Is the GT500 Axleback restrictive? Dyno Results inside:

meekstro

Established Member
guess im going to run the gt500 with o/r h pipe....a lot of people claim it sounds great together

mikestoyz

Established Member
guess im going to run the gt500 with o/r h pipe....a lot of people claim it sounds great together

I have been running the OR H and stock mufflers. Tone wasnt bad, definitely louder than stock....but swapped to the GT500s yesterday. Similar volume to the stock mufflers(with no cats) at idle and cruise, but holy hell, when you get on it, the volume shoots up 5x easy.

I like the tone though.

MikeLTDLX

Established Member
I am on my second set of GT500s. I have, once again, grown tired of their tone. I find it very difficult to find a set of mufflers that I truly love for these cars. I think I am going to hunt around and get a set of used Roush or straight up deletes for track use. I have 3 inch bullets as resonators, so having deletes would be like having the Dynomax Bullet catback. I can not drive around daily with that range of volume, but for the track it is fine. It takes me 15 minutes to swap axlebacks, so that can just become part of the track day ritual.

Mike

StevenStarke

Fast/Reliable/Cheap pick2
Established Member
I wonder if they're restrictive at 650whp. I'll see when I tune my car with the turbo ; )

MikeLTDLX

Established Member
Has anyone tried the 3in Dynamax ultra flo axle back??
I'm wondering how it sounds?

The Ultra-Flow axleback, or the Race Bullet catback? Because I had the Ultra-Flow on my car for a while. I have a pile of videos. Here are a few:

[youtube_browser]D3GK0kLjR88[/youtube_browser]

[youtube_browser]qAjo9am4dko[/youtube_browser]

[youtube_browser]d306mbW6UOs[/youtube_browser]

And, without resonators (actually 3 inch Bullets):

[youtube_browser]EXWK6lt6fa0[/youtube_browser]

[youtube_browser]81QSMk3iwNY[/youtube_browser]

There are more as well. These are just some of the vids I have. I loved these mufflers. However, the fitment was awful and they squeaked as a result. I have seriously considered buying a set of just the mufflers and having my exhaust guy integrate them into a stock axleback, thus preventing the squeaks that came from the terrible fit of the Dynomax over axle pipes.

Mike

MikeLTDLX

Established Member
Mike had it and I believe he said it droned bad. I had the race bullet and it was like straights with no cats.

No drone at all with the resonators. The squeaks were unbearable, however.

I will say this, these were the only mufflers that had that "blowing over a bottle" tubular sound that the old 5.0s had in spades. Of all the mufflers I tried, these were the best sounding.

Mike

grnenvy

Established Member
But do the Ultra Flows DRONE? I know there muffler design is alot like Magnaflows and I had the Maggys on my car and had to sell them.
I like the idea of 3in and my Shelby mufflers are 2.5. So far the Shelby mufflers imop are the best all around muffler with No drone.
I just wish they made it in 3in because at my pwr level i think the shelby mufflers are costing me 10hp.

Last edited:

scotmach

Established Member
But do the Ultra Flows DRONE? I know there muffler design is alot like Magnaflows and I had the Maggys on my car and had to sell them.
I like the idea of 3in and my Shelby mufflers are 2.5. So far the Shelby mufflers imop are the best all around muffler with No drone.
I just wish they made it in 3in because at my pwr level i think the shelby mufflers are costing me 10hp.

Sounds like the Kooks would be perfect for you. Not too loud, no drone, but a good tone.

Big Ben

stangsofsouthflorida.com
Established Member
I have the kooks and love them. Whenever I start it up it sounds deep and turns heads. For me still the best sounding I have heard without being over the top loud. Only thing is they are pricey. I got mine cheap at a charity auction.

mikestoyz

Established Member
Other than being 2 tips, are the 2013 gt500 mufflers different? If they were restrictive, I'd figure ford would have redesigned for the '13 gt500

Users who are viewing this thread