Intake sucking in oil from valve cover

holiks03cobra

Established Member
18951185_1368590516523235_8707717644530045702_n.jpg

This is something that recently started. My maf sensor has oil all over it as well. Can I put a breather on the valve cover and be done or could something actually be wrong?

Soap

Established Member
The intake is supposed to suck oil mist into the intake.......that's how a PCV system works.

--Joe

cj428mach

Established Member
If you have a prefilter and are still getting oil clear down to the maf you have a problem.

Rambro

Established Member
Is it possible OP is taxing the pcv system? He's running high boost on a 2.9 whipple. I had pre filters and a oil separator when I still had an eaton on the car and still had oil in the intake and it would puff smoke on start up. I deleted the pcv and no more smoke or oil in the intake.

Soap

Established Member
If you have a prefilter and are still getting oil clear down to the maf you have a problem.

Those JLT prefilters do not prevent oil from getting into the intake, all they do is slow it down. The steel media inside the prefilter just helps catch some of the oil, but certainly not all of it.

The only way to completely prevent oil from getting into the intake is to get rid of the PCV tubes that connect to the inlet/supercharger and put breathers on the valve covers.......or do a remote catch can setup.

--Joe

holiks03cobra

Established Member
Is it possible OP is taxing the pcv system? He's running high boost on a 2.9 whipple. I had pre filters and a oil separator when I still had an eaton on the car and still had oil in the intake and it would puff smoke on start up. I deleted the pcv and no more smoke or oil in the intake.
I was running the same boost (24/26lbs) on the other motor and didn't have this problem.
The intake is supposed to suck oil mist into the intake.......that's how a PCV system works.

--Joe
I know that but this is more than a mist. This is after a couple weeks of driving.
Any ideas on what? This is a recently built motor that just started doing this. Motor has been in the car and running for about 5 months.

cj428mach

Established Member
Those JLT prefilters do not prevent oil from getting into the intake, all they do is slow it down. The steel media inside the prefilter just helps catch some of the oil, but certainly not all of it.

The only way to completely prevent oil from getting into the intake is to get rid of the PCV tubes that connect to the inlet/supercharger and put breathers on the valve covers.......or do a remote catch can setup.

--Joe

Filtered air is supposed to go in the passenger side to replace air taken out of the drivers side that then goes into the intake.

Ive always ran prefilters and have never had enough oil to make it down to the maf. My tb and intake were dry until I switched away from the steeda separator on the drivers side to a jlt separator. Then oil will puddle in my tvs inlet and make its way to the tb blade. After switching back to the steeda separator my intake and tb are dry again.

Soap

Established Member
Filtered air is supposed to go in the passenger side to replace air taken out of the drivers side that then goes into the intake.

Filtered air does not go IN the passenger side. The tube is under vacuum, it is pulling air/oil/mist OUT of the engine and into the intake tract.

--Joe

01yellercobra

Established Member
Any ideas on what? This is a recently built motor that just started doing this. Motor has been in the car and running for about 5 months.

What are the specs on the new engine? Larger ring gaps can cause more blow by would could be your issue.

cj428mach

Established Member
So how does air enter the system? from the other side of the pcv tube thats on the back of the blower also under vacuum?

pcv_system_extracting_moisture.jpg

Our system operates identical to that except when in boost.

Users who are viewing this thread