Just had my debit card cloned and checking account emptied

R.D.P.

Extra Sprinkles
Established Member
Well, almost emptied. I had a little over 2k in there they got me for $1800. Used at two stores in California over the weekend and my card is still in my possession. Now the fun begins. I have no doubt I'll get my money back, but not sure how long it's going to take. ****ing thieves. I have no idea if it was a skimmer used at a reasturant or stolen from a website. This is another reason it's probably good to have separate accounts if your married - at least they only got one account.

Anyone else had this happen to them recently? I have a feeling it's just going to increase until chipped cards are required everywhere.

Last edited:

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
I'm using the chip fairly often now.

Not sure if you do, but as a precaution when I use my CC or checking car (seldom now), I pull and tug on various parts of the scanner and the key pad to make sure nothing looks out of place.

99-venom

Established Member
My brothers chipped card was cloned and used in Florida a couple of weeks ago. The thieves emptied his bank account by going to a few ATMs and pulling out cash. For some reason the thieves were able to bypass my brothers daily withdrawal limit. His bank credited his account pending an investigation.

DriftwoodSVT

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Established Member
My brothers chipped card was cloned and used in Florida a couple of weeks ago. The thieves emptied his bank account by going to a few ATMs and pulling out cash. For some reason the thieves were able to bypass my brothers daily withdrawal limit. His bank credited his account pending an investigation.

How do you empty a bank account using an ATM without putting in the PIN number?

Screw-Rice

I like BBC
Established Member
After last year and all the issues with card theft, I have gotten more into the habit of using strictly credit cards. I have heard too many horror stories of getting your money back when your bank account is hit. I have heard everything from a couple days to 2 months for it to all get fixed.

Good luck OP, hopefully they get it sorted out quickly and the thief gets whats coming to him.

black92

Hot rod Lincoln
Established Member
This is partially why I went with a CC so that there's not a direct access to my bank account. I wish you luck and hopefully it all works out in the end!

paluka21

Established Member
I also only use a credit card for all transactions. If someone steals my card number and racks up charges, it's essentially not my money they're stealing and the credit card company is always good at refunding the charges. Better than having someone steal your cash from your bank account. I just went through this with my Amex, where I believe an employee of a peruvian restaurant snapped a photo of my card when he was getting together my to-go order.

offroadkarter

Professional S***poster
Established Member
How do you empty a bank account using an ATM without putting in the PIN number?

236778-terminator-2-judgment-day-1991.jpg

Honestly though, not sure.

Also, the chips aren't 100% theftproof so don't believe that they are.

rosem32

Established Member
Using your debit cards on outside gas pumps is just asking to be skimmed....

Or inside a shady gas station. Mine was stolen at a station, they had a hidden camera over the key pad. They only got caught because the day after I used it, one tried to use the clone they made on a flight to China. It showed as pending on my online account, so I went down to the bank to get it taken care of. They reversed the charges multiple times as he was trying to use it, the bank would hit decline over and over...then finally shut down the card. The called the police, our local PD went to the gas station and found the camera and arrested one of the clerks. I never thought that they would actually put anyone in cuffs but it was just a lucky set of circumstances that they got caught.

I did have a good time going back to the same gas station to have a laugh.

So good luck and you should get your money back after going through some hoops.

Teethy

0S0SL0
Established Member
I went through this crap twice several years back when the card was stolen online. Fortunately both times I caught the offense when they tested the card with a small charge before they went for the big fish.

Anyways I found a solution at least for the online stuff. I opened a second debit card account with my bank and put a stipulation of no overdraft allowed. If the money isn't there the card gets declined. When I want to make a purchase I use the online banking to transfer money from one account to the other for the exact dollar amount before submitting my payment. If somebody steals it, there is nothing there to steal.

As far as getting it stolen somewhere you swiped it... I'm at a loss.

oldmodman

Established Member
No debit cards for me.

And I did find a clone/skimmer at my gas station once. I grabbed the plastic surround because the color didn't match and yanked it right off the machine. it was held on with double sided tape.
So I went around and pulled them off every pump. Then called 911 and two detectives showed up. I gave them the bag of skimmers that i had found. And I pointed to what I suspected were the cameras to see the pin numbers. They actually shut the station down and did quite the investigation. I was called to court to testify that I had found the skimmers and what had made me suspicious. I never did find out what the final outcome of the trial was.

And no. I don't buy gas there anymore. :idea:

BlueSnake01

Established Member
One of the reasons why ive been paying more with Samsung Pay. Creates a fake card number whevener you purchase something. Im sure people will still crack it, just wont be as easy

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
Got hit last week after the wife went to Target. Found out several others had the same thing happen.
Only got us for $174 in NJ.

The wife happened to log on and see it on the checking account only to find out the bank had called the house to report suspicious activity and were going to shut it down.
Got our money back almost right away.
The hit several ATMs at walgreens and another store and then $14 for lunch at Chik-fil-A I think. lol

Users who are viewing this thread