Is it illegal to cut through a parking lot to avoid a stop light in NC?

Guy Fawkes

Established Member
it will be in most states because when you cut through a parking lot, you are trespassing on private property. if you arent doing business at that property then you have zero right being there.

lol no. Youre not trespassing until the owner or the caretaker of the property says you are.

I'm curious how this charge went, as my DA's office would drop if I charged it that way... if they come out on the other side of the pva into a perpendicular street, they aren't entering the intersection. thumbing through the blue book, improper passing on the right (if going to the right) unsafe movement, and reckless driving could work depending on the situation as well.

zhisel, those that I mentioned are 20-150.1, 20-154 (a) and 20-140 there are bound to be some other obscure statutes that could be used, but I'm not the "gotcha" kind of guy that wants to make 1,000 traffic stops a year and get people for some obscure statute that gets overlooked by everyone else. I'm also not writing someone a citation for failing to sign their registration card 20-57 (c) (it's a misdemeanor here.)

a lot of cities have ordinances such as charlotte's unlawful turning at intersections, or however they have it worded. btw, I don't know these statute numbers off hand, I just so happened to have my blue book (quick reference book) right next to me.

Yeah im willing to bet if thats the only statue hes trying to use, it could be easily fought. Depending on the situation though like stated above.

AtlanticRJ

Established Member
Definitely illegal in NC. I live in Boone, but regularly commute to the Winston Salem/ Kernersville area. Saw a cop pull someone over for trying to cut through a parking lot during rush hour. He flew down the side of the road and tried to make the quick turn...didn't work out too well for him.

u n v kenny

Established Member
Florida (probably applies to most states)

316.074 Obedience to and required traffic control devices.—
(1) The driver of any vehicle shall obey the instructions of any official traffic control device applicable thereto, placed in accordance with the provisions of this chapter, unless otherwise directed by a police officer, subject to the exceptions granted the driver of an authorized emergency vehicle in this chapter.

(2) No person shall drive any vehicle from a roadway to another roadway to avoid obeying the indicated traffic control indicated by such traffic control device.

(3) No provision of this chapter for which official traffic control devices are required shall be enforced against an alleged violator if at the time and place of the alleged violation an official device is not in proper position and sufficiently legible to be seen by an ordinarily observant person. Whenever a particular section does not state that official traffic control devices are required, such section shall be effective even though no devices are erected or in place.
(4) Whenever official traffic control devices are placed in position approximately conforming to the requirements of this chapter, such devices shall be presumed to have been so placed by the official act or direction of lawful authority unless the contrary shall be established by competent evidence.
(5) Any official traffic control device placed pursuant to the provisions of this chapter and purporting to conform to the lawful requirements pertaining to such devices shall be presumed to comply with the requirements of this chapter unless the contrary shall be established by competent evidence.
(6) A violation of this section is a noncriminal traffic infraction, punishable as a moving violation as provided in chapter 318.

luke1333

Banned
Established Member
there are a few lights in ohio that if traffic is backed up i cut through lot or a gas station and beat everybody haha and i dont think a cop has seen me yet. pretty sure its illegal in almost all states

Uncle Meat

Zircon Encrusted Tweezers
Established Member
Illegal in Bama too. Don't forget you can have municipal ordinances as we'll. Just because there isn't a state statute doesn't mean a municipality hasn't created one of their own.
Prattville being one of those municipalities then I guess. I actually asked a Prattville officer one day when he was assisting me with an incident I was having with my car. We actually witnessed a car cut through the VatoZone parking lot to avoid the traffic light. I pointed it out to the officer who was handling my accident and he stated it's totally legal to do.

U.M.

Last edited:

nux1

Established Member
A friend got a ticket for that in here in Illinois. Sad thing is he was actually going to the store and when he was driving up he saw it was closed so he just kept going and exited through the other side of the lot. He got promptly pulled over even though he could have turned right on red anyway so it would be a dumb way to try to avoid the light.

LS2GTO

Established Member
Not trying to argue with anyone here, but I don't get how any of this can actually stand up in court. What prevents a person from saying that they entered the parking lot of said establishment with intent on going in there, but then change their mind and decided to leave instead using an alternate exit (not the one that they came in)? Last time I checked it wasn't illegal to change your mind about going into a store and you are allowed to use any exits back onto the main road you choose.

I say this because in my town there is a pretty long strip mall with several entrances, and along the street there are several stop lights between the first entrance and the last. If I were to go in the first entrance, drive all the way down to the other end of the strip mall and then exit back on the street (bypassing all of the stop lights) you're saying that's illegal and I can get cited for it?

SCMOKN

Established Member
I think in Florida it's cited as ''Avoiding A Traffic Control Device''.

silver03svt

Official Snowflake Melting Machine
Established Member
Not trying to argue with anyone here, but I don't get how any of this can actually stand up in court. What prevents a person from saying that they entered the parking lot of said establishment with intent on going in there, but then change their mind and decided to leave instead using an alternate exit (not the one that they came in)? Last time I checked it wasn't illegal to change your mind about going into a store and you are allowed to use any exits back onto the main road you choose.

I say this because in my town there is a pretty long strip mall with several entrances, and along the street there are several stop lights between the first entrance and the last. If I were to go in the first entrance, drive all the way down to the other end of the strip mall and then exit back on the street (bypassing all of the stop lights) you're saying that's illegal and I can get cited for it?

Depending on the laws in your area, yes you can. You have exited the public roadway and entered private property for the sole purpose of bypassing the traffic signals.

I think in Florida it's cited as ''Avoiding A Traffic Control Device''.

Same in VA.

Iceman II

Right Behind You!
Established Member

I would suggest you don't change your mind then. You better stop and figure out something before just passing through the parking lot. Or waste a half day or day in the court room.

servinbeatdowns

Next!
Established Member
If you believed me then I don't think you would be asking for hard proof which is easy to provide. It's GS 20-158(b)(2) and the specific wording is: When a traffic signal is emitting a steady red circular light controlling traffic approaching an intersection, an approaching vehicle facing the red light shall come to a stop and shall not enter the intersection. After coming to a complete stop and unless prohibited by an appropriate sign, that approaching vehicle may make a right turn.

The key thing to point out in the wording is the use of the word "shall". That is interchanged with the word "must" when it comes to our statutes. So if you have a red light in your direction when approaching an intersection the statute states that you "shall" come to a complete stop. Cutting through a parking lot is not coming to a complete stop and as such is a violation of the statute.

BOOM! haha, believe it!

Users who are viewing this thread