Looking at picking up a SVTF

VenemousShadow

Go Cats!
Established Member
Hey all, I'm looking at picking up an SVTF for a daily driver, I have seen a few 02 and 03s for sale and I am wondering if this might be a good daily driver? Most have between 50-80K miles and are around 7K. Are they reliable? Are they fun? Good in snow? I'd greatly appreciate your help guys/gals

97CasperCobra

Track is Crack
I'm just over 116K miles on mine, bought it back in 2005 with 32K miles. They are LOTS of fun and great daily drivers. They have their issues just like any car, i think the worst I've had with mine had been the compressor went out about 2 years ago but I knew a guy who worked at Ford to give me the parts at cost. I just did my timing belt back in Nov which wasn't too bad.....just a lot of time.

I've had no experience driving on snow.....Houston gets snow as often as the Astros go to the world series....lol.

Stevarino8

Established Member
The SVTF is a fun car and stylish to boot. Look out for the master cylinder they tend to go as a result of a design flaw. Use the 91 octane (or better) it will respond better than to do otherwise. The car is fairly hard to find and many are used as daily drivers. Due to the Ford consolidation world wide we may see the Focus RS in the States in a matter of a few years.

SVT_Trout

Established Member
Get one. I DD my 04 and have had next to no problems at all. I am just shy of 100k miles too. That car is bulletproof. I need to get some pics of it up on here.

CT SVT

Established Member
2004 is the best one. Ford fix all the problems with it. but all years are fine. great car. they love boost too.

4rd Toys

Polishing my SVTs....
Established Member
I have been avoiding winter use at all possible in previous years but this past winter I had to use the SVTF for the first time:
Using General's Altimax Snow/Ice tires 205/50 R17's and a 50-lb sandbag placed in the rear passenger's side cargo area, the car handled great!

Going on 5 years & so far no issues but I'm barely over 30k+ miles....
In stock form though, its not as quick as a Lightning or Terminator, sometimes disappointing on hot/humid days..... plus while in 6th gear cruising @ 70 or 80 mph the revs are a bit on the high side.
But IMO [& not knowing the options on the ones you're looking @], the euro-tuned suspension, Subwoofer/Audiophile sound, HIDs, and Recaro's more than make up for it.
Good luck....

2k3gt

Established Member
...and a 50-lb sandbag placed in the rear passenger's side cargo area, the car handled great!

Why would you need to put a 50-lb sandbag over the rear tires of a front wheel drive car?

4rd Toys

Polishing my SVTs....
Established Member
Why would you need to put a 50-lb sandbag over the rear tires of a front wheel drive car?

Yes it's FWD but I wanted to attempt to balance out the front weight [me] and felt this would also help keep the rear planted to prevent spin-outs on icy or snowy road conditions. CHEAP INSURANCE: Its a compact car but I look @ it like a truck- ALL the weight up front & nothing in the rear which is recipe for spin-outs especially on twisty roads or hairpin exits/on-ramps.
It seem to work for me this past winter.

jasonpalamar

Established Member
Car drives great in all weather. Is very reliable, Just the few things that break are expensive. Fun, peppy, and comfortable DD. Stick with an 04 though, they worked out a few of the kinks.

Sapperstang

Established Member
?
mines great had it for 2+ years 80k miles no problems

Mine has never left me stranded I will give it that. However I hate this car. It is slow as hell and just to get going you have to rev the crap out of it. Tranny sounds like bb's in a tin can, I am on my 3rd check engine light. Car starts idling rough sometimes when stopped and the battery light comes on. You would think it would brake well but it doesn't and the wet braking is scary sometimes. Attracts ricers like mad and nearly every car out there can blow the doors off. Handles just ok. Removable security thing for the radio broke. Had the thermostat housing leak awhile back. I could go on. At least I got it for dirt cheap. Our ZX3 has been very reliable since new which is why when I found I could get this car dirt cheap I went for it as a DD.

Last edited:

FORDSVTPARTS

Authorized Vendor
Mine has never left me stranded I will give it that. However I hate this car. It is slow as hell and just to get going you have to rev the crap out of it. Tranny sounds like bb's in a tin can, I am on my 3rd check engine light. Car starts idling rough sometimes when stopped and the battery light comes on. You would think it would brake well but it doesn't and the wet braking is scary sometimes. Attracts ricers like mad and nearly every car out there can blow the doors off. Handles just ok. Removable security thing for the radio broke. Had the thermostat housing leak awhile back. I could go on. At least I got it for dirt cheap. Our ZX3 has been very reliable since new which is why when I found I could get this car dirt cheap I went for it as a DD.

Sounds like you've just had some bad luck with yours.

It also sounds like your IMRC/dual stage intake may not be working right because you shouldn't have to rev it like crazy to get going.

Also if you think the handling is just "OK" then either something else is wrong or you're not using it right.

The SVTF is one of the best handling cars in it's class even on stock suspension, it won several car of the year awards against much more expensive cars.

One other thing is that the SVTF responds very well to boost and the stock internals are good for a solid 300whp with a good tune and I've seen them go as high as 370whp fairly reliably with a stone stock engine and a good turbo setup.

I drive mine year round in Minnesota and have for the last four years, it's never failed me. It runs great.

It's certainly not a rocket in a straight line but it's a riot on a twisty road.

Last edited:

97CasperCobra

Track is Crack
Also if you think the handling is just "OK" then either something else is wrong or you're not using it right.

The SVTF is one of the best handling cars in it's class even on stock suspension, it won several car of the year awards against much more expensive cars.
I couldn't agree more, the SVTF was tested against and BEAT the previous year M3 in handling. If I didn't have brand new crappy tires on it I would be on the track with it later on this month and have one hell of a time.

02REDSVT

alienfreek
Established Member
I do agree, this car handles above and beyond what I ever expected it to. Braking is also better than I thought it would be. BUT... it just seems most people who buy these are buying the laziness and lack of care from the previous owner... OR the car is just a piece of garbage once its been drivin. If you have the funds to repair everything that hasnt been fixed for you, it can be a good car. Have a mechanic look it over before you purchase.

Users who are viewing this thread