Liberty 26 Spline Input Shaft Installation,,,Pix!!

autoxstang

Coyote Lover
Established Member
This tool right here. What is it called? And how do you set it up to know that you have too large of a shim or too small? Obviously you need to know how far the input shaft to supposed to stick out and what your tolerances are.

This put me right at about .0005,,,good enough.
3176.jpg

Last edited:

HawkMech

Wildhorses Rule!!!
Established Member
The tool is called a dial indicator. I use them a lot in aircraft maitenance. To use it, you just set it up in place with the stem against the input shaft, them adjust the dial until you line the needle up on zero. You then move the input shaft in and out of the transmission to see how much play you have it in. It sounds and looks a lot harder to operate then it really is.

TT04Cobra

It's Coming.....
Established Member
Ur a life saver, i'm fixin to do my clutch here in about a week or 2, and this is the only thing that i would of had trouble with but now that completely clears everything up. But i have one question, do u only use 1 shim? I have a shim kit but i was just wondering if u just use one or multiple, I'm pretty new to the tranny thing.

Last edited:

BLOWN_DSG_03

Stainless Cobra/Bolt!!!
Established Member
seriously old thread here, but question on the liberty 26 spline input shaft install ... is it normal or possible for the stock shim to work with the 26 spline to only have like .0007 freeplay?? cause this is what happened with me.. did not even use my shim kit... what if someone had .0000 freeplay.. is that allowed?? thanks in advance for any input

BT

hawaiiancobra

Established Member
BLOWN_DSG_03 said:
seriously old thread here, but question on the liberty 26 spline input shaft install ... is it normal or possible for the stock shim to work with the 26 spline to only have like .0007 freeplay?? cause this is what happened with me.. did not even use my shim kit... what if someone had .0000 freeplay.. is that allowed?? thanks in advance for any input

BT
specs call for 0.000 to 0.002 in. preload. you are not within specs and need to use one of thecorrect shims provided with the input shaft kit.stock shim is not of correct size for the 26 spline

EVIL1

Get Outa My Way!
Established Member
If he has 0.0007 that's within specifications. I've read that many didn't need any shims other that stock,,,but this was not my experience.

Kevin the Clean 1

1 CLEAN 04 SNAKE
Established Member
EVIL1,

Do the new shims come with the new Libery 26-spline input shaft? I'm assuming you have to buy them separate. Also, did you buy yours from Lethal Performance...?

EVIL1

Get Outa My Way!
Established Member
Kevin the Clean 1 said:
EVIL1,

Do the new shims come with the new Libery 26-spline input shaft? I'm assuming you have to buy them separate. Also, did you buy yours from Lethal Performance...?

Yes I got mine from Lethal. The shim kit is separate. Also if I remember correctly they had the input shaft to me in like 2 days,,,very fast shipping.:rockon:

golfprowanabe

Established Member
Time to pick this thread up again because I have a new question. I installed my new Liberty input shaft and had to use a thicker shim. Now I'm getting a slight vibration when under load. It occured to me that I maybe I need to reshim the countershaft as well since I've might have moved the front cover away a bit because of the new shim on the input shaft. I wouldn't think this is neccessary since that shim is just filling up the gap from the input shaft, but I could be wrong. Has anyone else had this kind of problem? Or maybe someone might know what I might have done wrong to cause a slight vibration.

heywaitfourme

Established Member
golfprowanabe said:
Time to pick this thread up again because I have a new question. I installed my new Liberty input shaft and had to use a thicker shim. Now I'm getting a slight vibration when under load. It occured to me that I maybe I need to reshim the countershaft as well since I've might have moved the front cover away a bit because of the new shim on the input shaft. I wouldn't think this is neccessary since that shim is just filling up the gap from the input shaft, but I could be wrong. Has anyone else had this kind of problem? Or maybe someone might know what I might have done wrong to cause a slight vibration.

Are you certain you installed the D/S the exact same way. Maybe try rotating it 180 degrees and putting it back in. When I put the D/S back into my jeep, I wasn't sure which way was up, but I took a guess. Had bad vibrations, took it out, rotated 180 and put it back in. Good as Gold now!! Worth a try, and a lot easier.

In the process of my clutch swap now.....awesome write up!!

MY DREAM

Established Member
Does anyone know what the TQ specs are for the 8 flywheel bolts and the pressure plate to flywheel bolts are? What about the front cover of the tranny? Are thier TQ specs for that? Is thier a gasket to replace, or some silicone? Thanks for the help.

James

Users who are viewing this thread