Identity Theft Prevention

Mike K

مسافر عالمي
Established Member
Anybody use an identity theft prevention service like www.lifelock.com? I was wondering what you thought of it and has it ever saved you? What other companies are out there? I am thinking about signing up with LifeLock (unless somebody here recommends something better). I have never had an issue with identity theft, but better to take preventative measures than trying to restore my identity.

-Mike

cj3113

King of Controversy
Established Member
Did a huge college research paper on identity theft. It is some pretty scary stuff. Check out familysearch.org. Gives away almost all deceased people's SSNs.

Your father passes away, your mother is the widow, thief sees an obituary, finds your fathers SSN, Name, DOB, applies for a CC. CC company doesn't check death records, send it out. Your mother receives a bill and assumes it was stuff your father had purchased.

That said, I'm afraid I can't say anything about lifelock.

DKS2814V

Moderately Modified
Established Member
I use Identity Guard. Seems to work okay for me. It's $11 a month, and I get free credit score updates (from all three sources), and they give me monthly notices on my credit. Since my Sister and one of my good friends both had credit theft issues within a one month period, I took the plunge.

www.indentityguard.com

Common

Established Member
Lifelock is one of the best companies out there. I hear nothing but good things about them. My mom and pops got it iirc.

Owner of the company had his ss# plastered all over and NOBODY could steal his identity....he did it to make a point...

AAG

Established Member
Lifelock is one of the best companies out there. I hear nothing but good things about them. My mom and pops got it iirc.

Owner of the company had his ss# plastered all over and NOBODY could steal his identity....he did it to make a point...

Actually someone did in fact steal his idenity and life lock isn't all what its cracked up to be.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/CRIME/05/22/lifelock.flap.ap/

Last edited:

DKS2814V

Moderately Modified
Established Member
It's a rip off IMO.

You can put a "freeze" on your own credit if you feel that your information has been jeopardized. do some research www.clarkhoward.com

That would entail you actually keeping up with it periodically. I don't, and I don't have the desire to do it. For $10 a month, I don't mind paying someone to do it, plus I get access to my credit scores, and they fix any issues that arise.

It's purely a service that you can consider a convenience....

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member

Actually someone did in fact steal his idenity and life lock isn't all what its cracked up to be.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/CRIME/05/22/lifelock.flap.ap/

LifeLock is BS. The owner got bitched. :read:

klarkent42

Man of Steel
Established Member
Did a huge college research paper on identity theft. It is some pretty scary stuff. Check out familysearch.org. Gives away almost all deceased people's SSNs.

Your father passes away, your mother is the widow, thief sees an obituary, finds your fathers SSN, Name, DOB, applies for a CC. CC company doesn't check death records, send it out. Your mother receives a bill and assumes it was stuff your father had purchased.

That said, I'm afraid I can't say anything about lifelock.

Holy shit, I was able to find my deceased uncle's SSN :eek:
WTF?! That's some scary shit...

Jefe

Established Member
I'll look into that. FYI: LifeLock is only $9 a month.

Our homeowners policies(Farmers) come with $30k for idenity fraud expenses.

You need to figure out what you are buying though. Most of the ID theft companies offer a monitoring system and cant actually do anything to stop it. They only notify you if something has happened(like ID shield)

We can add ID Shield to Homeowners/Renters policies for $5/mo.

Nvr_Spds

Pushrod > 4v
Established Member
You can subscribe to get your credit reports when ever you want them. Jst keep an eye on them, and if something shows up, get it taken care of..

cj3113

King of Controversy
Established Member
Holy shit, I was able to find my deceased uncle's SSN :eek:
WTF?! That's some scary shit...

I couldn't believe it when I first heard about it. I found both of my grandfathers'. It also had addresses and DOB's listed.

As scary as it sounds, if somebody really wanted to come after you, there is nothing you can do to stop them in today's world. That's why it is so support to not make yourself an easy target.

wvmystichrome

Established Member
You'd better watch out on Lifelock. The last time I heard the owner, who makes the commercials, had his identity stolen something like a dozen times or so. Even they are not able to protect you 100%.

Users who are viewing this thread