Lets talk Clutches

Spawn

mmjax.com webmaster
Established Member
So I was down at Sebring @ Camp Steeda and had a blast but after pounding the car at 2 NMRA events, Pony Wars, and a NMCA event, this weekend has taken its toll on the stock clutch and slave cylinder.
Peddle is on the floor and the car is still partially in gear. It didn't slow me down to much going around the 3.7 miles of lemans track but it is not going to work here at home in traffic.

So the car is just over a year old now and still under 11k. Should I take it in and see what the dealer says and pray for a 2010 style replacement or is there a better after market setup and at what cost?

I haven't taken it in yet so who really knows what the dealer is going to do. I have been checking around for Mod friendly dealers. I have 2 in mind and they are not being shut down due to warranty quota's YET.

So go for the newer stock free replacement or pay for a aftermarket upgrade and if so what are the best options out there.

BTW I am still around the 550 at the wheels level and dont plan on much more in that area anytime soon. I like the class I run in NMRA and dont want to do a cage yet so 550 is working out well for me.

@ Sebring I was pulling down 140 MPH on the backstretch which is what my instructor was pulling in his Factory Five AC Cobra car that was half the weight of the GT500.

Blue Diamond

Established Member
Rich,no brainer go with the free-bee.by the time you wear through that one thay will have a new design out.just my 2ces .

Rob_03Mach

Established Member
I'm actually putting in a McLeod RXT I got from Lethat about 4 months ago. Finally getting around to putting it in. Mine started / is slipping really bad, just was wore out with no TSB symptons, so couldn't go that route. I've only heard good things about this clutch, OEM feel, 1000+hp. Lethal has the same clutch on there 2010. So, will let you know the outcome....

Spawn

mmjax.com webmaster
Established Member
Yeah cant say I am slipping as much as not disengaging, not sure if its the slave or preasure plate, Thanks Don thats the way I am looking right now but if they wont do it I need other options.

thebull

150 or Bust
Established Member
Be careful with the RTX...The steel flywheel makes the set-up very heavy equaling more rotating weight...thus it hit the tires MUCH harder when power shifting causing wheel spin. Chris and I both run the Spec-P Trim and are very happy with the results and feel. IMHO

Tony

Rob_03Mach

Established Member
Be careful with the RTX...The steel flywheel makes the set-up very heavy equaling more rotating weight...thus it hit the tires MUCH harder when power shifting causing wheel spin. Chris and I both run the Spec-P Trim and are very happy with the results and feel. IMHO

Tony

Gee, I don't have that problem ... I'm not making 1000+ rwhp...! :beer: FYI...Lethal sells the RXT kit with OEM weight flywheel as well....For my set-up that's what I chose, we'll see how it works out.

Last edited:

2kmelat

Established Member
im with the bull and chris i have a spec and love it. If u drive it like a grampa i would go stock but if u drive it like u are suppose to go with the spec and be done with it. (I blew threw 2 stock clutches and i have only 3000 mile on mine, and 1000 is with a spec)

Last edited:

GOTSVT?

This Is Absolution
Established Member

Tony

P trim has great pedal feel as well :rockon:

jcthorne

Established Member
Does anyone have any significant street miles on either a Spec or McLeod? I am approaching 30k miles on my OEM 2007 clutch and while it is still perfect in feel and function, I know it will not last forever. I need a replacement that will last in daily street use and have street manners. I had planned to buy the FRPP replacment stock unit but those are no longer available. The 2010 units do not hold up to significantly higher than stock torque. So looks like I will be forced into an aftermarket. Guess I am one of the very few that have no problems with the OEM design. Took a week or two to learn it but since then been just fine. And I do NOT baby the car.

FEARSNO1

KB Shelby, enough said
Established Member
Does anyone have any significant street miles on either a Spec or McLeod? I am approaching 30k miles on my OEM 2007 clutch and while it is still perfect in feel and function, I know it will not last forever. I need a replacement that will last in daily street use and have street manners. I had planned to buy the FRPP replacment stock unit but those are no longer available. The 2010 units do not hold up to significantly higher than stock torque. So looks like I will be forced into an aftermarket. Guess I am one of the very few that have no problems with the OEM design. Took a week or two to learn it but since then been just fine. And I do NOT baby the car.

me and you must be in the same boat, cause i have an 07 and my stock clutch has been great so far with the increased power and torque. but i think i will eventually go with a Mcleod version

Rob_03Mach

Established Member
Just finished putting in McLoed RXT clutch.... The clutch has no chatter, the feel is amazing as it's just like the stock clutch...! :banana: Have a few miles to put on it (break-in) then heading to the track to see how it holds up. Don't think I'll have a problem in that department, due to the same clutch is on Lethal's 2010.....but, we'll see.....:beer:

Spawn

mmjax.com webmaster
Established Member
Well the dealer is installing a new Clutch, Slave and installing new Synchros in the trans under warranty.

Is this what most are getting under the TSB?

gt500vert

Established Member
Whats a "warranty quota"? I've got till July 2011 on my warranty and hoping mine goes out before then.

Spawn

mmjax.com webmaster
Established Member
Dealers who do to much warranty work can get declined more often because of it. Ford thinks they may be doing it just to make money so they refuse the claim.

gt500vert

Established Member
What bunch of BS. Nice way to treat your customers FMoCo. Makes me wish I had not just bought a new MKX for my wife.

chuckstang

Established Member
2010+ clutch kit

wow

Feels just like a civic clutch

Almost like something is wrong its so light

Its all that and a bag of chips

Users who are viewing this thread