irs swap

JBender2007

Established Member
i really like the way the cobra drives with the irs and wanted to see everyones opinion of it and if anyone on here has swaped the solid axle for it on the mach 1...

Crackerballer

Oh baby!
Established Member
My friend did.... I think he's crazy, other than that though I am glad he did. Is ride quality your only consideration?

If you bought the car for the ride quality you bought the wrong car. If you want the car to handle, add a 3-link setup and then you will have the handling of the IRS with the traction of the SRA.

JBender2007

Established Member
No, I haven't done anything like that. I am just considering it because a friend has a Cobra that wants a SRA, so it would be a straight trading of parts. Although I would probably buy the brace, diff cover and solid bushings before install.

Mobil1Mach

Established Member
I did the swap. It feels significantly more stable and planted in the twisties.

I highly recommend you do the IRS bushings while you have the rear end out of the car. I owned a Cobra with stock IRS and can tell you the difference between that car and my Mach 1 with MM equipped IRS is dramatic.

Also - See the sticky at the top of this forum...

JBender2007

Established Member
I will definitely check it out. I think I will go with the IRS set up, I just love the way it handles. I already planned on doing the bushings while it's out of the car, no sense in pulling the subframe more then once lol.

04Mach1Blurr

1st GT500 M122 Eaton Mach
Established Member
Ive swapped, and don't regret it. Full tilt boogie racing's full bushing kit, 4.10 gears, billet flow diff brace. it handles great, only reason im thinking about going to a built SRA is because Im making power now and want to go faster. but probably wont do it until its not a DD anymore. Definitely check the sticky above in this Mach1 section. useful

JBender2007

Established Member
are you running the terminato t-56 with your swap? if so, how do you like having the 4.10 gears. a friend of mine is considering gears but isnt sure about 4.10.

smitty2919

Established Member
My friend did.... I think he's crazy, other than that though I am glad he did. Is ride quality your only consideration?

If you bought the car for the ride quality you bought the wrong car. If you want the car to handle, add a 3-link setup and then you will have the handling of the IRS with the traction of the SRA.

I was JUST about to post a thread about an IRS vs a Panhard Bar/Torque Arm/FLSFC's...

I am in the same boat at the OP, my Mach is a DD so ride quality is an issue. I'm OK with my MRT street springs, no ISO's in the front and removed upper rear ISO, stock shocks.

I've been going blind doing research on a PHB/TA setup over the IRS but have not found anyone saying how well it rides. Just that you can get a SRA to perform as well as a IRS...but nothing in terms of DD comfort.

OP, I don't mean to thread-jack...but figured we could both benefit from asking questions.

Last edited:

04Mach1Blurr

1st GT500 M122 Eaton Mach
Established Member
are you running the terminato t-56 with your swap? if so, how do you like having the 4.10 gears. a friend of mine is considering gears but isnt sure about 4.10.

No I have the stock Mach Tr3650 with a stage 3 clutch. It rips man, 4.10s in a T56 are also nice for a pullied Eaton. Also with the 5 speed 5th feels like a stock 4th gear pull. No problem.

I daily drive my Mach and I swapped for the handling as well as ride comfort. A bonus was the exhaust and me polishing my stingers.

JBender2007

Established Member
I was JUST about to post a thread about an IRS vs a Panhard Bar/Torque Arm/FLSFC's...

I am in the same boat at the OP, my Mach is a DD so ride quality is an issue. I'm OK with my MRT street springs, no ISO's in the front and removed upper rear ISO, stock shocks.

I've been going blind doing research on a PHB/TA setup over the IRS but have not found anyone saying how well it rides. Just that you can get a SRA to perform as well as a IRS...but nothing in terms of DD comfort.

OP, I don't mean to thread-jack...but figured we could both benefit from asking questions.

by all means, ask your questions here. i have been going insane searching for the answers i need lol.

JBender2007

Established Member
No I have the stock Mach Tr3650 with a stage 3 clutch. It rips man, 4.10s in a T56 are also nice for a pullied Eaton. Also with the 5 speed 5th feels like a stock 4th gear pull. No problem.

I daily drive my Mach and I swapped for the handling as well as ride comfort. A bonus was the exhaust and me polishing my stingers.

i know he plans on going whipple soon, but i will talk to him about running the 4.10s The car pulls great now with just a steeda intake, 2.7 upper, and upr off road-x with steeda catback. but i figured some gears would bring a little extra life out of it.

i plan on running a steggy stg 6 ported eaton with upper and lowers on my mach and keeping the tr3650, just wasnt sure how well it would hold up to the power. i had a friend do a termi swap in his auto mach and the damn thing was insane until the trans started giving out and began having over heating issues.

Crackerballer

Oh baby!
Established Member
I posted my thoughts in the sticky up top, but overall just determine what is important to you. You can build either one to be great for all around use, some just prefer the extra straight line competency of the SRA versus the more refined ride quality of the IRS.

IMO for a high horsepower street machine that may see any track use (open, drag, autocross) you can build the SRA cheaper and replace broken parts cheaper.

JBender2007

Established Member
I posted my thoughts in the sticky up top, but overall just determine what is important to you. You can build either one to be great for all around use, some just prefer the extra straight line competency of the SRA versus the more refined ride quality of the IRS.

IMO for a high horsepower street machine that may see any track use (open, drag, autocross) you can build the SRA cheaper and replace broken parts cheaper.

i will definitely take a look at the sticky at the top of the thread. i appreciate all of the help.

Users who are viewing this thread