L&M intake cam numbers?

SixPak

Established Member
I did not buy any, and was not charged for any. I have worked on overhead cammed engines in the past, albeit not a coyote, and never had to replace the cap bolts.
Maybe someone else can chime in on this, first I have heard of this.

oldbones

The blue bowtie
Established Member
I am being a bean counter here, but has anyone gotten away with not replacing all 40 camshaft cap bolts during an install?
I never replaced mine when I did my exhaust cams, but probably will next time I pop the motor opened.

noldevin

Established Member
I am being a bean counter here, but has anyone gotten away with not replacing all 40 camshaft cap bolts during an install?

Are you willing to potentially break one and have to wait for a replacement?
Or worse, have it cause a problem after the install?

Shaun@AED

Torque to yield bolts can only be torqued so many times before they need to be replaced. Over torquing and you need to replace immediately.

Ford says Torque to Yield bolts can be properly torqued (no over torque) up to 7 times. These bolts can be re-torqued up to 4 times during engine machining/ assembly, which leaves the aftermarket 3 re-torques before the bolts should be replaced.

If you are concerned I would not hesitate to replace them, these bolts are cheap.

During my Mod Motor engine building days I would run across a bolt or 2 that needed to be replaced. With experienced hands you can feel the bolts stretching when they are about to give out.

assasinator

1 N the head,2 N da chest
Established Member
Honestly changing cams is easier than headers. These are free revving. You can't hurt them. Just follow directions. I had to change exhaust springs for the baby Cj's. You don't even have to do that. I tried to pay someone to do mine and couldn't get anyone to call me back. I've built plenty of engines in general and modulars since I bought my 96gt. It's not that bad.

assasinator

Established Member

I didn't change any of the cam cap bolts. Never have. Now the phaser bolts are a different story. I changed them to ARP bolts that simply torque.

oldbones

The blue bowtie
Established Member
I agree cams aren't too bad, the spring's locks suck a bit, but are just time consuming.

Jumpmaster2015

Established Member
Torque to yield bolts can only be torqued so many times before they need to be replaced. Over torquing and you need to replace immediately.

Ford says Torque to Yield bolts can be properly torqued (no over torque) up to 7 times. These bolts can be re-torqued up to 4 times during engine machining/ assembly, which leaves the aftermarket 3 re-torques before the bolts should be replaced.

If you are concerned I would not hesitate to replace them, these bolts are cheap.

During my Mod Motor engine building days I would run across a bolt or 2 that needed to be replaced. With experienced hands you can feel the bolts stretching when they are about to give out.

The dealer local to the shop wanted 7 dollars a piece for cap bolts, for a total of 300 plus dollars, including the phaser bolts. I am going with the phaser bolts only, and can replace stressed cap bolts as needed. I did some research and this guy has a great reputation and his confidence truly inspires me. I will tell him about the TTY cap bolts.

Thanks for all the info everyone, this truly is going to be an awesome week.

assasinator

Established Member

Nice to talk to you on the phone a few days ago. I'm tempted to buy these cams every day. Gotta wait just a bit.

It's also good to know my torque and power is low without the baby Cj cams swept. I want 500 on a Dynojet before I change to 15+ heads.

Jumpmaster2015

Established Member
Nice to talk to you on the phone a few days ago. I'm tempted to buy these cams every day. Gotta wait just a bit.

It's also good to know my torque and power is low without the baby Cj cams swept. I want 500 on a Dynojet before I change to 15+ heads.
I am hoping to get close to 500 but I probably wont hit that number with factory headers. I refuse to swap them so it is what it is. Hopefully ill have some good numbers to post on here so that people will buy these camshafts! If it works out i will have saved 500 dollars opposed to spending 1500 on the 4 comp cams.

assasinator

Established Member
I am hoping to get close to 500 but I probably wont hit that number with factory headers. I refuse to swap them so it is what it is. Hopefully ill have some good numbers to post on here so that people will buy these camshafts! If it works out i will have saved 500 dollars opposed to spending 1500 on the 4 comp cams.

Fortunately for me I bought the baby Cj cams and installed them. These intake cams and s few more mids will get me past 500rwhp no problem.

assasinator

Established Member
No same volume. I have roush and full exhaust. Its loud as hell anyway.

Jumpmaster2015

Established Member
No same volume. I have roush and full exhaust. Its loud as hell anyway.

Yeah, maybe you were already too loud to notice. I have the FRPP sport ABs, which are similar to the GT500s, with no cats or resonators and 3" piping. It is a tad quiet, so a small increase in volume from the extra exhaust flow would be cool.

Users who are viewing this thread