Injector install without removing Whipple?

04cobraken

Established Member
Ready to install id1000s on my Cobra and was assuming I had to pull the blower to do so. Had a friend tell me I could do it without pulling the blower. 2.9 Whipple standard inlet with Fore rails. Anyone ever do this without pulling the blower?

04cobraken

Established Member
Thanks for the link. Looks easier to pull the whole unit imo.

As for the TVS it has crossed my mind. Figure I should try to spin the 2.9 a little harder first before I switch though but you have me thinking. Lol

MalcolmV8

Established Member
I had a 2.9 Whipple standard inlet, then upgraded to the crusher inlet. Ran it at 30 PSI on a built motor. Got so sick of all the problems and especially that non removable inlet. I eventually switched to a TVS and don't regret it. Even though it only peaks 24 PSI on my motor its still a hell of a fun ride and low / mid range is actually stronger than the 2.9 was.

As for rails and injectors, I've done it countless times on the 2.9. Depending on how your fuel hoses are attached you may possibly get the injectors swapped without pulling the blower. I've done it a couple times but honestly it was even more frustrating and took just as long if not longer than just pulling the whole assembly. Save yourself the pain and just pull it.

04cobraken

Established Member
Just looking at the car and I'm definitely more comfortable with pulling the blower to do it.

MalcomV8, any regrets with swapping the 2.9 for the TVS? Any track times with either?

ctgreddy

Established Member
I had my blower bolted to my lower intake (not installed on engine tho) and got my injectors in with fore rails. Altho with it on the car I'm not sure if you'd be able to get them all out. It really isn't that hard tho to pull the whole assembly especially on a 2.9 standard inlet.

MalcolmV8

Established Member
MalcomV8, any regrets with swapping the 2.9 for the TVS? Any track times with either?

No track times, just street. No regrets. Since I had the whipple at 30 PSI I definitely feel a loss in top end but the instant torque of the TVS in mid range is unreal.
My patients were getting thin with the 2.9 with having to pull it all the time to work on things. I'm constantly tweaking and experimenting with the fuel system, different injectors etc. and that means blower off each time. The crusher inlet rubbed my hood so I had to notch it, fiber glass and get it repainted on the underside. IAC motor was smashing the a/c line so I had to get a custom adapter made by Cobra Engineering. When I went to custom cams I had bypass valve issues and on the 2.9 Crusher assembly the only way to change it is to not only pull the blower but completely disassemble it and separate the blower. After doing that a couple times believe me I was getting so sick of this blower. Then when I switched to a high compression built motor the RPMs wrap up and down so quickly I was destroying lower pulleys every 400 miles. To much inertia to spin up and down so rapidly. So at that point I needed to abandon the traditional lower pulley setup and go with an Innovators West damper with a 4 lb ring on it. I was afraid I'd snap the crank snout at that point so that was it. Yanked the 2.9 for good and got a TVS. Should have done it years ago. Swapping injectors and playing with fuel setups is a breeze with the removable inlet and I've also experimented with different bypass valves and I can swap them out in a few minutes. IAT2 temps are better and a lot more consistent. Meaning the 2.9's temps would really sky rocket on hard WOT pulls. The TVS cruises warmer than the 2.9 did but the temps don't climb nearly as much when beating on it. Low and mid range is better on the TVS. I mean it makes over 700 ft/lb torque at only 4k rpms on my setup. Yes it lost some top end hp as I expected going into it but still a fantastic move.

I had my blower bolted to my lower intake (not installed on engine tho) and got my injectors in with fore rails. Altho with it on the car I'm not sure if you'd be able to get them all out. It really isn't that hard tho to pull the whole assembly especially on a 2.9 standard inlet.

Yeah huge difference on the work bench. I'd swap injectors and rails in seconds with the whole blower / lower intake assembly on the bench. The huge difference is you can get your hands in there and to remove the passenger's rail and injectors you can lean it back at an angle that would hit the valve cover in the car assuming your hands got in there. Its doable in the car, I've done it but dang its a struggle and a half. Much quicker to just pull the assembly out.

04cobraken

Established Member
So once the whole assembly is out there is no need to separate blower from the lower assembly? Just angle the rails out?

Also, I have the older style Fore rails. Did you need to notch the blower with the id1000s?

MalcolmV8

Established Member
So once the whole assembly is out there is no need to separate blower from the lower assembly? Just angle the rails out?

Also, I have the older style Fore rails. Did you need to notch the blower with the id1000s?

Correct you can swap rails / injectors without separating the blower from the lower once the whole assembly is out.

My first set of Fore rails which were where old design needed clearancing on the top as it would hit the blower inlet.
Also ID1000s sit taller so its very helpful to slow the holes where it bolts back to the manifold. You'll get the bolts in so much easier.

04cobraken

Established Member
Thanks a million! Time to get these injectors in and spin this thing a little harder. If I'm not happy then I'll throw a TVS on it.

testorossa1989

Established Member
I tried every possible way and without damaging your injectors it's easier to pull the entire assembly. You won't be able to have the rails clear the intake side with the valve covers there

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread