I want 14" brakes, I don't want 18" wheels..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
anyone considered jsut running gt-500 brakes, wheels and tires. i know the name of the game is staying 17" though. that was probably gonna be my plan. u need to use the kit from vintage venom to do it though. there may be clearance issues.

I have emailed Rob and I am in the process of trying to finding out if that F14 caliper is from the Brembo F50 family. If so it may fit R58s.

cobra-boss

Established Member
Real Ford 95Rs and AFS 95Rs do clear the 14" Alcon setup, I have both and both will work... without stick on weights.

I've been busy this week and have not had time to do a write up yet, but I will try this week.

Discerning...thanks its my car, I will post some more soon.

Jim

Last edited:

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
Real Ford 95Rs and AFS 95Rs do clear the 14" Alcon setup, I have both and both will work... without stick on weights.

I've been busy this week and have not had time to do a write up yet, but I will try this week.

Discerning...thanks its my car, I will post some more soon.

Jim

AWESOME! Thank you for coming into the thread with the hard core tech!

Thank you Jim!!:rockon::beer:

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
I looked at a 98 cobra wheel this weekend and I DON'T think it will work with the Alcon kit, although I have not done a trial fit. Like the 03-04 cobra wheel the 98 has a inner lip that I believe will not allow the wheel to seat. I know someone with some 98 wheels and will try to borrow one and try.

Jimmy, you my want to block off half if your duct so you are only blowing air into the center of the rotor and no air on the rotor face, this will keep the rotor form cooling at different rates and avoid cracking the rotor. Also did you get my PM from Corral answering your questions?

Jim

Yes Jim I did and thank you so much! Both for the info and for sharing that bad ass photo of your car with the Roush/Alcons. That's my background on my laptop now!:rockon:
I am planning on doing the exact cooling duct mod you are describing after reading a post by MFE that he was cracking rotors with the same plate. He posted pics of it partially blocked off either at CC or the Corral, I can't remember which. Further recommended by you makes it a MUST DO.
I highly value info from guys like you who have a lot of track experience and know what works.

bit

Happiness is being blown!
Established Member
Has anyone tested this combo under track conditions or only fitment in the garage? My iForged wheels clear my brakes by less that a 1/4". I found out that at the track they would start to rub the wheels under heavy braking. I now run a Cobra R wheel for the track.

BLK03SVT10TH

Mods? What Mods??
Established Member
Maybe this is a silly question, but do you think there are any worries about Heat Transfer between the Rotor/Caliper and the Wheel/Tire with almost no space between the two.

NyteByte

Pro-Freedom
Established Member
Will these kits fit under '98 Cobra wheels?

The standard 4-piston Brembo with 13 inch rotors will indeed fit under a 98 Cobra wheel (17x8). I have run this setup, and it's pretty tight, but there is more than enough clearance. Believe it or not, it's about the same clearance from the spokes as a stock 03 Cobra wheel (17x9).

Anything larger though and I'd doubt it would fit.

tomustang

Returning Video Tapes
Established Member
Maybe this is a silly question, but do you think there are any worries about Heat Transfer between the Rotor/Caliper and the Wheel/Tire with almost no space between the two.

I was thinking the same thing, since vented rotors are meant to expel hot air but would be now choked because of clearance

phillySVT

Bang Bang
Established Member
Man I would never have thought that would fit. I fit 14 stoptechs behind my stock 18" 350z track wheels with out any trimming. Even on a 18" wheel the 14's were super tight on a 350. People said it couldn't be done. But thats just insane.
How close is the face of the caliper (where it says Roush) to the back of the rims?

Last edited:

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
Unfortunately this last series of questions I do not yet have answers for.

I for one am surprised to hear that a wheel with 1/4" of clearance hits when hot and driven hard. That's .250", that's a lot of clearance, in my mind.
How much LESS than 1/4"? What brake set up? Which Cobra R wheel?

I am pretty sure I have read a few places that minimum clearance recommended by Brembo is 3mm. or .118".

The heat topic I believe can be sufficiently addressed by modding my cooling plates to restrict the air just to the rotor center and less on the face with a simple partial block off plate shown here on MFE's potent Fox car.
brakeductwithblockoffplate.jpg

Last edited:

BLK03SVT10TH

Mods? What Mods??
Established Member
I was thinking the same thing, since vented rotors are meant to expel hot air but would be now choked because of clearance

I wouldn't be worried about the hot air, I'd be worried about the radiant heat coming off of the rotor and caliper heating up the rim and bead of the tire.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
Even though this heat rejection ability inside a 17" wheel is not readily known at this time, something to consider is that the 14" set up runs significantly cooler than the 13".

So even though it is closer I expect that it will operate at lower temps.

Take a look at this chart from Vintage Venom:

track-temps-2009-10-25-large.bmp

Track Validated - 50% lower front brake temps....that's 400 degrees lower..!
The results are so impressive you may not believe they are legitimate. We promise, they are.....
Results:

Avg STOCK brake temps: Front: 876º Rear: 516º

Avg Cobra R - Brembo temps: Front: 862º Rear: 385º

Avg F14-Stage II brake temps: Front: 475º Rear: 371º

Temp improvement absolute: Front: 401º Rear: 145º

Temp increase improvement in percentage (from ambient): Front: 49.5% Rear: 29.8%
Note: Only the front brake hardware was upgraded (calipers/pads/rotors), yet significant performance improvements were also notes in the rear brakes due to the fronts improving so much.

Subjectively, both drivers reported some brake fade after the 6th lap with the stock brakes. Also, both drivers noted modulation was significantly improved with the F14-Stage II brake set up as compared to the stock Mach I brakes.

Now in the interest in full discloser this test was run with 18" FR500 wheels.

Last edited:

blackonblacksls

Established Member
Hey any clue how a caliper like this would perform on a manual brake setup?

any info you have on something like that would be appreciated.. Maybe even a pm if you have the chance.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
A Baer/Alcon 4 piston 14" inside an R58:

BaerAlconinsideanR58.jpg

This does not look like a 14" rotor. Are you sure it's not a 13" or something?

I believe that is just an optical illusion from the angle of the pic.

If they were 13s that caliper would not be anywhere near that close to the inside rim.

I could be wrong but that was one of a sequence of shots showing the Baer/Alcon 14 inside an R58.

HYBRED

That Just Happened
Established Member
Do you realize the implications of this finding?
Well I do, and I can tell you that although 18s are all the rage today in the Cobra wheel fashion world, THEY ARE NOT CHEAP!!! Neither are the tires! I have been pricing both.

You should price 20" 315's sometime. Speaking of which, Will mounted up a brand spanking new set of NT05's on the Camaro last weekend :banana:

I KNOW I KNOW! I'm evil that way.:-D

Who needs big brakes any way...

They just slow ya down.

:lol::lol::lol:

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
You should price 20" 315's sometime. Speaking of which, Will mounted up a brand spanking new set of NT05's on the Camaro last weekend :banana:

:lol::lol::lol:

OH MY DEAR... Kat I can only imagine.:dw::nonono:

I'll bet it's fun to toss around now though!

....."That's what she said":rollseyes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread