Is this normal or is my headgasket done for?

dutch

LOL Europe
Established Member
Car puked a little coolant through the cap yesterday, so I figured it needed another burp after my oilcooler replacement 2 weeks ago.
First, I took a little out of the overflow because it was too full from the start. But I made the mistake of opening the crossover at the same time so I lost a little from the engine.

Anyway, figured I'd just start over. Capped the overflow (new cap coming this week), filled the crossover and put the funnel in. Heater on full blast, car is slightly lifted in the front, fired her up.

The biggest bubbles were soon gone, but then these small bubbles just kept coming and they increase with revs as you can see. I shut her down after the stat opened, but the small bubbles never really stopped.

Are these bubbles normal or is my HG gone? I can't imagine it, but who knows. Engine is a 20k mile reman with stock pulley! Oil is clean as a whistle, exhaust smells good as ever, no smoke, heater is blowing dragons breath in your face.

http://youtu.be/tUlAFittGD8

TRQJUNKIE

Justa Slobra
Established Member
Did you first fill from the crossover till the overflow was filled? Then cap the overflow and continue filling till the crossover couldn't hold anymore?

hob

Established Member
http://reischeperformance.com/refill.html

Per step #6

6) Start the engine and let it idle but occasionally rev the engine a bit to dislodge any trapped air. Add coolant to keep the funnel full if necessary. You will notice many large air pockets escaping at first but eventually the level will rise in the funnel as temperature goes up expanding the coolant. Keep the engine running just until the thermostat starts to open a bit. (About 170-172° with our thermostat) When this happens the upper radiator inlet will be warm to the touch. (It is normal for tiny air bubbles to still be escaping out of the funnel- this happens because the system is open and unpressurized.)

dutch

LOL Europe
Established Member
JUNKIE: the overflow was already full, I even sucked some coolant out to get it to the ADD COOLANT level, so I didn't actually fill the overflow.

Hob, thanks, that's a relief.

I found something new though. After the first burp session, I found a small puddle of coolant underneath the clutch area. There are droplets hanging from the clutch cable, bellhousing and crossmember bar. I seems to be coming from the driver side of the engine, what's back there that could leak? All the heatercore stuff is on the passenger side, right? I can't find the leak looking up with a flashlight.

ps. I pulled all the plugs on the driverside and they looked fine to me.

Last edited:

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
Besides the soft plugs, there's a threaded plug. Any aftermarket cooling mods or a temp gauge?

dutch

LOL Europe
Established Member
I meant I pulled the sparkplugs, what plugs are you talking about, might they leak?

No aftermarket cooling stuff other than that I replaced the oilcooler-block adapter few weeks ago with new gaskets, orings and stant thermostat. It's not leaking there..

Blueline

Established Member
If you opened the crossover plug and coolant came out, it will run right down the intake head and down through the bell housing exactly how you describe. Make sure eveythings tight and burped

dutch

LOL Europe
Established Member
Alright thanks guys, so to wrap this up: nobody is worried about those bubbles? And the 'leak' is probably spill that ran down the engine.

Users who are viewing this thread