intake fender or engine bay?

urmaker45

Established Member
I have a jlt high boost intake that mounts in the fender well, would I make more power with this or jlt in the engine bay?

rxpwhistler1

HP Junkie
Established Member
Jlt

I think this is a pretty debatable subject. I have the chrome BBK that is flat in some spots and not only does it get VERY hot, it's also restrictive (so I would assume), however, many people say that it doesn't really matter. Someone even told me a Ford tech has a 700HP Terminator and runs the same intake.

That said, I have a JLT high boost in my garage and I am debating if I want to run it in the fender with the 12" filter, or, cut the pipe and have it under the hood.

I am interested to see what people say. I have read several threads and opinions are all over the map on whether or not the CAI is better or the RAI...

Carbd86GT

You're Gator Bait
Established Member
JLT has already done this test, and the high boost made more power than the other 2 intakes (the Ram Air and the standard Cold Air). The test was also done not too long ago, maybe 3-4 months back and the results were posted on this forum.

raym5_0

on 3 u go
Established Member
would you rather start with close to ambient temps for you intake charge, or ingesting approximately 130* temp air from RAI.......IMO its less heat for the intercooler to remove. Its probably not much of a difference untill you get to mods like Killer Chiller and remote ice boxes in the trunk where you start seeing IAT2 near ambient because of cooling of AC or ICE.

whitedevil95

@the03cobro
Established Member
On my old 95 347 stroker i made better power with a simple C&L Elbow and big filter underhood than I did with a CAI in the fenderwell.

As for temps. I ran a TwEECer on that and did a bunch of data logging on my air intake temps and the only time the under hood intake ran significantly hotter was in traffic or at a stop light. As SOON as you started moving the air flows under the hood and it would drop back to ambient air temps.

Now on a supercharged cobra it may be a bit different. I remember on that JLT test the numbers were around 8rwhp difference?

Users who are viewing this thread