Killed my KB

soniclightning

Established Member
This morning I remote started my truck to let it warm up. When I went outside to leave it was making a very high pitched noise. I turned the truck off and checked the sc oil. The level was low but there was still oil in it. I put more oil in it and the noise mostly went away. Well here is my question where is the best place to get this KB rebuilt? I'm gonna call KB later and get a quote, but does anyone else service these things. I would like to shop around before making a decision.

big nasty

02 True Blue
Established Member
KB will be the place to send it if its just bearings you are look at about $450 or so if the the hole thing is toast about $850

lightninmike

skeered to mod it
Established Member
I would only send it to KB, this way here you know it was done right and if not they will warrenty their work

FordFanStan

Established Member
Mine was rebuilt by KB right before I bought it. Had all the seals and bearings replaced and all the tolerances checked etc. The cost was $500, that was about a year and a half ago and when the 2.3's were still in production. Now I bet their price is higher since they don't manufacture that blower any longer? I think it came with a 90 day warranty after the rebuild IIRC... Stan

Fade 2 Black

Gen 2 Diehard
Established Member
I'd only send it to KB also. Are you sure it wasn't an idler pulley or the like? The oil really only lubricates the drive gears. Hope it's not bad, good luck with it.

soniclightning

Established Member
I'd only send it to KB also. Are you sure it wasn't an idler pulley or the like? The oil really only lubricates the drive gears. Hope it's not bad, good luck with it.

Yeah it's definately the blower. When I took off the oil cap to fill it I saw a puff of smoke come out. Also you can definately tell the sound is coming from inside the blower. Maybe the combination of the freezing temps and the low oil level caused the problem.

4rdsvtdriver

Drive it like u stole it!
Established Member
This morning I remote started my truck to let it warm up. When I went outside to leave it was making a very high pitched noise. I turned the truck off and checked the sc oil. The level was low but there was still oil in it. I put more oil in it and the noise mostly went away. Well here is my question where is the best place to get this KB rebuilt? I'm gonna call KB later and get a quote, but does anyone else service these things. I would like to shop around before making a decision.

I just had my 2.3 rebuilt. Seals/Bearings were shot and the rotors were covered in oil and there was a lot of dirt inside. Cost me $744 shipped back to me. This was a "good" unit too! I bought off of someone else on NLOC. Haven't heard from him since I told him. :cuss: Oh, and Stan is right. It does come w/ a 90 day warranty. Which by the time I get mine on my L. It will be up. I think it is already. Sending it to KB is good peace of mind.

Last edited:

SWThomas

El Cazador
Established Member
I just had my 2.3 rebuilt. Seals/Bearings were shot and the rotors were covered in oil and there was a lot of dirt inside. Cost me $744 shipped back to me. This was a "good" unit too! I bought off of someone else on NLOC. Haven't heard from him since I told him. :cuss: Oh, and Stan is right. It does come w/ a 90 day warranty. Which by the time I get mine on my L. It will be up. I think it is already. Sending it to KB is good peace of mind.

Dang! That's $hitty.

soniclightning

Established Member
I just had my 2.3 rebuilt. Seals/Bearings were shot and the rotors were covered in oil and there was a lot of dirt inside. Cost me $744 shipped back to me. This was a "good" unit too! I bought off of someone else on NLOC. Haven't heard from him since I told him. :cuss:

That sucks man. How long did it take to get your 2.3 back? I buy alot of stuff on here used and have been pretty lucky. I bought this KB used with a JLP plenum attached. I just remembered that the bolts that hold the plenum to the blower are stripped pretty bad. I'm gonna have a blast trying to get the damn thing off.

4rdsvtdriver

Drive it like u stole it!
Established Member
Honestly I think it was about a week or a little longer (7-10 days). I was actually surprised since I was out to sea and when I called them back it was done and on it's way. I guess they weren't busy?

Users who are viewing this thread