Lightweight Rotor's from Stiegemeier!

cobracide

Established Member
I'm a safety engineer so let me break down what could happen.

First: the foam will melt because of the extremely high heat of the blower.

Second: foam will start coming out of the ends which could cause the rotors to seize.

Third: once the foam melts it will cause the balance of the rotors to be thrown off.

Forth: rotors touch case and other rotors because of imbalance, imbalance causes extreme vibration causing bearings to fail. The failing of bearings causes the rotors to bounce around the blower causing catastrophic failure.

Catastrophic failure includes not only destroying the blower and inter cooler but possibly the motor itself lets face if these rotors are spinning in up wards of 15K RPM.

Excellent analysis.

ponyboyisaac

Now Kaioken...times 10!!
Established Member
Sorry to say but there is a lot of douche baggery in this thread....to many "experts" and "professionals" in here. People need to stfu and just wait for this product to come out, then do all the assessing you want!

dynobobstieg

We will let you know as soon as we get the testing and final product ready.

Thanks and watch for our newest product coming Friday of this week.

Thanks!!!Stiegemeier:burnout:

JMD0346

Established Member
WHAT?? Do you really think a smaller pulley will be better? Even if the rotors do work...:kaboom: the toque put on that pulley will make it slip no matter what the resistance the pulley would be too small.

Foam that is going to heat up melt and cause the rotors to seize... These blowers create a immense amount of heat although the foam is heat resistant doesn't mean it wont melt.

Dont you think Eaton might have thought about this when they were designing the blower?? Or there might be a reason Whipple, KB, ect... dont have giant wholes drilled in there rotors? Not a bad idea in theory but i doubt it feasible or worth the milling involved.

IMO it wouldnt melt. Yeah you would have to have the right foam but Im sure they make something that would work. I dont think it would sling out either. I bet stiege looks at this to see if it will work. Its a very simple and cheap idea.

As for your last comment. If it were true Stiegemeier wouldnt have a job. Finding ways to improve upon a stock Eaton is how he feeds his family. Just because mods werent done at the factory doesnt mean they arent viable.

Im not saying in the end it wont turn out to be a useless mod but its worth the test imo. Dont know if you dont try. You are right. It is alot of work though. Guess we'll see. One of these days. LOL

Zacharyx

Established Member
damn 6 pages of reading and no numbers?? props for trying to push the eaton farther but I have to agree maybe waiting for a little more info before putting it out for the masses to pick apart

New Edge

Screaming 2.2!
Established Member
damn 6 pages of reading and no numbers?? props for trying to push the eaton farther but I have to agree maybe waiting for a little more info before putting it out for the masses to pick apart

You must not have read many of the stegemeier threads its a common trend.

rezcobra

Established Member
Venting one of the freeze plugs with a small vent hole is exactly what I was thinking after reading Jason's last reply. Since only one end needs to be completely sealed to eliminate pressure bleed through the bore. (quote fr 4sdvenom)

I doubt you need a weep hole on the rotors. Its not like they will reach extreme temperatures. We are talking about the inlet side of the engine, not the exhaust. And in reality its not spinning that fast either even if it were to reach 18,000 rpm's. People work all day with grinders that are spinning 30,000 rpm's and the wheels are made of weaker material than aluminum. Unless you abuse it! LOL .

I think the biggest upside to this is you might not gain any horsepower by just a simple switch to the lighter rotors, but you will gain usable horsepower that had been wasted thru the parasitic loss of the heavier pieces. For instance, assume (theoretically) the stock Eaton is spun to 16,000 rpm's at lets say 10 lbs boost. And say that it takes 50 hp to spin it that fast with the given amount of boost. Now take away 50% (the amount of reduced weight posted by Steg) of the weight of the rotating mass. So the Eaton could stand to gain 25 usable hp even tho there was there was no hp gain overall. But I'm sure only the Steg people are getting an idea of just how much of the wasted hp is being retrieved.

Another thing to think about is where the mass has been removed. Look at the pictures and its all on the outer side of the rotors. Thereby even though there is only 50% removed, the Eaton could benefit more than that. And the fact that there is less metal on the rotors it has less heat saturation and quicker cooling. My .02 cents.

If the price is right I'm all for it!!

Last edited:

rezcobra

Established Member
i wasnt calling you out or anything, more or less just posting some info for everyone.

id like to see the eaton able to support over 600 but i have just about every possible mod you can throw at the car power wise and it hardly cracked 500. if the lightweight rotors are merely going to gain 10 to 20 horsepower i cant see it being worth it, just use a smaller pulley and spin it faster.

instead of modifying the rotors would it be at all possible to make a set of twin screw type rotors to fit into the eatons case? this would significantly increase efficiency and lower temps, but is it possible? or cost effective? how bout modifying a set from a whipple or KB or TVS?

I was thinking the same thing about putting a set of TVS rotors into the M112. Since the TVS rotors are made by Eaton when I was at SEMA show this year I spoke with the people at the Eaton booth. They had rotors on display that were similar in size for all the blowers in the past and the new TVS's. Except for the M112. Anyway they said even the M112 had a similar size rotors but they wouldn't benefit as much due to the fact that the TVS was much more efficient. Thus requiring a bigger inlet into the blower casing itself and a bigger outlet. So by the time you modified the M112 casing you might have severally thin spots etc. Thus weakening the casing. So better off just buying a TVS or twin screw.

65fastback2+2

Established Member
I was thinking the same thing about putting a set of TVS rotors into the M112. Since the TVS rotors are made by Eaton when I was at SEMA show this year I spoke with the people at the Eaton booth. They had rotors on display that were similar in size for all the blowers in the past and the new TVS's. Except for the M112. Anyway they said even the M112 had a similar size rotors but they wouldn't benefit as much due to the fact that the TVS was much more efficient. Thus requiring a bigger inlet into the blower casing itself and a bigger outlet. So by the time you modified the M112 casing you might have severally thin spots etc. Thus weakening the casing. So better off just buying a TVS or twin screw.

buttt....for us lightning guys, we dont have the option of just buying a TVS. I know I sure would love to put tvs rotors into my lightning eaton case

Users who are viewing this thread