Lightning and C5

2tonOfun

Established Member
Well, I almost just posted this in the L forum because it isn't a kill or a death story really, but my wife and I are cruising down coast hwy in my Lightning when I notice a red Corvette making it's way through traffic behind me. As we aproached a red light I was hoping he would make it past the car in my left lane to end up at the light beside me but he is stopped behind me at the red.
This is one of the few stretches of PCH where there are no cross streets or pedestrians, OR places for cops to hide, so you can have some fun now and then.
The light turns green and as I pull away he passes the car to my left and starts to do a "fly by". I nail it and keep him side by side untill I get to a car in front of me in my lane and shut down. We only got up to about 60mph.
He then pulls in front of that car and slows way down to wait for me. As we pull along side of him, going about 30mph, he is allready motioning with his hand to go.
So I figure what the heck, It's a Corvette, I'll take advantage of his offer, there's not going to be any honking here and I nail it first. He hits it at about the same moment (It is an auto) and we go up to about 100mph, door to door and I shut down first. I'd have to say it was dead even when I shut down. Even though my wife gets into it, that was as far as I wanted to take it with her in the truck.
Then, she is looking over at me, and laughing she said "if you could see the look on your face". I told her "hey, it's a Corvette, and maybe we didn't beat him but he couldn't beat us either".
The lanes merged into one and when we pulled in behind him he gave us the thumbs up. Then we cruised through the whole speed trap section untill we got to the next light and before we turnned left I said to him "That was fun" and he said "yeah cool".
It was.

KduncSS

Ille qui nos omnes servab
Established Member
Sounds like a good race. An 01+ L doesnt need a pulley really to stay with a stock automatic C5. An intake and some exhaust would probably do it. I was able to hang with some stock auto LS1 Camaros in my Lightning and it had a filter, SCT tuner, and weld in mufflers.

2tonOfun

Established Member
good deal. I'm guessing u are at least pullied to stay with a c5 like that.

Yes, all the usual bolt ons. In fact my numbers are almost exactly the same as yours in your sig. So I guess that should give you a good idea of how you would fare in a simular situation.

Users who are viewing this thread