Livernois MyCalibrator Tuner/Tune Review - 2016 Edge Sport 2.7 EcoBoost

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
upload_2018-1-26_18-40-51.png

After reading Travis' thread about the 2019 Edge ST and the Livernois' thread about their tune upgrade for the 2.7 EcoBoost, I decided to pull the trigger on their MyCalibrator Tuner. The tuner shipped out the day after I ordered it, and 5 days later it arrived by FedEx.

Livernois MyCalibrator Tuner Review

Contents and Documentation
The Livernois package contained the tuner, a USB cable for connecting the tune to my computer, a cable to connect the tuner to the vehicle's OBD-II port, and detailed instructions. The instructions were easy to understand and clear.

Tuner Setup
The day after I provided Livernois with the requested vehicle info for the tunes (87 octane, 89 octane, 91 octane, 93 octane and a copy of the factory tune), I received an email with a link to download the tunes file. Downloading the file and installing it to the tuner device from my computer was very straight forward. It took about 20 minutes in total. With the tunes installed on the tuner device, it was now time to install the 93 octane tune on my Edge Sport. I chose the 93 octane for the most power/torque gains and because I've always used 93 octane in my Edge. Just a personal preference.

Tune Installation
The tune installation instructions were very easy; basically connect the tuner device to the OBD-II port and follow the instructions on the tuner display screen to choose the 93 octane tune from the 5 available. Took 10 minutes at most.

First Impressions and Tune Review
I'll preface this review by saying that my Ford Edge 2.7 EB performance was very adequate. Especially using the Sport mode. More power, of course, is always better. ;) The transmission shifts, however, were not crisp and often very sloppy (felt like it was slipping). I never took it to the dealer because they'd likely say it was normal, so I lived with it. In Sport mode, occasionally the transmission would stay in a lower gear on a downgrade and the engine revs would be abnormally high and would not move to a higher gear no matter what I did (except switching from Sport mode to normal Drive mode).

I also want to say that I do not have dyno numbers for my Edge Sport before the tune install, and I have no intention to get post-install dyno numbers. I don't race my Edge so I just don't have any need for the numbers. By seat of the pants dyno is sufficient. LOL. I simply wanted better performance around town and on the freeway.

Driving through my neighborhood with the new tune, the engine revs were low so except for better throttle response, I only really noticed that the shifts were more crisp, but not harsh. Exiting from my neighborhood onto an empty main road, I decided to stay in Drive (not Sport), and at 20mph or so I nailed it. Whoa! Yeah, definitely a big power increase here! When I reached 50mph I let off on the throttle continued driving normally. Even on city streets, I was impressed with the power and torque increases. And I loved the improved shifting; very crisp, with upshifts and downshifts occurring when expected. No slipping. No sloppiness. Noticeably better than the shift with the factory tune.

Today I took the Edge out again and drove to the freeway in Sport mode. Egads! Throttle response in Sport mode was very impressive, and I didn't think that would be possible since I was very pleased with Sport mode throttle response with the factory tune. Better is, well, better! I entered the freeway in regular Drive mode and at about 50mph went full throttle. It pulled very strong right up to 90 where I let up. It felt like the engine wanted to pull forever. Regular freeway driving was non-eventful since I was only cruising. Lane change throttle response was improved; very noticeable. Auto downshifts were crisp and quick. No lag. No sloppiness. Thank you, Livernois.

So what about going back to the dealership for service? Will they know I've added a custom tune. Not likely, unless they're investigating something. Livernois includes a copy of the factory tune in the tunes file, so it is now loaded on my tuner device. The day I have to go to the dealership, I simply hook up the device to the OBD-II port and select the Factory tune on the device. After the service is complete and I leave the dealership, I'm free to re-connect the device and select the 93 octane tune again. Takes no more than 10 minutes total. Simple! You definitely CAN have your cake and eat it, too. ;) I do understand now that the dealership can find evidence of a re-flashed PCM but they've have to have the intent to investigate, like if I had an engine issue and they suspected an engine mod of some type being a contributing factor. I don't race my Edge Sport and haven't added any other mods, so I'm feeling okay about the minimal risk.

That's it for now. I'll update this thread with any important notations or new comments. I do have to ask Livernois a question about the 93 octane tune power and torque gains. Their website states two sets of power and torque increases. I'll post whichever set of numbers they say are correct for my 93 octane tune when I hear back from them.

Last edited:

Screw-Rice

I like BBC
Established Member
So what about going back to the dealership for service? Will they know I've added a custom tune. Nope! Livernois includes a copy of the factory tune in the tunes file, so it is now loaded on my tuner device. The day I have to go to the dealership, I simply hook up the device to the OBD-II port and select the Factory tune on the device. The dealer doesn't know I had a custom tune installed. After the service is complete and I leave the dealership, I'm free to re-connect the device and select the 93 octane tune again. Takes no more than 10 minutes total. Simple! You definitely CAN have your cake and eat it, too. ;)

Are you positive Bob? Most ECU's now record when it has been flashed. Yes it will be the stock flash, but I am pretty sure even on the Edge it will show that it has been flashed.

nxhappy

Established Member
Are you positive Bob? Most ECU's now record when it has been flashed. Yes it will be the stock flash, but I am pretty sure even on the Edge it will show that it has been flashed.
most places won't know it's returned to stock unless specially looking. They would know from the higher boost computer log.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I'm not personally positive. Only going by the info I got from Livernois. Maybe I wasn't specific enough with my question. I just sent them a PM and will wait to hear back. If it's what @nxhappy believes, I'll be fine with that. I only go to the dealership for oil changes and routine service.

Screw-Rice

I like BBC
Established Member
most places won't know it's returned to stock unless specially looking. They would know from the higher boost computer log.

I'm not personally positive. Only going by the info I got from Livernois. Maybe I wasn't specific enough with my question. I just sent them a PM and will wait to hear back. If it's what @nxhappy believes, I'll be fine with that. I only go to the dealership for oil changes and routine service.

I might be wrong, but I thought they can look and it will show how many times the ecu has been flashed. It was a big thing that came up with the 5.0 stangs and thought it was all them the last few years. Don't need to look at specific parameters ( like boost) it will show 2 ecu writings but nothing in Oasis about them, will draw the conclusion that it's been tuned.

This is all from memory, I just don't want Bob thinking he is golden, and get bad news when he goes in for a repair.

nxhappy

Established Member
I might be wrong, but I thought they can look and it will show how many times the ecu has been flashed. It was a big thing that came up with the 5.0 stangs and thought it was all them the last few years. Don't need to look at specific parameters ( like boost) it will show 2 ecu writings but nothing in Oasis about them, will draw the conclusion that it's been tuned.

This is all from memory, I just don't want Bob thinking he is golden, and get bad news when he goes in for a repair.
I don't think they would look at that, unless they were doing an engine rebuild or something. I know on the 3.5 EBs guys just return to stock before service, without any issue. But, there is always that "gamble". Nonetheless I wouldn't worry about it.

V6&V8SHO

Established Member
Unless something changed you actually have to request livernois to queue up your factory tune to the server for you then update tuner to then tune car back to factory stock.

Screw-Rice

I like BBC
Established Member
I don't think they would look at that, unless they were doing an engine rebuild or something. I know on the 3.5 EBs guys just return to stock before service, without any issue. But, there is always that "gamble". Nonetheless I wouldn't worry about it.
I'll dig around to see if I'm remembering right, I just remember it being easy to tell. Believe it's the same thing with tuning my 6.7. Now you got me thinking I'm bass ackword, lol.

bigmoose

Established Member
I run their tune on my '13 Explorer Sport with the 3.5EB. Noticed big difference as well especially with the transmission shifts being much quicker.

I've had their 93 performance tune for 75k miles now without any issues.

black92

Hot rod Lincoln
Established Member
Unless something changed you actually have to request livernois to queue up your factory tune to the server for you then update tuner to then tune car back to factory stock.

The factory tune is stored on the MyCal device and Bob can return it to stock at any point. I've taken my MKS in several times for routine work as well as warranty work. Reflash back to stock each time I take it in and no issues yet. If they happen to catch something and ask, I'll be upfront and honest.

Bob - You went straight to the hauling ass tune! LOL!!! Glad to hear you're loving it and your experience pretty much mirrors mine when I first tuned my MKS with Livernois. You did right and I know you'll be a happy camper for a long time.

offroadkarter

Professional S***poster
Established Member
A friend of mine had a Livernois tune on his edge sport and was always very happy with it. He just returned it (lease) and is having Livernois send him a tune for his new escape 2.0 ecoboost.

My only complaint would be that ancient looking proprietary handheld tuner they use. I wish they'd still give out tunes on Xcal devices (or maybe move onto the ngauge) but I know this makes more money for them.

IIRC it's not like the tech is going to have a message pop up saying "WARNING, THIS CAR HAS HAD A TUNE!" They can look at how many "key cycles" the PCM is showing, a very low key cycle count on a say 2-3 year old car would indicate the PCM has been reflashed.

Also, it's one thing when dealers are looking for excuses to void a warranty on someone bringing in a 5.0 that exploded, but I don't think they're going to be looking as hard at edge's or MKS' for tunes.

It also comes down to how big of a dick your dealer is, my dealer will actually install aftermarket parts for customers, they did a T-56 magnum XL swap on a customers roush S197.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Thanks Brad.

Thanks for all of your comments about the flashed PCM addressing whether or not the dealer might easily know that I installed a custom tune. I'm really not concerned based on the obvious that (A) the vehicle isn't a performance vehicle that is more commonly tuned, (B) I don't have any other mods so the the vehicle looks 100% factory stock, and (C) I'm old enough to get ignored. I also don't expect my dealership to take the extra time to snoop around to see if I committed a dirty deed with the engine. LOL. Your comments definitely helped me see the "real world" on this as well as ease any earlier concerns.

I'll be running out to the bank in an hour to enjoy the new power. Funny, my wife was in the Edge right after I installed the tune (but she didn't know what I did). I nailed it leaving the restaurant we were at and it pushed us both straight back in our seats. Much harder than before the tune, of course. But she didn't give any indication she felt the new power/torque. LOL. Funny how wives pick up on some things and not others. ;)

Screw-Rice

I like BBC
Established Member
IIRC it's not like the tech is going to have a message pop up saying "WARNING, THIS CAR HAS HAD A TUNE!" They can look at how many "key cycles" the PCM is showing, a very low key cycle count on a say 2-3 year old car would indicate the PCM has been reflashed.

Also, it's one thing when dealers are looking for excuses to void a warranty on someone bringing in a 5.0 that exploded, but I don't think they're going to be looking as hard at edge's or MKS' for tunes.

It also comes down to how big of a dick your dealer is, my dealer will actually install aftermarket parts for customers, they did a T-56 magnum XL swap on a customers roush S197.
Never said a big message or anything will pop up, but it was the key cycles I was thinking of.

I don't think it will be a big issue, I'm just clarifying because Bob is under the impression there is no way for the dealer to tell it's been tuned. Rather he be aware than have some weird hiccup, dealer see it was tuned, and he be SOL is all.

SolarYellow

Sensei
Established Member
Premium Member
Form a relationship with your service manager and find out how he reacts to modifications. You might be pleasantly surprised (like I was) to find out you have nothing to worry about.

limepro

Established Member
I went with Unleased tuning on my SHO, I prefer the SCT livewire and everything I can monitor with it. As for them having 2 different hp/tq figures, it you didn't go with a 3 bar map sensor too then you have the lower of the 2 as you can't run as much boost.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Never said a big message or anything will pop up, but it was the key cycles I was thinking of.

I don't think it will be a big issue, I'm just clarifying because Bob is under the impression there is no way for the dealer to tell it's been tuned. Rather he be aware than have some weird hiccup, dealer see it was tuned, and he be SOL is all.
Thanks to those who responded in this thread, I'm no longer under the impression that there is no way for the dealer to tell it's been tuned. I really was under that impression earlier. This was my first flashed tune. My only prior tune was on my '03 Cobra which was a chip.

You'll be fine, no worries.
Yeah, Nick, I know I'll be fine. And no worries!

Users who are viewing this thread