I am still looking for a Lightning...

Juice33

Patently Awesome
Established Member
How does this one sound? Here is his description:

2001 FORD SVT LIGHTNING-BUILT MOTOR INCLUDES FORGED CRANK ,MANLEY H BEAM CNNECTING RODS AND VENOLIA PISTONS.HI-PO ROMEO HEADS.ENGINE ALONE COST OVER $12,000 TO BUILD.ONLY HAS 2000 MILES ON MOTOR.REBUILT TRANSMISSION WITH SHIFT KIT. RECENTLY DYNOED AT 379 RWHP AND 503 RWTQ. HAS SCT LIVEWIRE TUNING SYSTEM,NEW PAINT.CAL TRAC TRACTION BARS,QA1 SHOCKS. MOTOR WAS BUILT BY BOB HUARD FROM SANDOWN NH AND SHOULD BE BULLETPROOF. TRUCK IS LIKE BRAND NEW WITH FLAWLESS BODY AND PAINT

Sorry for the caps, but that is just a copy pasta move.

I talked to him on the phone today. He is the original owner of the truck, then sold it, then got it back. The engine blew a couple of times so he put the new built one in. To me it looks like a quality engine from the description but I was wondering if you guys could help me out with what you think about it. He is asking $15,800. It is Black (the color I really want right now), I think it has 58000 miles on the body with drag racing (that is how the engine blew the first time). It has a stock, non-ported blower on it. From what i gathered there are only the stock pullies on it too.

I ran the Carfax report and the truck was never in an accident. It failed emissions testing in September due to an exhaust leak at the header. he told me he would be fixing that before the truck is bought. He definitely seemed like a good dude over the phone.

I really like the truck and I am going to check it out in a couple of weeks when I get the chance, I wish I could go see it this weekend but I am getting Lasik done and I don't know what I will be like after the surgery.

sams99lightning

BOOSTED!!!
Established Member
id try and talk him down a little bit maybe to 15 or 14.5 but ifs its super nice dont insult him. the power seems a little low for having a built motor, but i guess if its at stock boost its not to low. see if its got headers done to it also or any type of cold air intake because if it does then the power is low. i wonder if the person he sold it to blew the motor and then he bought it back at a low price? id ask that question. id also ask why it had to be repainted already, you gotta remember car fax doesnt show everything because whatever doesnt go through the insurance company doesnt show up it could of been in a accident and paid for cash to get fixed. good luck tho man if its nice id go for it.

qurtrn10

Established Member
Why would you have a $12k built motor and a stock blower? Just doesn't make sense.

Juice33

Patently Awesome
Established Member
id try and talk him down a little bit maybe to 15 or 14.5 but ifs its super nice dont insult him. the power seems a little low for having a built motor, but i guess if its at stock boost its not to low. see if its got headers done to it also or any type of cold air intake because if it does then the power is low. i wonder if the person he sold it to blew the motor and then he bought it back at a low price? id ask that question. id also ask why it had to be repainted already, you gotta remember car fax doesnt show everything because whatever doesnt go through the insurance company doesnt show up it could of been in a accident and paid for cash to get fixed. good luck tho man if its nice id go for it.

I would definitely talk him down, it's the best part about buying a vehicle sometimes, the negotiation is always fun. I went over that stuff with him on the phone. The dude that bought it from him did blow the motor while drag racing on a track. I don't know if has aftermarket headers or intake done, I will have to ask about that. I also asked about it being painted and he said that it was not in an accident but it needed new paint to look a lot better.

JohninMD

Established Member
I don't know but does it sound like a bullet-proof motor with what is listed?

There are many people who have modded their truck then return it to stock or near stock to sell. Maybe he had a whipple on there and sold it to make some cash and put the original blower back on.

Juice33

Patently Awesome
Established Member
There are many people who have modded their truck then return it to stock or near stock to sell. Maybe he had a whipple on there and sold it to make some cash and put the original blower back on.

Yeah that is very possible.

He said "it is ready for a kenne Bell to be put on there." So maybe one was already on there? Either way, if I bought this truck I would definitely save some pennies for a KB to be plopped on top of there.

Juice33

Patently Awesome
Established Member
So does anyone have any opinion on this trucks built motor? I really want to make a move on it and I just want to know if the motor was done right.

Thanks fellas!

J.Rovirosa

Established Member
I'm not a fan of buying someone else's project. If you can find it I'd buy a stock'ish one.

^Yup. Besides not knowing who did what to the truck once it left the factory and the quality/attention to detail of that work, if you're in any way anal about missing bolts or parts, stick with as unmolested a truck as you can find.

This isn't a flame to those selling modded trucks....just the way I see it.

SVT-BansheeMan

up the bayou
Established Member
Why would you have a $12k built motor and a stock blower? Just doesn't make sense.
Because some people dont have tons of money to spend.

I did that same. I built the best built engine i could afford. That way the platform is there in the future. It was either that or just build the bottom end and put a twin screw on top. IMO i made the right choice contrary to what ANYone thinks.

As for the OP. If the body is in great shape and everything checks out to be true, id buy it at the asked price.

Just think if you go buy a stock one that was reverted to stock. Or one that hasnt been pulley. You slap a pulley on there then vent the block down the road. Then you will wish you had a built engine. On the other hand, you dont know how this one was threated. But that goes the same for any used vehicle. It's a gamble either way imo.

Last edited:

Juice33

Patently Awesome
Established Member
So no opinions on the build itself? Damn!

I have had a Lightning before (2003 SB) that I bought used and stock and had a good time with it. I did the usual beginner mods, like pulleys, tune and catback and had a blast with it.

I have found some good looking stockers too with decent mileage as well. I just figured with this one, I won't have to worry about building the engine in the future and it is "ready for a KB" to be put on top of it according to the owner.

I know this truck has lived a rough life. Lots of drag strip runs and a couple of rebuilds of the stock motor, then finally a built motor. I figured if the engine was truly builetproof like the guy says then I may as well go for it. The body has been completely redone and painted (no accidents according to carfax or the owner). I want a fun toy for a decent price that I can use a lot.

SO has anyone heard of Bob Huard and how he builds engines? Maybe I will ask that in the NE section.

DjKush

Established Member
Buy a stock one save sum cash and build it urself it's a lot more fun and u know exactly what ur putting in. That way you won't risk anything bro:. IMO

92GreenGT

Turbos FTW!!!
Established Member
I got a 03 Stock one you can buy if you would like, good price too ;) Fly down, I'll pick you up at the airport and you can drive it back home!

Juice33

Patently Awesome
Established Member
I got a 03 Stock one you can buy if you would like, good price too ;) Fly down, I'll pick you up at the airport and you can drive it back home!

email me pics and price at [email protected]

Well someone in the NE section knows the guy that tuned it and says that he is a hell of a good tuner. Himself and quite a few other people he knows have had their cars tuned by the same guy, Pete from Performance Dyno in NH. I am definitely leaning towards this truck, unless I can get an 03-04 stocker for around the same price (which I think I have a possible 03 SB lined up for around $16k).

Tazman1

fast is not fast enough!!
Established Member
Hey I have seen 92 green GT's truck in person. It's very clean and he has only raced it a few times at the track. I can vouch for his truck. He lives only 45 minutes from me.

As for the built motor in the one you are looking at. I would ask who built the motor and I would want to see receipts for what he paid for.

Cause I can tell you this. I just spent about 10 grand on having a motor built. Complete long block too. So I would want to know how long ago he had it built and who did the work.

Users who are viewing this thread