Lightning PCV system

toms89

Established Member
Hello everyone. I am new to this forum but thought this would be a great place to find out info about the svt lightning motor mods to be specific.

I actually have a 2000 Ford Expedition that I plan on doing a lightning conversion on. I just ordered a new long block with manley rods, manley forged pistons, and new PI heads with the 8 thread count. I also have the complete lightning upper assembly (new takeoff ) and all the supporting hardware I need for the install. Plus fluidyne heat exchanger, K&N air intake kit and a SCT programmer.

I have tried to address the known "weak links" I am aware of. My first question is concerning the pcv system. I understand that there is an issue with oil pooling in the lower intake. What have others here done to address this or does anyone here actually have problems with this?

I would also like to know what others would suggest as " best bang for the buck" mod to an essentially stock lightning set up and are they any other common issues I should be aware of ?

Last edited:

2001whiteL

Established Member
I would also like to know what others would suggest as " best bang for the buck" mod to an essentially stock lightning set up and are they any other common issues I should be aware of ?

4-6# lower pulley (I love my 6#), new plugs, intake, upgraded MAF, and a good tune. Enjoy :rockon:

Last edited:

Outlaw99

Join us.
Premium Member
why not just buy an SVT Thunder? Shaq had one I believe

00 Thunder Expedition Article

0010_MTRP_01_I_PT-C.gif

toms89

Established Member
"why not just buy an SVT Thunder? Shaq had one I believe"

I wish they were available and with 4wd. Thats why I dont have a lightning....need 4wd and room for the family. I realize it will never handle like a lightning and it has a 1000 pound weight penalty. Just would like to have some of the power. :)

I forgot to mention I have an 8" crank pulley...... which I believe is a 2# pulley?? Once I feel comfortable with the combo @ 2#'s I will likely increase the boost..... but reliability is a priority. Don't want to push too much boost with eaton blower because of the additional heat it would produce as it gets out of its efficiency window.

I think I need to have my sanity checked..... just upgraded today to tfs heads and a stage 1 cam. Trying to begin with a strong foundation for future mods and improve efficiency. Would love to have a whipple...... but that will have to wait till I pay off these mods.

Last edited:

Mr. Mach-ete

Liberals Suck
Established Member
I just had JPC Performance install a 6lb lower, plugs, lowering kit, remove the hi flow cat, and a dyno tune. The truck made 402/515. She had mid length headers with a mac exhaust when I bought her. My next mod is Eaton port and polish with supporting mods. I would love to build the bottom end and put an aggressive cam in it. The 6lb lower really mad a big difference in performance.

Users who are viewing this thread