LC1 Wide band Gauge Install tips w/PICS

Mustang Matt

Established Member
I've got an xcal and a dashdaq. The easiest way for me to log a/f would be as an obd2 parameter through the cars computer.

04sleeper

Runs On "Liquid Gold"
Super Moderator
I know how to hook it to an Xcal, but not the through the ECU. Never heard of anyone doing it that way.

04sleeper

Runs On "Liquid Gold"
Super Moderator
How do you do it through xcal?
Here is what you use for an Xcal 3. A 6 Pin "Firewire" cable.

FireWireAnalogWiringDiagram.jpg

Here's what you use with an Xcal 2. A 9 Pin data cable.
Din9.gif

Both plug right into either the Xcal 2 or 3 and you download LiveLink for free here.
http://www.sctflash.com/software/LiveLink510.exe

Jefe

Established Member
Does a new Xcal 3 come with that firewire cable? Only remember seeing a USB cable and Im 1200 miles from my handheld right now....

Jefe

Established Member
Which one do I need exactly? 6 pin to 6 pin? Or do I need an adapter for the 4 pin one?

Jefe

Established Member
6 pin to 6 pin. You are just going to cut it in half anyway and splice the wires inside to your LC-1.

This is what I would buy.
6 Foot 6pin - 6pin, IEEE-1394 Firewire Cable

Cut it in half and you will have (2) 3 ft cables! :thumbsup:

Thanks, not sure how I missed this part of the process. Im a wiring newb...what wires will need to be routed and hooked up to what? Guess im going to put the LC1 in my glove box

04sleeper

Runs On "Liquid Gold"
Super Moderator
Thanks, not sure how I missed this part of the process. Im a wiring newb...what wires will need to be routed and hooked up to what? Guess im going to put the LC1 in my glove box
All you really need to hook up are 2 wires for the Analog 1 input.

Pins 3 (Brown or Yellow on the LC-1) & 4 (Ground on the LC-1) on the diagram.

It's really pretty simple. You just have to cut the Firewire cable in half when you get it and strip back the 2 wires (Orange and Blue wires in the diagram. Even though I would double check for continuity with an ohm meter just to besure) and hook them to the wires from the LC-1.

venomous99

Established Member
i also have an lc-1 but getting inaccurate readings. i did the free air calibration and grounded to the transmission. could not grounding to the engine cause a ground offset?

04sleeper

Runs On "Liquid Gold"
Super Moderator
i also have an lc-1 but getting inaccurate readings. i did the free air calibration and grounded to the transmission. could not grounding to the engine cause a ground offset?
Yes.

You MUST check for ground offset regardless of where you ground it. Also, you can program the LC-1 for reading a smaller sample range so the resolution is better. I set mine up to read between 10.0 -16.0. I also adjusted the sample rate to the lowest setting because it samples so fast.

venomous99

Established Member
i would think the calibration would take care of the offset. i have my wide band hooked up w/ an aeroforce gauge w/ the correct slope and intercepts entered. i have all the ground wires soldered together to a 8gauge wire which then terminates to ground on the transmission. i may try grounding to a different point to see if that helps. basically im seeing about 10.3 A/F when in reality should read about 11.5 according to the dyno readings.

venomous99

Established Member
still havent resolved this issue. anyone know if grounding to the tranny would cause an offset even after a cal? i may try relocating the ground to the engine if that makes a difference but i would think the tranny being connected to the motor would provide a low impedance path.

Mustang Matt

Established Member
still havent resolved this issue. anyone know if grounding to the tranny would cause an offset even after a cal? i may try relocating the ground to the engine if that makes a difference but i would think the tranny being connected to the motor would provide a low impedance path.

Absolutely. You have to offset it when using the analog connection no matter where it's grounded regardless of calibration.

Check out the a section on it in the manual.
http://www.innovatemotorsports.com/support/manual/LC-1_Manual.pdf

I didn't see what you're reading it with. If you're using the serial connection (XD-16, etc) there shouldn't be a need to offset the ground.

You might still run the LMprogrammer software and make sure the gauge doesn't have anything funky programmed in.

Users who are viewing this thread