Hurricane Precautions

jg0001

Established Member
I live in Northern NJ.... my neighbor thinks I should just throw the cover on top of the car and park it near the house (which is free of trees, etc). I'm cautious about using the cover, especially if we get high winds... won't that cause it to possible whip around a lot on the car's paint?

Alternatively, I may park my car in a multi-story garage (in the middle of it). Wind will get to it, but there shouldn't be much rain or debris possibilities.

bull3441

Established Member
i had a cover on my car for a Nor'Easter and the cover last about 10 minutes. i don't have a garage either and i'm just gonna park away from trees and wooden fences. i live on Long Island.

Van@RevanRacing

I live in Northern NJ.... my neighbor thinks I should just throw the cover on top of the car and park it near the house (which is free of trees, etc). I'm cautious about using the cover, especially if we get high winds... won't that cause it to possible whip around a lot on the car's paint?

Alternatively, I may park my car in a multi-story garage (in the middle of it). Wind will get to it, but there shouldn't be much rain or debris possibilities.

I've dealt with Hurricanes since I can remember as I grew up in Florida.

If you can't put the car into a garage I would not put it on the side of the house. Shingles flying off of your house and landing on a covered car will do nothing to protect the car. I would put it in the multi-story garage as close to the center as possible and hopefully there are some walls where you can tuck it away somehow. Go up a few stories too due to the storm surge. Then I would cover it but only if you can tuck it away in a spot.

If the power goes out a generator is a great thing to have to power refrigerators, freezers and water heaters.

I hope and pray this thing dies down rapidly and quickly.

BigDan

Established Member
Find an underground parking garage or a large above ground one where nothing can hit it like at an airport parking garage.

Last edited:

jg0001

Established Member
Current wind expectations are 60-75 mph, with gusts of 80+. Ugh.

I'm wracking my brain to think of who may have an underground garage that wouldn't also be a potential flood area.

I think my best bet may be a multistory garage at the mall in Paramus, parking it as near center as possible and a level or two off the bottom. The biggest concern there, however, is getting towed (that mall is mostly closed on Sunday)... though I can't see that they'd really be checking especially on this coming Sunday.

jg0001

Established Member
i had a cover on my car for a Nor'Easter and the cover last about 10 minutes. i don't have a garage either and i'm just gonna park away from trees and wooden fences. i live on Long Island.

What do you mean by lasted 10 minutes? Before it was ripped off by winds or what?

zporta

KB INSIDE
Established Member
Were going to get crushed. Get your car ready man. I wouldn't go underground. Scope out some garages tomorrow and find the most concrete walls possible

SCMOKN

Established Member
I've dealt with Hurricanes since I can remember as I grew up in Florida.

If you can't put the car into a garage I would not put it on the side of the house. Shingles flying off of your house and landing on a covered car will do nothing to protect the car. I would put it in the multi-story garage as close to the center as possible and hopefully there are some walls where you can tuck it away somehow. Go up a few stories too due to the storm surge. Then I would cover it but only if you can tuck it away in a spot.

If the power goes out a generator is a great thing to have to power refrigerators, freezers and water heaters.

I hope and pray this thing dies down rapidly and quickly.

Skip the cover it wont take long to get blown off.

I had to leave mine out in 05 when Charlie came thru. I parked on the side with the least amout of wind. Park close to your own house you really don't have to worry to much about your own shingles but the surrounding houses shingles are the one to watch out for.

Van@RevanRacing

Skip the cover it wont take long to get blown off.

I had to leave mine out in 05 when Charlie came thru. I parked on the side with the least amout of wind. Park close to your own house you really don't have to worry to much about your own shingles but the surrounding houses shingles are the one to watch out for.

When Wilma blew through my roof tiles sounded like a deck of cards being shuffled. I could hear the roof tiles flying off my house and slamming my neighbors house.

Bottom line, get the car somewhere safe. Depending on how the hurricane hits you the wind can come from multiple directions.

F8L SN8K

Established Member
Time to go on vacation in another state ;-)

Where I live we don't have any natural disaster to deal with outside of tornado season. And to be honest when they come through my cars are the last thing I'm worried about until the storm has passed.

Last edited:

dirtyo2000

DirtyO2000
Established Member
Lol I know the feeling. Luckily I have a garage on the house and one that I built to hold the two cars (20x20) I cut all the trees down that were in the area. I'm still parking all my hoopties around the garage to absorb some of the direct winds. I careless if the roof blows off just dont fall in or slam against my generator.

jg0001

Established Member
I just scoped out a number of multi-level garages in the area. One has buildings on both of its longer sides, so perhaps if I parked on a ramp, I'd be covered from the bulk of the wind. If anything, I'd be concerned I may get towed if I left it there (it's a shopping center lot // office lot which even during business hours is pretty damned empty on the weekends, so any car parked there all night would stand out).

My second choice, so far, is a hotel's multi-level lot, which shouldn't notice cars left overnight as there'd be a ton of them... but it isn't as nicely enclosed. It's not a busy hotel and it shares it's lot with an office building, and it doesn't require any window tag or gate passage, so towing shouldn't be a risk at all.

tomshep

Another R Addict
Established Member
I would think patroling a parking garage is the last thing on people's mind.

As another alternative, what about approaching the hotel and see if they will work a deal to let you park in the garage?

Tom

Van@RevanRacing

Time to go on vacation in another state ;-)

Where I live we don't have any natural disaster to deal with outside of tornado season. And to be honest when they come through my cars are the last thing I'm worried about until the storm has passed.

Totally agree. I couldn't handle an Indiana Winter. Nope. I'm staying put. I could care less about cars and property. However, having gone through this crap multiple times trust me when I say that every ounce of property you can protect is one less PITA claim you have to deal with through an insurance company adjuster. Long drawn out process. I had to wait 6 months for an appraiser to look at my roof after the last hurricane (Wilma). Then they tried to say there was nothing wrong with it. It was eventually replaced completely after 24 months of haggling.

If you have damage get additional opinions and don't just take what some adjuster says the value of the repair is.

That's my .02 and hope none of you has to go through that process.

ponyboy96

Established Member
Sounds like you should just get out of there for a couple days. That's the best way to keep the car, family and other items safe. Like Van, I grew up in Florida and had to deal with hurricanes. Best to just get your stuff and go. Hit the roads now before it becomes a parking lot and all the hotels are booked.

If you must stay, get to higher ground. Parking it underground is a good way to turn it into a boat or submarine. The real damage from hurricanes come from the storm surge and flooding.

F8L SN8K

Established Member
Totally agree. I couldn't handle an Indiana Winter. Nope. I'm staying put.

I hate the winter as well but the first time a hurricane, earthquake, fire that destroys everything, tsunami happened I'd pack my stuff grab the kids and say I'm out.(like a las Vegas dealer)

The thing I hate about Indiana weather is that it could rain, snow, be humid, sunny, cloudy, dry. ALL IN THE SAME DAY. LOL Dont like the weather? Wait ten minutes and it will change. Drag racers here are like top fuel teams working and tuning on the car seconds before the burnout due to the drastic weather changes

Last edited:

bull3441

Established Member
What do you mean by lasted 10 minutes? Before it was ripped off by winds or what?
yes. i ran out like an idiot and covered it one more time and it flew of again. those winds were like 45-50 mph

Users who are viewing this thread