Is it illegal to cut through a parking lot to avoid a stop light in NC?

Kiohtee

Established Member
I've always heard it was, I've always seen it done but I've never seen it ticketed. I realize it's probably a waste of time and paperwork but I wanna know if there's really a statue on this or if it's just some mythical do-good to keep everyone in line.

DOHC MARK VIII

Mustang ***** since 1970
Established Member
Don't know about N.C., but I do know of two different friends in S.C. who got ticketed for that over the years. Depending on the circumstances, it could be hard to prove plus a cop has to actually be there to see you do it.

2L8ULUZ2

Established Member
Yes it is illegal here in NC. The statute states that you must stop at the appropriate marked stop line in your lane of travel for any red lights or stop signs. Cutting through a parking lot and back out on the roadway is a violation and you can be ticketed for it. I've charged it once in 10yrs of being a cop and that was due to it causing an accident with injuries.

Kiohtee

Established Member
Yes it is illegal here in NC. The statute states that you must stop at the appropriate marked stop line in your lane of travel for any red lights or stop signs. Cutting through a parking lot and back out on the roadway is a violation and you can be ticketed for it. I've charged it once in 10yrs of being a cop and that was due to it causing an accident with injuries.

Can you please slap me with hard proof, such as the actual statue? Not that I don't believe you.

65fastback2+2

Established Member
it will be in most states because when you cut through a parking lot, you are trespassing on private property. if you arent doing business at that property then you have zero right being there.

VirtualSVT

lolololololololololol
Established Member
I know it's illegal in florida. I can't remember the statue but I caught one once.

Had to take a serious shit too.

2L8ULUZ2

Established Member
Can you please slap me with hard proof, such as the actual statue? Not that I don't believe you.

If you believed me then I don't think you would be asking for hard proof which is easy to provide. It's GS 20-158(b)(2) and the specific wording is: When a traffic signal is emitting a steady red circular light controlling traffic approaching an intersection, an approaching vehicle facing the red light shall come to a stop and shall not enter the intersection. After coming to a complete stop and unless prohibited by an appropriate sign, that approaching vehicle may make a right turn.

The key thing to point out in the wording is the use of the word "shall". That is interchanged with the word "must" when it comes to our statutes. So if you have a red light in your direction when approaching an intersection the statute states that you "shall" come to a complete stop. Cutting through a parking lot is not coming to a complete stop and as such is a violation of the statute.

wesessiah

Established Member
If you believed me then I don't think you would be asking for hard proof which is easy to provide. It's GS 20-158(b)(2) and the specific wording is: When a traffic signal is emitting a steady red circular light controlling traffic approaching an intersection, an approaching vehicle facing the red light shall come to a stop and shall not enter the intersection. After coming to a complete stop and unless prohibited by an appropriate sign, that approaching vehicle may make a right turn.

The key thing to point out in the wording is the use of the word "shall". That is interchanged with the word "must" when it comes to our statutes. So if you have a red light in your direction when approaching an intersection the statute states that you "shall" come to a complete stop. Cutting through a parking lot is not coming to a complete stop and as such is a violation of the statute.
I'm curious how this charge went, as my DA's office would drop if I charged it that way... if they come out on the other side of the pva into a perpendicular street, they aren't entering the intersection. thumbing through the blue book, improper passing on the right (if going to the right) unsafe movement, and reckless driving could work depending on the situation as well.

zhisel, those that I mentioned are 20-150.1, 20-154 (a) and 20-140 there are bound to be some other obscure statutes that could be used, but I'm not the "gotcha" kind of guy that wants to make 1,000 traffic stops a year and get people for some obscure statute that gets overlooked by everyone else. I'm also not writing someone a citation for failing to sign their registration card 20-57 (c) (it's a misdemeanor here.)

a lot of cities have ordinances such as charlotte's unlawful turning at intersections, or however they have it worded. btw, I don't know these statute numbers off hand, I just so happened to have my blue book (quick reference book) right next to me.

Last edited:

silver03svt

Official Snowflake Melting Machine
Established Member

This code section seems kind of sketchy to me. If the vehicle hasn't technically approached the intersection, then how can it be bound by law to stop at it? i.e. convenience store parking lot entrance 100 feet away from stop sign/stop light, car pulls into that parking lot PRIOR to entering the intersection proper, and cuts through said property. How can that be enforced under the statute you posted?

Here in VA, we have a SPECIFIC statute for it, and I am sure NC probably does too. Here is the VA law:

§ 46.2-833.1. Evasion of traffic control devices.

It shall be unlawful for the driver of any motor vehicle to drive off the roadway and onto or across any public or private property in order to evade any stop sign, yield sign, traffic light, or other traffic control device.

(1993, c. 117.)

wesessiah

Established Member
This code section seems kind of sketchy to me. If the vehicle hasn't technically approached the intersection, then how can it be bound by law to stop at it? i.e. convenience store parking lot entrance 100 feet away from stop sign/stop light, car pulls into that parking lot PRIOR to entering the intersection proper, and cuts through said property. How can that be enforced under the statute you posted?

Here in VA, we have a SPECIFIC statute for it, and I am sure NC probably does too. Here is the VA law:

It shall be unlawful for the driver of any motor vehicle to drive off the roadway and onto or across any public or private property in order to evade any stop sign, yield sign, traffic light, or other traffic control device.

(1993, c. 117.)
we don't, i mentioned above the ones that could work in different scenarios of it. some places do have an ordinance for it. if nothing else, the unsafe movement one would be the safest bet, as it's one of the catch alls we have, similar to RDO (resist, delay, obstruct) for someone that needs to be arrested but hasn't broken other laws yet... for those not in law enforcement, i don't mean use it lightly, or charge someone who you don't like.
20-158 (b)(2) is what you charge people for running a red light. maybe in his scenario the person came back into the lane/went into the intersection. that's why i asked him how the charge went.

Last edited:

DOHC MARK VIII

Mustang ***** since 1970
Established Member
Really appreciate the responses from "LEO's" above. You guys are truly on the front lines in what can quickly escalate and become hand to hand combat daily in this country and you don't receive enough credit for what you do, Thanks.

Hitman318

My other car is a cruiser
Established Member
Illegal in Bama too. Don't forget you can have municipal ordinances as we'll. Just because there isn't a state statute doesn't mean a municipality hasn't created one of their own.

Prototype007

Established Member
I do not know if it's illegal in KY, but a young man was cited for that recently and the judge was upset that an officer wasted the courts time with such a thing.

COBRA_ESQ

Established Member
New York - A rare instance of legislative clarity

VTL § 1225. Avoiding intersection or traffic-control device - No person
shall drive across or upon a sidewalk, driveway, parking lot or private
property, or otherwise drive off a roadway, in order to avoid an
intersection or traffic-control device.

sunburned

I miss my torque
Established Member

No way that holds up. That's a 'stop before making a right on red' law, has nothing to do with 'evading a traffic device'. See below.

(1993, c. 117.)

Apparently this is the law in MD as well because I got a ticket for it a few years ago. I sat at a light through at least 5 cycles, a known terrible intersection and has been since I was a little kid. Effing state trooper was posted up in a parking lot, got me and another person that pulled in behind me. Should have gone to court for that, what a waste of resources.

2L8ULUZ2

Established Member
I'm curious how this charge went, as my DA's office would drop if I charged it that way... if they come out on the other side of the pva into a perpendicular street, they aren't entering the intersection. thumbing through the blue book, improper passing on the right (if going to the right) unsafe movement, and reckless driving could work depending on the situation as well.

zhisel, those that I mentioned are 20-150.1, 20-154 (a) and 20-140 there are bound to be some other obscure statutes that could be used, but I'm not the "gotcha" kind of guy that wants to make 1,000 traffic stops a year and get people for some obscure statute that gets overlooked by everyone else. I'm also not writing someone a citation for failing to sign their registration card 20-57 (c) (it's a misdemeanor here.)

a lot of cities have ordinances such as charlotte's unlawful turning at intersections, or however they have it worded. btw, I don't know these statute numbers off hand, I just so happened to have my blue book (quick reference book) right next to me.

In the one that I charged they decided to take it to a trial and ended up being found guilty (along with a few other traffic charges). You would have to see the intersection that this occurred at to understand the reason for the charge as I like you are not one to charge for every traffic offense I can. There is a gas station on the corner and cars would cut the corner through the edge of the parking lot to avoid the light (the stop line and parking lot corner were about 3ft apart). It was a right turn but turning on red was prohibited at this particular intersection.

Users who are viewing this thread