Killing a Runaway Detroit Diesel

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
Or rather "Trying to kill..." I should say. I thought this was pretty cool how strong these motors are. Makes sense that the water was likely atomized or turned to vapor before hitting the cylinder, but still, for the engine to lower RPM and make the water act as a cooling agent instead of a death blow like you would expect is cool to see in action.

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
I remember the DD's have an emergency shut off that killed the intake air instead of just the fuel. No RPM limit if they got a whiff of some type of fuel.

blownstang01

Established Member
Those old 2 strokes had the best exhaust note ever.

Yeah, most would have a large gate valve in the intake tract to kill the air. All they needed was a leaky blower oil seal to suck the oil for fuel and rev to the sky. I know what to do to shut it down but never actually witnessed one myself, I'd probably shat my pants and run. Video is wild.

Bullitt1448

Established Member
They would occasionally lose a seal in the blower and start burning their own engine oil as fuel, the only way to stop them was to use the emergency stop, which is basically a spring loaded flap on the blower intake.

Lambeau

Superfleck Moonbird
Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia
1669837062541.jpeg

L8APEX

*Turbo Not to Scale
Established Member
Premium Member
Iirc it wasnt a thing on detroits but if you stalled some of the older cats and cummins and rolled backward in gear these engines would litterally run in reverse. Exhaust, intake whatever... it'd just run (once an old diesel was running it was like stopping the juggernaut. )

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
It's ****ing awesome hearing stories about engines we've built in the past that basically defy the odds of physics and what we know to be true about them. Unbreakable feats of engineering that put all others to shame.

Lambeau

Superfleck Moonbird
Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia
It's ****ing awesome hearing stories about engines we've built in the past that basically defy the odds of physics and what we know to be true about them. Unbreakable feats of engineering that put all others to shame.

All designed, manufactured, and in use without SLA's, CAD/CAM, 6 axis machining centers, highly refined metallurgical alloys (with ability to identify grain structure/elements), CMM, synthetic lubricants, etc.

They were truly genius.

And FWIW, punch a hole in a solid state or lithium battery, attach a water hose, and see what happens. lol.

Users who are viewing this thread