I finally got hit by the squeaking throw out bearing.

Randee of the Redwoods

Clueless. No...really.
Established Member
Yep. Finally happened. I just now verified the tob is causing the squeaking I've been hearing. Seems to be in the early stages, but now I can't drive it until it's time to go to the shop(gotta change the blower pulley first). So, I'll be saying goodbye to my car for god knows how long for the head swap and throwout bearing work. And I'll be taking plenty of pictures to make sure NOTHING is screwed up(paint, seats, etc). While I am pissed that this is happened, I'm even more pissed that I have to take it to a dealer for the work. I know for a fact they are gonna %$*@ something up big time although I AM hopeing for the best. If you are reading this and have had the throwout bearing done, tell me anything I need to know. Dealer service writers don't know anything and they will tell me that to my face, so I'm expecting him to not know about any tsb's or anything else. Just let me know what to expect. Car runs like a raped ape now and if doesn't run the same when I get it back, I'm really gonna go ballistic. The only dealer I DO trust is over 3 hours away and I can't get my car there. Please tell me everything will be fine........:( :( :(

DaleM

Sebring SVTOA
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
Randee,
If they don't screw everything up will you write about that? I've gone to my dealership locally and nothing has gone wrong yet. My car is #374 with 30,000 miles. Lots of warranty work and no problems yet from the dealership. Even lots of mods and they haven't denied warranty work either.

BlueOvalBill

Established Member
My TOB was fixed without any issues. I even left my Pro 5.0 shifter on (but I haven't done ANY power-adding mods). My pressure plate was replaced due to "some hot spots" so they checked my rear tires for excessive wear relative to the front tires (to try to detect abuse). Several thousand miles later there's no chirping from the TOB. The dealer had the car for a week. But I was out of town most of that time. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

BlueOvalBill

Established Member
Originally posted by drmustang
What does a bad tob sound like?

Mine sounded like a really loud belt-squealing noise. I usually heard it while stopped at a stoplight in nuetral after driving the car around town (in stop and go traffic) for about 10-15 minutes.

BLK_03

Established Member
I have had two TOB's replaced. It is really not that big of a deal. While the tranny is down, try to get a good look at the retainer sleeve. If there is any wear on that, I would suggest replacement. On my second TOB replacement, the tranny came out and the retainer sleeve dropped on the floor. At that time, Ford was replacing entire trannies for broken retainer sleeves. I believe now they are servicing the trannies. There was also an updated clutch/flywheel/pressureplate/ system. The fingers on the pressure plate were redesigned to place less stress on the TOB. Don't know which one you have, but may be worth a mention.

Also, on the head swap, good luck. I have several friends that have gone in recently for the swap and Ford is saying "huh-uh, not gonna send a head."

wjfawb0

Established Member
My 02 GT had the squeaking throwout bearing. I sprayed white lithium grease on it and the squeaking stopped for 30,000 miles. My Cobra hasn't squeaked at all. :shrug:

Randee of the Redwoods

Clueless. No...really.
Established Member
Thanks for the replies. Lemme give you some more info on the car just to help.
It's a first run. Only problem I had so far was the cam cap tick. Fixed a while ago. I took it in for the head tick last year. It went through the process and was verified to have the tick, and was TOLD by the dealer that everything would be taken care of under warrenty. Well, I should have gotten it in writing so I could prove the tick was verified BEFORE I put the mods on. I'll be calling tomorrow to let them know to get the stuff ready so I'm gonna go ahead and ask about mods. I won't tell about the pulley, and they know about the air filter already, but I'm gonna mention the newly installed catback just to see how they react when I mention "mods". I'm gonna have a calm conversation and play him a bit to see how mod friendly he is to maybe take a chance and leave the Lightening pulley on. We'll see.
I JUST switched over to full syn oil a couple thousand ago so I'm supposing I'm gonna have to supply oil and a filter for when the put everything back together.
Oh yea, I was also told of the Apten cooling mod but don't know if they'll do that for me while swapping the head.

BLK_03

Established Member
In all honesty, I wouldn't even TRY taking it in with that pulley on. I don't care if the tech was my dad and the service writer my mom. Leaving that pulley on there is like playing with fire, and when it comes to Ford warranty, they love to burn. CAI and catback is not that big of a deal, but if for whatever reason, a Ford rep comes to look and a pulley is on, it doesn't matter what the dealership told you... What's it take to pull off that pulley, like 20 minutes tops? Take it off.
Good luck.

§ilver§nake

Quiet Thunder
Established Member
Originally posted by DaleM
...Lots of warranty work and no problems yet from the dealership. Even lots of mods and they haven't denied warranty work either.

DITTO; my dealership is great to work with. The service manager understands that these are performance cars and that people are going to mod them. In fact, his technicians did the exhaust and gear installs for me.

maddrabitt

Established Member
When my cobra went in to have the tranny replaced because of the retainer sleeve, the dealership didnt even care that there was a brand new centerforce dual friction clutch on there. Damn, when i towed the car in the tranny and x pipe were in the trunk of the car and they couldnt care less. Then a few weeks ago my intercooler pump went out. I went in with all my mods, including pulley and they didnt care. Id say just find a cool dealership, but if you cant it should only take a few minutes to takethe major mods off

Users who are viewing this thread