Launch techniques and sixty fts?

captainelectric

Established Member
540rwhp Mustang Shelby GT500 here EVO stage 2 with stock rear gear and 305/45/18 Nitto Drag Radials. Steeda upper and Lowers. I ran mine last night in the eighth and eased out on the clutch and ran a 2.00 sixty ft and 7.81 at 94mph in third gear at traps. Came back and let the clutch out at 3000. MISTAKE! lol. free rev. came back hot lapping and eased clutch out and floored it again and ran a 7.95 with 2.11 sixty and 94 mph. Also heated the Nittos and they hooked best at 26psi. Lowered to 20 and they spun worse. Also screwed up and had a full tank of fuel! how bad did that hurt me? How are you guys getting these lower 60 fts? Slipping the clutch a little then flooring it? Help and/or opinions appreciated. I also lost a bushing in the steeda upper so Im ordering the upgrade kit with bracket. I noticed a clunk on the way home and it wheel hopped. By the 94 mph and full tank of gas what should it run with a decent 60'? Im 275 lbs also.

1cbitten

Established Member
Not to hijack your thread but what part of N.C. are you located. I'm in the Morganton area?
Also I have not drag raced mine yet so cannot help with your question sorry.

Stripe Delete

Crazy SVT Poser
Established Member
Best I got with the exact Nittos was a 1.83 and could NEVER launch above 2200K. I was at 15lbs in the tires. Wore out the Nittos and switched to 265/40/18 ET Street radials and tried them out last night and got a couple of 1.6Xs with the best of 1.63 Never lauched over 3200K so I havent really had to slip the clutch yet. But I will try some upper 4K launches soon.

500+whp is just a bit much for the Nittos from my experience.

Mustang_Racer

Established Member
Best I got with the exact Nittos was a 1.83 and could NEVER launch above 2200K. I was at 15lbs in the tires. Wore out the Nittos and switched to 265/40/18 ET Street radials and tried them out last night and got a couple of 1.6Xs with the best of 1.63 Never lauched over 3200K so I havent really had to slip the clutch yet. But I will try some upper 4K launches soon.

500+whp is just a bit much for the Nittos from my experience.

Do you have any pics with the 265/40/18's on your car?

mobeydick

Established Member
I've cut a 1.78 60' on the Stock Goodyears. Leaving hard from a Idle like from a Stop light. Normal 1.85 60's thouigh. Lower the PSI to about 20PSI. and No more then abouty 1000 RPM.

03gobluecobra

torque steer sucks
Established Member
I believe FSMach1 has cut some VERY good 60's by revving to about 5000 RPM. He had a great write up about it maybe 6 months ago. I believe both he and Evan Smith (known as one of the best mustang drivers out there) used the same technique. They are both amazingly skilled drivers, so maybe their method isn't for everyone.

FEARSNO1

KB Shelby, enough said
Established Member
i have a lowered car, with J&M lowers with relocation brackets, steeda upper, adjustable panhard bar. i run the 305/35/18 nitto's at 10-11 psi and i have pulled a best 60' of 1.69 with the KB stage 3. (687 rwhp) i do agree that at this level the nitto's are hard to get to launch but you can't beat how long they will last compared to the competition. i have about 9k miles on this set with 30+ passes on them and still have some tread left.

my launch technique is to rev up to about 2300-2500 and dump the clutch my average 60's are in the 1.7 range. i have trapped as high as 133.2xmph. i could probably do better with different tires but my goals are to drive to the track and run my times and then drive home without having to swap tires or buying tires every 3-6 months. right now i buy tires once a year since i drive about 8-10k a year.

Stripe Delete

Crazy SVT Poser
Established Member
Do you have any pics with the 265/40/18's on your car?

Here are a couple but the tires are hard to see. The tires are only 9.5" wide which doesnt show well in the photos but they hook like hell! Notice the Lethal Performances Whippled car is running these exact tires and having pretty good luck with them.
They are .5" shorter than the stock tires but they look ok, I wish they were 1" taller and wider but by the time I go through these more options will be avail. I hope. There is just no perfect sized 18" option out yet.
They also hook extremely well on the street.:rockon:

100_2992.gif

100_2993.gif

100_2994.gif

Users who are viewing this thread