IRS center section swap

rider4life350

Established Member
heres what I'm doing and why. I currently am 4.30 gears and a detroit locker and a mcleod twin disk clutch. The car is such a pain to drive its almost not even fun. What it does is sometimes when i pull out it chatters and sometimes, sometimes its smooth. When i pulling out while turning if im not real careful one tire spins a little bit then the locker locks jerking the car then all hell breaks loose lol. I dont know if its the clutch, locker, gears, or a combination of the three. Personally i think its a combination of the gears and locker because of such a high gear its so torquey. What do you guys think? For those of you that are thinking i cant drive, thats not the case. I can drive stick very well, never had this issue with any other manual car ive ever driven.

Anyway so what i want to do is swap my center section for another one i have that is completely stock. My question is what all do I need to replace when I do this? I assume seals where the axles go in the center section and obvously new gasket for the cover but is there anything else i need to do? I have never messed with the rear on a cobra before.

any help ideas/help would be greatly appreciated.

04cobrawhine

Established Member
Axle seals, axle shaft bearings (they go in from the outside before the seal), and might as well do a full bearing kit, pinion and carrier, a new crush sleeve, shim kit to set backlash in the new unit and maybe replace the clutches in the carrier if they're worn out. I believe ford racing sells a rear end kit. It's the same for all 8.8s so you just have to buy axle seals and axle shaft bearings separate. O and don't forget to use friction modifier in the fluid, or RP which has it in it already. However, IMO I would go with a tru-track. Doesn't have the harsh locking or sacrificed drivability like the lockers but much stronger then the factory LSD.

Users who are viewing this thread