I have applied with the FAA Sky Marshalls

Ginsu

Established Member
I like my department but I am always keeping my eyes open. About the only thing I do not like about my job is the pay :sad. So anyway I have seen some things on the web and the pay starts at 35G (base entry salary) a year and up to 80G's. Also it is a federal job and I have 11 years of military time that can probably be rolled over to retirement. Now I am waiting for a letter to be mailed letting me know if I am eligable or not. I would need to do some more research but if I am eligable I will start the hiring process and take a position.

Here is a link if anyone else has thought about it...FAA Sky Mashalls

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
Ginsu,

That is a bogus job. Let me tell you, since 9-11, the FAA has asked for help with the Sky Marshall program from all other govt agencies, including ATF, DEA, Customs, Fed Postal Inspectors, Border Patrol, etc. So,we've each had a turn.

3 round trips Newark to Miami in a day kind of sucks, especially on an oversold flight or one with "bad" air (a stewardess told of this term as I was losing my lunch over North Carolina).

You might get to detain an unruly drunk or someone crapping on the beverage cart(true story), but it isn't worth the pay increase.

I know locally around here you hit top pay in 3-5 years and without overtime Patrolman 6 (lowest grade) is making $58K with overtime and road work about $68K.

A patrolman 1 with 10 years on the job is making base of $67K plusroad work and overtime.

my cousin is a local SGT, with average OT he made $96K last year.

Go to Long Island, NY and the Suffolk County Police start at $75K.

So whether you go Sky Marshall or another dept, you will most likely have to relocate, might as well make it for the cash and easy retirement. But,simply put, you are probably better off not in the Marshalls.

Adam, hoping not to be getting on a plane anytime soon:xpl:

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
You do NOT definitely need previous Law Enfocement or Military Service to qualify.

See if you meet any of these quals:

"FV-G: 3 years of general experience. Such experience may have been gained in administrative, professional, technical, investigative, or other progressively responsible work; OR Completion of all requirements for a bachelor's degree in any field.

FV-H: One year of specialized experience equivalent to the FV-G level. OR Completion of all requirements for a doctoral degree or three full academic years of graduate education in criminal justice, public administration, police science, law, or aviation management.

FV-I: One year of specialized experience equivalent to the FV-H level.

Specialized Experience: Examples include law enforcement experience and other security-related experiences such as conducting criminal investigations; performing inspections or evaluations to determine compliance with laws and regulations affecting aviation; developing or implementing policies or procedures affecting aviation security; and providing security risk, threat, or vulnerability assessments related to aviation security.

For a "G" rating and initial pay scale, you only need the classes that complete a Bachelors degree, even without graduating. Or three years relative general experience (not neccesary L.E.)

Fill out the application on line, they are hiring like a bat out of hell.

Good Luck
Adam:rolling:

Ryan

It's Not Your Concern
Super Moderator
Dayum!!! now my turn

Originally posted by sohowcome
Woohoo I applied all 19 pages worth.......... lets see what happens

Ryan

It's Not Your Concern
Super Moderator
Yeah Zach sooo...
attachment.php

Originally posted by FSVTO

Yea they would, I belive i remember something about him haviing top secret clearence so ya they would!

Ginsu

Established Member

Yea they would, I belive i remember something about him haviing top secret clearence so ya they would!

That is one thing RT has over me, :burn: the most I had was a secret clearance...no wait I did have a limited Top Secret at my last duty station :idea:

Ryan

It's Not Your Concern
Super Moderator
SSgt Ginsu :p, you must mean a Interim Top Secret.......I was a 'spook' so I had some more stuff behidn the TS :)

Originally posted by Ginsu

That is one thing RT has over me, :burn: the most I had was a secret clearance...no wait I did have a limited Top Secret at my last duty station :idea:

Ryan

It's Not Your Concern
Super Moderator
I just finished it. I am surprised at the questions that pertain to me. All the inspection ones and stuff, I have quite a bit of expericence in. Maybe...just maybe!!

Ryan

It's Not Your Concern
Super Moderator
Yeah, I figured there would be alot...but just think how many they will need if they want to do a decent job....Tons of flights a day

good luck man, you'll need it, I belive there is just over 80,000 people applying for the same positions.

Ginsu

Established Member
Here is another thing to think about...do you remember how many people took the initial test for your department and how many made it to the hiring interview? I think there were 35 people that took the test with me and since then I have only seen 2-3 others get hired.

Users who are viewing this thread