I think Im coming back.... maybe.

simshahh

Party2Go
Established Member
Hey everyone. I have been a part of the svtp family before, jumped to the srt8 family and now could be coming back. Ill still have the GCSRT8, but ran across a 03 Cobra that I might not be able to pass up, which brings me here so hopefully I can get a few answers.

I found an 03 Cobra with 70k for $16000. Now I have looked online and its pretty hard to find one in the price range. Anyways, I went and looked at it and took it for a drive. Immediately the clutch seemed bad and something wrong with the transmission. The sales guy said it has a short throw shifter in it and takes some getting used to. It was super hard to get out of any gear while driving, and impossible to take out at high rpm's. Coming back into the dealer, it took me a few minutes to get it into reverse. I had to push the clutch at hard as I could for it to happen. I dont think thats just from the short throw, right? Could it just be a clutch??? I stalled the car right off the bat, no free play in it whatsover. Soon as I let it out even the slightest amount it started grabbing....

It ran strong tho, the wife said she could tell it wanted to go, but every time I tried to shift I would have to wait for the rpms to come down if I took them high. The only other concern I had was some popping noise. When we were driving it was like a muffled bang, which happened to occur when I was stopping. So I tried to repeat what I did, nothing. Back at the dealer, sitting, it happened again, sounding like in the right rear 1/4. I think its just the speaker popping, kind of like a muffled "woof".

I think thats it. I just wanted to know about that short throw/clutch/transmisson or any other things to look for. The guy asked me what parts are for the clutch, I told him around $500, so he said he would take that off the price. If its a clutch, no problem. If its more, thats what I dont want to get into. Its completely stock other than a magnaflow exhaust. Not to say it was never pullied or chipped, but Ill never know. Anyways, any help is very appreciated, as we are expecting to go back Monday and pick it up. Thanks in advance!:beer::beer:

TVSCobra

Established Member
Pass on it man. Find a better car, sounds like this one was rode hard and then traded in.

simshahh

Party2Go
Established Member
I can pass, its not like we are looking for one really. Just thought it was a good deal until we looked at it. I was just bored the other night and looked for fun. If it were just a clutch I wouldnt be worried, but my concerns are more with trans problems and such. True good deals are hard to find sometimes.

MalcolmV8

Established Member
Have a mechanic check it out for you. If it's just a clutch or clutch adjustment issue no big deal. If it needs a new tranny then time to renegotiate price.

simshahh

Party2Go
Established Member
I'd love to get the car even if it were a clutch issue. Right now it's 50/50. Wife is more on yes side, I'm a little more on no. We might go back tomorrow and take an extended drive, get it on the highway. Even when the car was not running it was super hard to get it into gear. On the way home we stopped by one other dealer that had an 04 and the gears were smooth. I think trans problem unfortunetly.

Stalker27

Established Member
If it's hard to get in any gear sounds like clutch needs adjustment. If it was just one particular gear o would say bad syncro's. Highly doubt ALL the syncro's are bad. Sounds like clutch isn't fully disengaging. Mine is kind hard to put in reverse so what I do is trick it. I go to put in reverse and u can feel it don't want to go so I don't force it. Instead I come back to neutral, let clutch out, push clutch back in and it will go in reverse no problem

Last edited:

zacharyt1122

Established Member
I had a similar but not so bad issue when I bought my 03, except mine was stock. The car about refused to go into reverse. I just adjusted the clutch by putting it in first then pulling up as hard as I could on the clutch pedal and then pushing down. That one may have a firewall adjuster, see if you can play with that if so.

Hope it works out in your favor:beer:

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
If you're going to take it out again, why not have a shop check out the clutch and transmission. At least you'll know what you're really dealing with. Could still end up being a good deal. But unless you do check it out you won't know for sure.

94vert50

Established Member
Just a thought - why not try reaching underneath the dash and popping the adjuster in a few clicks to make sure the clutch cable is in adjustment. If it drives nicely after that, you know it's just clutch cable adjustment. Search Clutch Adjustment in terminator forums and it's one of the first threads that pops up. I don't think that's an amazing deal for the car at 15.5k, but it isn't bad.

RoadRash

Established Member
Be sure to do a leakdown test .. its worth the money. If it has been abused, it may have some engine damage as well as a clutch. That $100 test will save you thousands ...

jcveron

Established Member
like said get the car checked. do the leakdown. offer 13-13.5k. if it is the tranny, viper spec t56 all the way

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
It never hurts to offer a low price, worst case is they'll say no. That is if you really want it, try to get yourself a decent deal so you can use money towards repairs. 13-13.5 like others said is what I would shoot for.

Users who are viewing this thread