Lightning/Harley - Brake/Cruise Control Switch!!

wyd_trkr

-
Established Member
Lightning/Harley - Brake/Cruise Control Switch!!

-----------------------------------------------------------------

FYI, guy's I just got back from my Dealership and had my Vin Number put into their computer, to check to see if my 99 Lightning was indeed effected by the Brake/Cruise Control Switch going bad and possibility of it
catching on fire.

At this time, there are 9.7 million 1997-2002 Vehicles
effected by this problem, including F-150, F-250, F-350 , Eurostar and SUV's that have had this problem for the past year, but Ford has not issed a Recall as of yet, to replace these defective switches!

After talking with my Dealership Service Director and the Parts Manager today, we all agreed to replace the Switch anyway, at a cost to me of $20. A little piece of mind is worth something, right guy's!

Anyway, just thought I would relay this information to those who do no know about this ongoing problem and suggest you check your Vin Number of your vehicle with your local Dealership Service Director, to make sure your vehicle is not effected in any way of a having a premature fire start under your hood and burn your vehicle down, like some others have faced in the past year of having a faulty switch shorting out and catching on fire.

Hope this helps, as the New Part Number for this part is 1L1Z-9F924-AA for this kit, which includes a new Switch, Harness Pigtail and Zip Tie.

:beer:

lightninmike

skeered to mod it
Established Member
i know mine falls under the recall
i forget where but there is one of the ford truck sites (maybe nloc) that has a link where you can enter your vin and it will tell you if your truck is affected
but thanks for the update
wonder what they will say when i bring my truck in to get it taken care of once the new motor is in :dw:

SM0KESH0W

Boostaholic
Established Member
I got a notice in the mail saying that my truck is under recall. But that they did not have the proper parts to fix it yet and they would only disable it at this time. And that they would contact me once they got the parts required to fix it.

wyd_trkr

-
Established Member
SM0KESH0W said:
I got a notice in the mail saying that my truck is under recall. But that they did not have the proper parts to fix it yet and they would only disable it at this time. And that they would contact me once they got the parts required to fix it.

SM0KESH0W, if you got a Recall etter from Ford about your vehicle, then by all means just disconnect the Brake/Cruise Pressure Switch on top of your Master Cylinder and drive the vehicle without any Cruise Control feature, until they get the part in for your vehicle. Hope this helps, as disconnecting the electrical connector, will not set an SES light, but it will also disable th Cruise Control feature for now. Assurance here is the best policy.

:thumbsup:

blownsvtlightning

Established Member
lightninmike said:
i know mine falls under the recall
i forget where but there is one of the ford truck sites (maybe nloc) that has a link where you can enter your vin and it will tell you if your truck is affected
but thanks for the update
wonder what they will say when i bring my truck in to get it taken care of once the new motor is in :dw:

nothing they can say.. its a saftey recall and it has to be performed.

SM0KESH0W said:

the parts are now at the dealers... I have been doing several of these recalls the past few weeks...

Last edited:

wyd_trkr

-
Established Member
blownsvtlightning said:
nothing they can say.. its a saftey recall and it has to be performed.

the parts are now at the dealers... I have been doing several of these recalls the past few weeks...

blownsvtlightning, what model years have you been doing the recalls on thus far??

wyd_trkr

-
Established Member
blownsvtlightning said:
the recall is only for Certain 2000 Model Year F-150, Expedition, Navigator, and 2001 F-150 SuperCrew Vehicles. if you do not fall into this catagory, you should be ok

I speak for myself, in saying that this information you have just relayed is going to be helpful to most. However, I was not going to stand the chance in something happening to my Lightning, as 3 other Lightning Owners across the US were not so lucky, in their Lightning's burning to the ground , because of this faulty switch causing an underhood fire and totally destroying their vehicles. Assurance is what I have now, that I replaced my own switch. Maybe others will follow suite with me on replacing a cheap $15 part.

:thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread