Local IRS swap with an 01. Should I do it??

SpittingCobra

Established Member
So a guy local to me posted that he wanted to swap his '01 Cobra IRS for a SRA. His is bone stock. Mine has FRPP aluminum DS, FRPP 4:10's, master install kit (every bearing in rearend is new), lowering springs.

So what do you think? Is it a good deal? I want to eventually put the FTBR kit in but I hear the axles are crap pre-'03..

Should I ask him for mine +cash? Bummed to lose my aluminum DS on the deal as well as my gear ratio + peace of mind on the rebuild I had done.. I'm afraid I'd break this thing in no time with my power.. The car will not see the drag strip though as I'm wanting to turn it into a corner carver. Thanks for reading.:??:

Thoughts?!?!

Last edited:

TBCobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Beer Money Bros.
01 irs is better than 99 but still not as good as 03/04. IRS generally go for more than SRA because of what they are. How many miles on the irs and your sra? You will not break a halfshaft if you arent planning on dumping the clutch. I did 4k launches with my irs and it held up fine.

Mystic-SVT

snuggle fest, mmmmm!
Established Member
Ask cash plus your rear end. '01 IRS isn't worth as much as people think, especially compared to your rear end.

BTW, you can keep your driveshaft.

SpittingCobra

Established Member
01 irs is better than 99 but still not as good as 03/04. IRS generally go for more than SRA because of what they are. How many miles on the irs and your sra? You will not break a halfshaft if you arent planning on dumping the clutch. I did 4k launches with my irs and it held up fine.

Thanks for the reply. Mine has roughly 90k mi. The ring and pinion and all the bearings have only 15k mi. But obviously the axles and the locker have more miles.. hmm.

I'm waiting for his response on the miles on his.

So you're saying that it wouldn't be totally necessary to upgrade the axles immediately? Basically I would swap straight across and I'd have to upgrade down the road. Been waiting on an '03/04 swap to pop up but they just aren't around here. This is my first opportunity..

Makes me nervous thinking about it but I really wanna turn this into a trackday/autocross/canyon carver and I like the idea of the IRS with the FTBR kit over the watts link/panhard bar/torque arm and the packaging issues it creates. Plus the looks of the IRS tailpipes.. :dancenana:

SpittingCobra

Established Member
Ask cash plus your rear end. '01 IRS isn't worth as much as people think, especially compared to your rear end.

BTW, you can keep your driveshaft.

Awesome so what do you think I should ask? So I can run my DS with the IRS??! I have my stock steel one I was thinking I'd just give him that, but I was thinking I'd need a different length??

I read through the sticky on IRS in the other section. From memory the '01 has weaker shafts and needs a brace added on like the '03's had stock. Am I missing anything??

What year IRS are you running?

TBCobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Beer Money Bros.
If you arent planning on going to the drag strip what are you worried about? A stock 01 irs will be fine for corner carving. It wouldnt hurt to upgrade them but not necessary if you're not planning on drag racing.

SpittingCobra

Established Member
If you arent planning on going to the drag strip what are you worried about? A stock 01 irs will be fine for corner carving. It wouldnt hurt to upgrade them but not necessary if you're not planning on drag racing.

I'm worried since my car puts down over 500hp to the tires right now and the blower is at the lowest setting.. So just hard shifts that might cause wheel hopping.. :??:

TBCobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Beer Money Bros.
I mean if you get a good set of tires and the bushings on the irs are in good condition then you should be fine. Anything can happen though, all its takes is one series of bad hops and they can snap. If you have the money by all means put the bushing kit in it but if not I think you will be fine corner carving.

redrocket16

Established Member
It would be a change going from 4.10's to the 3.27's I believe, I would keep your aluminum driveshaft and make the trade if you are interested in corner carving. To give you an idea I found my 03 IRS for 700 shipped and it was the best I found, nothing local at the time under 1k but i was not seeking a trade. Keep in mind ftbr bushings are 700 not installed as well. Check the cover to make sure his isn't leaking though before going through with the swap. Is your car your dd or weekend car?

SpittingCobra

Established Member
It would be a change going from 4.10's to the 3.27's I believe, I would keep your aluminum driveshaft and make the trade if you are interested in corner carving. To give you an idea I found my 03 IRS for 700 shipped and it was the best I found, nothing local at the time under 1k but i was not seeking a trade. Keep in mind ftbr bushings are 700 not installed as well. Check the cover to make sure his isn't leaking though before going through with the swap. Is your car your dd or weekend car?

I still have my 3:73's that came in my car, I'm guessing they'll work in the IRS diff? This car has been under the knife since 2010 so it has become fully a hotrod project and hasn't been on DD duty since way back then.. I would love for her to go back to semi DD duty during the summer though, but I will always keep a second vehicle as I race motocross and need 4wd for work etc.

SpittingCobra

Established Member
Well I'm pretty set on doing it. Wonder how much I should ask for on top of the swap? Some money toward that bushing kit sure would be nice..

SpittingCobra

Established Member
Found out the car was rear ended at some point. Damage was repaired by body shop and covered by insurance.

Think I should be concerned about an IRS from a functioning car that was rear ended at some point??

What should I look for??

redrocket16

Established Member
Found out the car was rear ended at some point. Damage was repaired by body shop and covered by insurance.

Think I should be concerned about an IRS from a functioning car that was rear ended at some point??

What should I look for??

Thank him for being an honest guy and walk away IMO. No telling what was twisted under the car and if it was done properly.

po-po 5.0

Established Member
The '01 IRS is missing 1 brace that the 03+ has. It's the forward torque brace. You can pick one up from FTBR (a stock one) for, like, $70, or I think Kenny Brown and MM each make their own aftermarket one. With this brace installed, the '01 IRS is 90% as tough as the '03. Unless you're making big twin-screw torque, it'll live fine.

Slow95Cobra

Certified in SVT by Ford
Established Member
If it was hit on the side, I wouldn't do it. But if it was a square hit in the rear, it'd be some major damage to damage the IRS. but I'm pretty sure the 01 up had 31 spline stuff. Only 99 had 28 spline. If the bent the actual frame of the IRS you would see the rear "frame" horns bend/bowed up. If there is just control arm damage, replace them before you put it in, along with a gear etc. freshen it up :)

blacksheep-1

Established Member
Having done this a multitude of times, I would say that this is definitely the way to do it, park both cars side by side and do the swap, the driveshaft and the rear IRS mounts are different (than the quad shock brackets) so make sure you swap them.
The preferred year IRS is 03-04 because of the bigger axles, 32 splines and pinion flange. That being said, I've never broke a 28 spline. The key is to keep them from wheel hopping if you can prevent that you'll be fine in most cases. How bad was the car rear ended? if it didn't bend the cradle, you'll be fine, a measuring tape will tell you that since they use the same bolt holes as the stick axle. The 3.27 gear will get old, I'd go with a 3.55 at the very least (03-04 cobras have these) but if your going to do a gear change then step up and put in what you want. You'll love the handling of the IRS.
Here's the tech article I wrote up several years ago:
new edge rearend swap IRS/ stick axle

SpittingCobra

Established Member
This is how the car was hit. Happened at a traffic light looks like. Looks to be straight on from the back. Just saw these pics on his build thread it's not as though he was trying to hide the fact that it was hit. I believe he's a member here as well but not sure.

IMG_0007.jpg

IMG_0003.jpg

SpittingCobra

Established Member
Crease in the floorpan kind of concerns me. I would think that if the IRS was damaged it would have been repaired as the seller is a technician. Hmm

IMG_0246.jpg

brucesvt

Established Member
The '01 IRS is missing 1 brace that the 03+ has. It's the forward torque brace. You can pick one up from FTBR (a stock one) for, like, $70, or I think Kenny Brown and MM each make their own aftermarket one. With this brace installed, the '01 IRS is 90% as tough as the '03. Unless you're making big twin-screw torque, it'll live fine.

i have a 99 irs and in the process of adding some bushings and support to it.
would this help?
http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/suspension-brakes-258/910658-stock-front-differential-torque-brace-irs.html

sorry for the thread hi jack

Users who are viewing this thread