Killed 04 mystic cobra

Sweet35th

Genius/serial killer
Established Member
Well I start out with telling you about my car, so someone doesnt get 1/4 way through this and decide to flame me.

-99 35th anniversary limited edition GT
-Novi2000 3.25in pully
-Front mount intercooler
-Full exhaust
(100% stock engine, ie, heads cam, short block)

Ran 12.19 @ 117.2mph in 100% street trim with 388rwhp 395rwtq

Since then I have now dyno'd at 422rwhp 409rwtq.

Ok with that said heres the events.

--Rolling along with a group of about 15 stangs, and Im trying to find someone to play with.

In this group the only one that I figured would have a chance was the 04 mystic cobra. A friend of mine, and I knew I could probably get him to play.

His only mod (that I know of) is a cold air intake. I dont know which one but it relocated the MAF into the fender, and is HUGE!!. Hes a pretty straight forward guy, so if he had anything else im pretty sure he would tell me.

I roll along side of him doing about 60-65mph in 3rd gear (I have 3.73s so this is a good speed for me). He obviously figures out whats going on and begins to slow. We waited for the cars ahead of us (fellow stangers) to get some distance. And before I know it we are doing a lil under 50mph, and im still in 3rd gear (oops). I here him down shift, and I stab in 3rd. I got a lil jump, probably about 2ft on him. As soon as he stabs it, he made up my 2ft jump, and I was kinda sweatin....I recall thinking to myself (oh crap this cobras going to pull on me.). Thankfully as the Rs came up in 3rd gear I began to pull. By around 5000rpm I had him at the rear of my door. This is the same time he had to shift into 3rd, as he did, he dropped back to my bumper.. Through the rest of 3rd gear I pulled about another 1/2 (putting him about 1/2 car length behind my rear bumper). I went for forth, once in forth he ate back the 1/2 car, and ended back at my rear bumper. Running only to about 110-115mph I put him back to the 1/2-1 full car length behind me. (so basicaly about 1.5-2cars on him). It was apearent that I was pulling pretty decently on him in 4rth.

Now I seriously screwed up by staying in 3rd gear at under 50mph, but I still didnt think I would have that much trouble with him.

I see 03-04 cobras turnning 108-110mph all the time. I have raced LS1s that pull 112mph speeds, and have had WAY less trouble with them than I did with this cobra. Is it that most of the cobra guys cant drive? My car is realisticaly a 120mph trap speed car, but they way his cobra ran out, I would have to say it is a 114-115mph car in the hands of a good driver...

Is this car freakishly strong on the freeway, or is that kind of traps (114-115mph) that my buddy can expect from his car, with his mods and a good driver?

03CobraBro

Established Member
First of all good run!

As far as 03/04 traps go, they're supposed to run on average atleast a 110 to 112 trap... However, there was a guy a couple years back, November of 2002 I beleive, that ran a 12.34 @ 114mph with just a K&N drop in out at beechbend raceway in Bowling Green, KY. I dont know the fine detail, but many witnesses also claim he had nothing more than a K&N drop in so I just took everyones word for it. Now, exactly how he pulled it off I dont know, maybe he hit everything exactly right, maybe he had a factory freak, maybe a combo of both, but from hearsay he did it. :shrug: So your theory about a 03 Cobra driven to perfection, should pull off close to 115mph trap isnt that far off at all. But, unfortunatly no one is good enough to do it perfectly everytime, esspecially when it comes to getting around this cars IRS and the massive wheel hop it brings to the table with it. :(

The bottom line is pretty much that the Cobra's strong point is going to be from a roll, atleast IMO, until you either swap to a SRA, or add an IRS brace.

Last edited:

JNY XXX

Great kill story - love the detail. :thumbsup:

Wish I could offer you some insight on the 03/04s expected trap speeds and so forth. Instead, I'll smartly defer to the more knowledgeable folks on the board, who I'm sure will chime in soon enough.

Again, great story - sounds like it was a good run.

Sweet35th

Genius/serial killer
Established Member
Well he actualy just got his car off the dyno today.

373rwhp 354rwtq (superflow STD #s)

I have ran on this dyno and compaired its #s to a locall dynojet, and depsite being STD#s it seems to be on average about 5rwhp 5rwtq low..

But even still at 373rwhp I realisticaly only have 50rwhp on him. And despite I have 50rwtq on him as well, its at a much higher RPM, which is probably why he hung so well in the mid range.

Had we raced from a Dig im pretty sure the differance in power from his car to mine would have truely shown. Specialy since the weight differance between the two cars would be more effective from 0mph.

All and all im still impressed with the car 373rwhp with just an intake kit...Pretty cool. His torque seems low to me though...But I also dont know at what RPM they started the dyno at.

Pyro

Established Member
The Novi2000 would explain it all. Nice run. Though I'd be carefull with the stock internals. I've read that if you play hard with a stock bottom end and a blower, you're on borrowed time. Nevertheless, nice run and nice numbers. Watch out for the pullied and chipped variaties.

trey193

Established Member
Sounds dead on to me I would say his car would trap 112-114 with a good driver on a good day at the track and yours traps 118 and there is a couple cars difference, just hope that he doesnt go pulley it and tune it!:)

Kafn8td

Viperia Aspis
Established Member
You da Man Sweet35th! Beautiful car by the way!

"Is it that most of the cobra guys cant drive?"
Rumor had it that the owner of the Mystic couldn't drive. Guess he killed that rumor:burnout:

"I would have to say it is a 114-115mph car in the hands of a good driver... "
:dw: hmmmm...are you saying Dano can't drive? ;-)

Good kill!

Sweet35th

Genius/serial killer
Established Member
not trying to flame or anything, but 1.5/2 cars is not really a kill

Well you better put on your "kill filter" cause there are a few 100 posts in this sections that arnt "realy a kill."

Let me point out a few things you may have missed.

-Was in 3rd gear instead of 2nd.
-Raced only from 50mph-110 or 115mph (thats only 60-65mph)

Given those two facts, pulling 1.5-2cars I would say was a kill. Had we gone from a dig the results would have been even worse. But we didnt, so I live with the results I have.

I certainly hope you can figure out what would happen if we had ran to 140mph. As I was pulling quite hard in 4rth gear.

Im sorry if I crunched a lil soft spot in your soul by beating on a fellow cobra owner. But coming on here and saying somthing such as that is just plain foolish.

My ets are 5 tenths and 5mph faster than even the great Evan Smith drove an 03 cobra too, and that was before I made some changes that resulted in 34rwhp more than before.

Yet pulling 1.5-2 car lengths in only a 60-65mph range isnt realy a "kill" what ever.......

Sweet35th

Genius/serial killer
Established Member
You da Man Sweet35th! Beautiful car by the way!

Thanks man, was a fun day. Good turnout too.

hmmmm...are you saying Dano can't drive?

Dan is average, certainly not bad. Could use some help in launching, and a lil quicker shifting is all. That will come, he hasnt realy raced much in the past cept for the past 2 years with Tim and I being a bad influence on him.

Heck at least he got his 01 cobra into the 13s, somting a un-named individual (punch) couldnt do in his Mach1 :)

03CobraBro

Established Member
Originally posted by kcast
not trying to flame or anything, but 1.5/2 cars is not really a kill

A kill is a kill... If I shoot someone in the head and they die, I'v killed them. If I drive a train and smack someone and the blow scatters there body parts over a 100 yard radius, I'v still murdered that individual.

Its the same in that aspect, 1 car length or 5 bus lengths its still a kill. I think your getting the degree of a kill, confused with the termonology of actually beating someone in a race (which is typically refered to as "chalking up a kill".

If Sweet said he had "blown the doors" off of the Mystic, which would imply the mystic wasnt anywhere close to him by the end of the race, then you might have a point, but he mearly said he walked the mystic, and left it at that.

05 Roush

Roushcharged
Established Member
I would never underestimate the midrange power of these things. I recently walked a Gen I Viper and it was easier than I thought. Considering the same HP rating and the Cobra weighing in at 100 lbs more, you can see why they're hard to handle.

Add a quick shifting driver and a race like this could be dead even.

69gt4speed

Svt God of All
Established Member
Imho these cobras are way hard to launch decent, heavy up front, and the irs issues. Now from a roll those issues go away even a fair driver has a chance to do some damage. If I can't pull them midrange roll probably can't win for sure from a stop unless racing a fwd. Good win none the less. :beer:

Sweet35th

Genius/serial killer
Established Member
well looking at his dyno results. What realy helped him was me being in 3rd gear at only 50mph.

In 3rd gear at around 50mph I was only at around 3000rpm.

In this post you can see his dyno graph. At 3550rpm my car begins to pass his car in torque. His only advantage was being below that RPM.

http://svtoatc.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=155

And below is my dyno chart. As you can see after 3550rpm I had him beat on all sides. (the A/F was removed for reasons, please dont ask.)

I know im getting realy scientific about this. But is actualy kinda fun compairing. I wanna call him up for a rematch right now at 3am! haha.

As you will also see in my dyno graph my car was still making power when we shut it down at 6200rpm. Youll see a slight waver in my curves at that RPM as my 90mm MAF pegged. With a lil more meter the car would probably make about 435rwhp at 6500rpm, of course it would probably jetisen a rod then too. Another thing to consider, is that on the dyno I am not seeing the effects of my air/air intercooler as I am on the street..

attachment.php

Users who are viewing this thread