Long Tubes install

64comet

Established Member
Anyone have a good write up or link to good instructions for doing this install. Done a search, but haven't really found what I am looking for. Hopefully installing mine here in a couple weeks. Also anyone have any experience with hooking up the EGR tube on BBK longtubes. Any issues. Thinking about just deleting it, but haven't decided yet.

04torchred

Established Member
Deleting is the easiest way. However it isn't all that bad to do it up just keep the top slightly loose and get the bottom started. Then tighten both together.

To drop the K-member there are 8 bolts. 4 at the front and 4 at the rear of the k-member. You need to disconnect the powersteering lines and also unhook the steering shaft. Unbolt the motor mounts and the k will come out.

Make sure you support the engine with a bottle jack up at the front of the motor. Right behind the balancer is the oil pan/block rail, use a piece of wood or block of metal up again the block/pan rail and put the bottle jack under it. You can buy a support to hold the engine from the top, but if you got a bottle jack don't worry.

You need to pull out he dipstick tube with the bbk headers. Remove the driver side engine mount for access, it will make it easier to pull the dipstick out.

Hope that helps,

Schyler

That is about it.

64comet

Established Member
Installed them Tuesday and finished them Wednesday. Had some hardware issues and somehow managed to throw a damn wrench through the starter hole and into the transmission bellhousing which cost me a little time fishing out. So due to those and the damn egr tube being a bitch ran out of time at the hobby shop so had to finish up wednesday. Drivers side is easy other than the egr tube. Passengers side is a bitch, but all back together with no leaks. Sounds mean and can tell the difference in performance. Should easily get me the 6hp I need to break 600. Glad I did it at the hobby shop though because without the lift would be even a bigger bitch.

Users who are viewing this thread