just wanted to let everyone know that the HPP guys know their stuff for the 03/04 cobras.

Last edited:

mosconiac

Established Member
Nice numbers. That will be a blast to drive.

Just for future reference, were you using a 3.2" with your 4# lower or the OEM?

The 3.2" alt/4# combo will underspin the alt by 8% (versus all OEM) and the OEM alt/4# will overspin the alt by 13%. Based on your comments, you probably had a 3.2" and went back to OEM (2.6") to get higher alt speeds.

BTW, I think you have the alt pulley size backwards...smaller makes the alt spin faster (overdrives the alt).

LTHL VNM

Don't call it a comeback
Established Member
and it still doesn't look as good as another certain silver terminator up there in the desert LOL!

nice numbers david, i want a ride

davidsk5018

Established Member
mosconiac said:
Nice numbers. That will be a blast to drive.

Just for future reference, were you using a 3.2" with your 4# lower or the OEM?

The 3.2" alt/4# combo will underspin the alt by 8% (versus all OEM) and the OEM alt/4# will overspin the alt by 13%. Based on your comments, you probably had a 3.2" and went back to OEM (2.6") to get higher alt speeds.

BTW, I think you have the alt pulley size backwards...smaller makes the alt spin faster (overdrives the alt).

The upper is a 2.8, the alternator pulley was OEM. I now have a larger pulley on it to keep it from overspinning. Sorry, I did get it backwards.

davidsk5018

Established Member
LTHL VNM said:
and it still doesn't look as good as another certain silver terminator up there in the desert LOL!

nice numbers david, i want a ride

Sorry, Tony....My car will never look as good as yours, at least unless I get some non-stock wheels. Call me when you get back into Lubbock.

Last edited:

esqeddy

VENUMUS
Established Member
davidsk5018 said:
....but I just wanted to let everyone know that the HPP guys know their stuff for the 03/04 cobras.

That is why I trailered my car 1000 miles from S. Ga. to HPP....

and am anxious to pick it up finished and trailer it back another 1000 miles next week!

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
esqeddy said:
That is why I trailered my car 1000 miles from S. Ga. to HPP....

and am anxious to pick it up finished and trailer it back another 1000 miles next week!
You're not alone. They're one of those vendors that you can always trust your car to. Awesome numbers!! :beer:

Yates...Man

TRMN8R
Established Member
davidsk5018 said:
I drove to HPP racing in Lewisville, Texas to have my car tuned and my dry kit converted to a wet kit on Thursday and also spent Friday there have some issues worked out. While on the dyno, among other problems, they noticed the car was going lean, and the voltage was also dropping. The alternator had to be replaced, and along with putting an overdrive pulley on, it should be good now. I am using a 2.8 pulley and a 4lb lower, and I thought I didn't need a larger pulley for the alternator, but it turns out I did. I would recommend that for anyone using a smaller pulley. Lesson learned. In short, the guys at HPP did an awesome job, the coolest guys I have met in a while. On spray it made 631 HP/ 691 torque (on different runs, the torque went as high as 750).

I will post the graph later, but I just wanted to let everyone know that the HPP guys know their stuff for the 03/04 cobras.

MODS:
2.8 upper
4lb lower
Steig ported blower
LFP Heat Exchanger/ radiator/ intercooler reserve
Billetflow Diff Cover
Intake
X pipe/ borla stingers cat-back
SCT chip
4:10 gears
125 wet shot
rear-seat delete
Kenny brown road racing cage
Corbeau Seats
Schroth Harnesses
Ram 1500 Clutch
Fidanza Flywheel
26 spline input shaft
and lots of other crap I can't remember now.

David, where in Lewisville are these guys located? Great numbers, can't wait to see what it does on the track.

PonyFever

'03 DSG vert 3816 of 5082
Established Member
Yates...Man said:
David, where in Lewisville are these guys located? Great numbers, can't wait to see what it does on the track.
HPP Racing
Lewisville, Tx 75056

(I know they have a 214 area code # as well but it's at work. Hopefully this # is still good for them)
I talked to Manny yesterday about some upgrades in two weeks and can hardly wait. Santa may come early for the humble little DSG 'vert.

**EDITED BY 03DOHC**

SWEET03COBRA

Established Member
Yeah HPP rocks, manny and the boys hooked me up. I made 621 and 680 I believe and backed it up with a 10.64 at 132 mph spinning. These guys rock.

davidsk5018

Established Member
Yeah, are you the guy with the vert that they were talking about? They said they thought I could beat that because you have a convertible.....we will see. You ran that on ET streets? Thats what they said.

Users who are viewing this thread