Lightning vrs AC Cobra

2tonOfun

Established Member
Well, not a kill story and not really a race either but, I was on my way to Home Depot (again) and I see what looks like an AC Cobra up ahead of me and no one else on the road. I pull up to him and turn off my OD as my friend reaches over and turns off my A/C (he's getting the hang of this) so my truck down shifts from turning off the OD and the exhaust gets louder right as we are side by side and the guy just nails it (without down shifting and I have no idea what gear he is in) we are going about 45 and I floor it pretty much right after him but my truck has to kick down and he gets out ahead of me by about a car length. We run them up to about 100 and I am barely pulling on him. We both back out right as I am getting a bumper on him.

We pull up next to each other at the light and I roll down the window and just said "Hey that was cool" and I asked him if it was a real Cobra (I can't seem to tell any more) and he says yes and it has a 427 in it also. I told him it was beautifull (White with Blue stripes) and his wife / GF said "that thing is pretty quick".
I asked him if he wanted to see what they would do from a dig just up to 60 or 70 but he said that there was too many cops around and he was right, we were only a few blocks from the station so we both just rolled away from the light but I couldn't resist throwing the ass of the truck out on the 1st to 2nd shift for him.
At the next intersection we both honked and waved and turned in oposite directions.

No big deal but it was cool to see someone with a car like that willing to romp on the thing.

2tonOfun

Established Member
Well, again I wouldn't call it a real race although he did apear to have his foot stuffed in the thing (I know I did) I don't know if he could have done better by down shifting or not. And that's why I wanted to go from a dig to see what would happen. I fully expected to get my ass handed to me but, who knows?
I'd like to think that he wasn't that confident and that's why he didn't want to go but it's probably more like he was being smart (smarter then me).

My truck just has the usual 6lber supporting mods plus some suspension and other bolt ons. 400 / 500 ish.

jeffs

Established Member
I seen one on this site get "slaughtered by a srt8 jeep, it didn't seem to run like it should though. Remember, those old cars have carbs and distributors to keep in check while our newer stuff is always running its best via computer.

JSZ03

Local Mustang Legend
Established Member
Good run...I seriously doubt it was a "real" AC Cobra w/ a 427...most of them are in museums or in heated storage with 2 million dollar price tags...lol

Silver2003Cobra

US Navy (retired)
Established Member
why the A/C turn off.. at WTO, all Fords AFAIK kill the A/C compressor anyhow.. (go WOT with the A/C on full and you'll feel it get warm as the compressor kicks off)

anyhow, great race and sounds like you had fun..

CharlieCobra03

Established Member
The replicas, depending on what mfg it was, are the same if not a bit better than the original. The FE 427 is still available as a kit motor but a lot of folks don't pony up the bucks for it and detune them if they do. Gorgeous cars though, almost bought an original AC 427 race Cobra back in '83 for 45K but I couldn't fit.

ElGato

There is no cure
Established Member
The replicas, depending on what mfg it was, are the same if not a bit better than the original. The FE 427 is still available as a kit motor but a lot of folks don't pony up the bucks for it and detune them if they do. Gorgeous cars though, almost bought an original AC 427 race Cobra back in '83 for 45K but I couldn't fit.

And what most people forget is that the FE family of motors is a true big block, meaning HEAVY. Most "real" 427s on the road are 351W strokers, which are much lighter.

Imagine having an original '66 427 side oiler. Now imagine wrecking it showing off by racing. It's like burning a million dollars.

JSZ03

Local Mustang Legend
Established Member
I always thought the 289 Cobras w/ Webers ran just as hard or harder than the 427 cars did...a lot less weight on the front end and killer on a road course. Granted, there is no replacement for displacement (except with Terminators ;), but a built 289 Cobra with 4x2 weber downdrafts is absolutely tits

Last edited:

ElGato

There is no cure
Established Member
I always thought the 289 Cobras w/ Webers ran just as hard or harder than the 427 cars did...a lot less weight on the front end and killer on a road course.

Bingo!:beer:

(and if you're looking for a collectible car, once the 427s came out, the 289 production #s dropped, so they're more rare)

2tonOfun

Established Member
Yeah, I don't know guys. I'm just going by what the guy told me. Those kit cars are pretty awsome too. I think if I had one I'd drop in a 302/5.0 FI with a Vortech and have all kinds of fun.

And turning off the A/C? I've always done it, so my passenger has been along on enough runs to Home Depot to get the routine down. That was part of what was funny, he's not a car guy really but when I pulled up next to the Cobra and turned off the OD, he just reaches over and turns off the A/C, like "I see where this is headed".

ford_racer

King of SVTP
Established Member
Another vote for replica. Not to take anything away from you though OP, even the replicas with stock Foxbody 5.0s run well.

There's a real one in my town. I saws it. :D

2tonOfun

Established Member
We'll never know if it was a real AC Cobra unless I see him again and get to talk longer but in my neighborhood it would not be uncommon.
We have a little car show at the local Starbucks on the last Saturday of each month and it is totally common to see Lambo's, Ferrari's, Ford GT's (including an original one) Austin Martins, Porche super cars, Pantera's, etc etc. Oh, and one black Lightning;-)

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
shelby started building replicas which will get your name onto their owners list. because of their name on this list many feel they are driving a real shelby cobra!

i believe shelby has signed an agreement with superperformance. meaning that the shelby is now building brand new superperformance cars and calling them the real deal! can anyone confirm this?

Tampa03cobra

Frivolous Lawsuiter
Established Member
I helped put one together with a 460 big block from factory five, doing another kit right now using a complete 2004 Cobra setup, complete from the TB and blower down to the oilpan, clutch flywheel and t-56.

The buyer bought 3 setups from a ford distro basically a complete terminator running gear minus rearend and driveshaft. Comes with ECU and everything lol. Can't wait to see the kit done, doing measurements to see if it will be possible to fit a 2.2 KB underneath. Will have to get back up to jacksonville to check out the progress.

The one with the 460 has been done for a while, and I have to say, that thing hauls some serious ass, but traction is tough with that much torque and having pretty bad front to rear weight distro

Users who are viewing this thread