Learning from others

KWladyka

Enjoying Life
Established Member
I spend some time at the track today and got to know some of the GN crowd. I was impressed with the amount of gauges and computer read outs they run on their cars.

Like our cars they have a battle with heat and one of their main modifications is to run a small bottle of denatured alcohol with a pump that sprays the alcohol just before the throttle body to cool the intake charge. They said it also helps control knock at high boost levels.

They also liked to use a temperature sensor located just behind their MAF to gauge the incoming air. I notice the Cobra also appears to have a similar sensor but I had not heard if that is what it is and if any one had tapped in the PCM wiring to get information from it. Does anyone have any information on that?

They also asked me about the Cobra intercooler and what were the air temps of the air before/after it passed the intercooler. I didn’t have a clue. Anyone know the answer to that question?

Another interesting mod was that they like to take off the rubber weather stripping located near the back of the hood. They said it lets the heat from the motor pass out the rear of the hood area. I see the Cobra has a similar piece of weather stripping and could also easily be removed. I wonder how effective removing it might be? However, rain/water would be problem if it were left off. Maybe it could help some of the Cobra's which tend to run on the hotter side.
:)

03DOHC

Established Member
The sensor behind the MAF is called IAT1 and measures the intake air temperature. We also have one at the intercooler called IAT2. You should be able to see those with the autotap.

CuLaTeR

Established Member
My first car was a buick GN and since then I have always had an interest in the car. My father purchased the car for me in 1987. I had no idea what I had till years later. I didn't even have the car that long. Came down to Florida on a golf scholarship to have my mint GN stolen. I went food shopping. I was pushing the food cart out to my car when I watched my car being driven away. Never to be found. :shrug:

KWladyka

Enjoying Life
Established Member
Originally posted by 03DOHC
The sensor behind the MAF is called IAT1 and measures the intake air temperature. We also have one at the intercooler called IAT2. You should be able to see those with the autotap.

Excellent 03DOHC. Any idea which wires on the PCM connect to these sensors? It would be nice to have a runtime gauge.

03DOHC

Established Member
Originally posted by KWladyka
Excellent 03DOHC. Any idea which wires on the PCM connect to these sensors? It would be nice to have a runtime gauge.
I don't know which wires at the PCM. Some of the guys are just running the autotap to display certain PID's while they drive. You could bring those two up.

NetworkingGuru

Established Member
Not sure that removing the weather stripping will help use as much. Removing the hood blanket probably does more for the car, IMHO. As for the rest, you have to realize how much boost some of those GN guys are pushing. At 25+ PSI in a GN (cast pistons stock), you had dang sure better make sure you monitor and cool whatever you can.

Users who are viewing this thread