Just some breather/PCV questions.

crazycarlo

Established Member
Just curious if there are any benefits of using a PCV setup with oil seperatos as opposed to a breather system/catch can setup.

crazycarlo

Established Member
Yeah I'm getting oil vapors and of course the filter gets saturated and then the oil drips down and I think that's part of the reason I have an oil drip on the header causing smoke.

CJK440

Established Member
The elimination of oil odor, reduced emissions, and extended oil life.

Explain longer oil life with a separator vs. breather? I don't follow.

I can see increased emissions with a breather setup but also zero chance of intake oil getting into the port and gunking anything up. I'd be willing to bet the caked on gunk my stock 50k motor had on the back of all the secondary valves caused some efficiency issues too.

I had my breather tank in the pass front fender ahead of the wheel well. No odors or oil film there to speak of.

Last edited:

ZD302GT

Zach
Established Member
Pros: With a pcv you pull some vacuum on the crankcase which is beneficial to your motor. better ring sealing and reduced leaky gaskets.

Cons: oil in your intake (mess). Reduced fuel octane from oil vapor

racecougar

MN12 parts guy
Established Member
Explain longer oil life with a separator vs. breather? I don't follow.

Actively pulling filtered air through the crankcase is a more effective means of removing blow-by gases and moisture as opposed to passively allowing their possible escape via filtered pressure equalization. Reduced emissions and increased oil lifespan are two big reasons why PCV systems became standard equipment on passenger vehicles in the first place.

I can see increased emissions with a breather setup but also zero chance of intake oil getting into the port and gunking anything up. I'd be willing to bet the caked on gunk my stock 50k motor had on the back of all the secondary valves caused some efficiency issues too.
Cons: oil in your intake (mess). Reduced fuel octane from oil vapor
Utilizing a quality oil separator significantly reduces the amount of oil vapor introduced into the intake tract.

Last edited:

CJK440

Established Member
Actively pulling filtered air through the crankcase is a more effective means of removing blow-by gases and moisture as opposed to passively allowing their possible escape via filtered pressure equalization. Reduced emissions and increased oil lifespan are two big reasons why PCV systems became standard equipment on passenger vehicles in the first place.

Makes sense. I did drain more water out of my catch tank than anything else,

crazycarlo

Established Member
Yeah I can't tell if that's some sort of seperator or just a filter on a longer tube. I mean the car has good vacuum and all just wanting to clean the engine bay up a bit and see if it stoa the oil dripping on the header.

I cleaned the filters one day at work and let them dry then installed them and the smoking coming from the bay was significantly reduced. I think it's cause the oil is droog off the filters and down the VC onto the header.

Users who are viewing this thread