Looking for an R&D car.

nix5o

Established Member
Hey guys,

With our recent partnership with ACT clutches we have a twin disc clutch that they want to test on a 13-14 shelby. The clutch is FREE, you must let ACT have your stock clutch in exchange for the new one.

There are a few supporting parts you will have to buy that we have in stock, and you will have to pay for labor to install the new clutch.

It is preferable the car has basic mods like pulley and tune, and we need someone that's going to actually test it, not just take their car home and park it in the garage. Lastly we need someone that will provide feed back to us on the product.

The customer needs to be in the south east texas area to make it easier for us to work together.

Feel free to pm me for further details.

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
Let me explain how this works.

If you are interested, make the call.
Hell, if you need a clutch this is a nice offer even if you have to buy a few parts.
The clutch has been proven on other models.

If you are not interested then there is no need to reply or even tell them what you think about the offer.

That in a nut shell is it.
Thanks Nick for the offer, I wish I was in the game as I would test the crap out of it.

turbo

Established Member
pardon us for haviing an opinion. i have a pefectly good motor to give you , all stock. do you have a modified one for me to test that i need to buy parts and labor for????
see that sarcasm there?

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
Your opinion on his offer is not needed.

Just like opinions on prices/deals in the market section are not needed.
This is no different.
If you are not interested just pass on through.

As far as your sarcasm,
There could be several reasons for wanting your stock clutch and I'm not gonna list all that come to mind but honestly anyone considering this either should have a stock clutch that is on its way out or they really like to abuse the car.

OaktownACE

Established Member
I understand the guys got a business but I thought the forum was for expressing opinions. Its a terrible offer. Maybe if they sweeten the pot and offer some assurances it would be better. It's a 60+ thousand dollar car, not some 30k gt.

I think it's a good idea for forum members to help each other out and protect each other when we think someone might get taken for a ride. If that gets me a time out then so be it.

But I'll move on from this offer and I really appreciate this forum and all those who contribute.

Last edited:

turbo

Established Member
well said oaktown. thanks for the back up. nix50, good luck with the offer, hope it works out for both parties

nix5o

Established Member
All the people that have contacted us know how sweet the offer is. I don't have time to type all of the fine print. If your interested pm or call.

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
I understand the guys got a business but I thought the forum was for expressing opinions. Its a terrible offer. Maybe if they sweeten the pot and offer some assurances it would be better. It's a 60+ thousand dollar car, not some 30k gt.

I think it's a good idea for forum members to help each other out and protect each other when we think someone might get taken for a ride. If that gets me a time out then so be it.

But I'll move on from this offer and I really appreciate this forum and all those who contribute.

The forum is for ideas and opinions yes. There are also rules and ways to express those opinions.

In this case he is looking for opinions on the clutch NOT opinions on if his offer is a good deal or not.

And to someone who NEEDS as clutch this is a great deal.
To someone who knows he will be modding soon and will need a stronger clutch this is a great deal.

Nick NEVER said you had to send him your perfectly good stock clutch.

He is a vendor here and deserves that respect to not have his thread cluttered with those who don't need a clutch telling him his offere is horrible.
I am a staff member here and am telling you the way it should (And always has been) here.

Protecting each other form getting take for a ride? On an offer like this from a vendor?
Really? That is part of my job.

JeremyR

Established Member
They probably want your old clutch so they know u put theirs on and aren't just trying to get something for free and then sell it.

OaktownACE

Established Member
I dont see an issue, if I was in Texas I would do it

Alright, I said I'd leave it alone but I just can't. Part of my job is doing research. To really research something you have to control for variables to truly reach a significant conclusion. Trends, anecdotal stuff, are great but that's when you get things like tunes that blow out engines etc.

If they want to truly do R&D, then they should install the clutch in a couple cars in the same shop, with the same parts so they can control for install variations. While the number of installs won't be high enough to truly know if the clutch works okay, at least it gives a better idea.

If they did the install, they'd also know that the clutch was installed and I'm not clear why they need the stock clutch, but that could just be my lack of knowledge on the matter.

Given the robustness of the stock clutch on this car, there would have to be some serious abuse to need a new clutch already on a 13 or 14. If someone did need a new clutch then sure its a better deal.

The whole thing just reminds me of those ads for "testing" new golf clubs. You pay for some shipping and handling and in exchange you get a new club or two to test. Only in those ads you don't have to send them your old clubs.

So I understand that vendors are allowed to post offers, but I guess I don't understand why we can't comment on the offers. Plenty of people have commented on Van's offers or Lethal's offers being great deals and looks like an awesome setup before anything was installed. So when there are negative comments on an offer and they get nuked it's a bit of a double standard. That said, it's not my board, I'm just a guest and you have to make the calls.

2000gt4.6

Established Member
Alright, I said I'd leave it alone but I just can't. Part of my job is doing research. To really research something you have to control for variables to truly reach a significant conclusion. Trends, anecdotal stuff, are great but that's when you get things like tunes that blow out engines etc.

If they want to truly do R&D, then they should install the clutch in a couple cars in the same shop, with the same parts so they can control for install variations. While the number of installs won't be high enough to truly know if the clutch works okay, at least it gives a better idea.

If they did the install, they'd also know that the clutch was installed and I'm not clear why they need the stock clutch, but that could just be my lack of knowledge on the matter.

Given the robustness of the stock clutch on this car, there would have to be some serious abuse to need a new clutch already on a 13 or 14. If someone did need a new clutch then sure its a better deal.

The whole thing just reminds me of those ads for "testing" new golf clubs. You pay for some shipping and handling and in exchange you get a new club or two to test. Only in those ads you don't have to send them your old clubs.

So I understand that vendors are allowed to post offers, but I guess I don't understand why we can't comment on the offers. Plenty of people have commented on Van's offers or Lethal's offers being great deals and looks like an awesome setup before anything was installed. So when there are negative comments on an offer and they get nuked it's a bit of a double standard. That said, it's not my board, I'm just a guest and you have to make the calls.

Pardon me for saying so, but you making the statement that the stock clutch is "robust" etc proves your really talking about something your uninformed on. Anyone with say a 13-6 kit or slicks is gonna want/need a stonger setup. Hell the ecu clutch protection is literally the only thing preventing 10 second stock timeslips IMO.

I don't have a dog in this fight but its a free clutch in trade for your feedback and a worn out stock clutch . Any additional parts you need for his setup you probably need for another aftermarket clutch. Your basically getting a 500-1000+ dollar piece free...

Last edited:

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
Pardon me for saying so, but you making the statement that the stock clutch is "robust" etc proves your really talking about something your uninformed on. Anyone with say a 13-6 kit or slicks is gonna want/need a stonger setup. Hell the ecu clutch protection is literally the only thing preventing 10 second stock timeslips IMO.

I don't have a dog in this fight but its a free clutch in trade for your feedback and a worn out stock clutch . Any additional parts you need for his setup you probably need for another aftermarket clutch. Your basically getting a 500-1000+ dollar piece free...

^^This
If someone is in the market then it is a great deal.
Everyone who says it is a terrible offer DOES NOT NEED A CLUTCH.
And in that case your opinion on the offer is not needed or wanted.
Lets not forget that it also isn't as much of what you say but how you say it.

1, you would be correct, and if you have no knowledge you should not comment that it is a horrible deal.
2. exactly.
3.Yep, If you read the SVTP RULES which I'm sure most of you have NOT.
You will find things about "Constructive posting" "Negitive remarks" "Vendor bashing", "Condescending"

It would be slightly different if you had an opinion on the clutch or something but to tell a vendor (Or anyone else for that matter) that his offer sucks will not happen.

OaktownACE

Established Member

Just basing my opinion on this:

http://www.svtperformance.com/forum...tch-w-mods-success-stories-do-they-exist.html

Seems to indicate a pretty robust clutch. But again I only am going by what I've read from what I think are more experienced and informed posters.

OaktownACE

Established Member
To Stampede, I didn't see it as vendor bashing. It might not be a great deal but that's not bashing a business. I suppose I interpreted the rule differently.

Also, when it comes down to it, I think on a level you agree with me. I agree that if the stock clutch is beat to hell it makes sense to get a free clutch. I read the offer thinking that the person switching still had a good clutch which doesn't make much sense to me.

I think I've beat this to death so I'll stop.

Last edited:

nix5o

Established Member
Anyone that says the stock clutch is robust hasn't put sticky tires on it with the clutch protection turned off.

This clutch retails for $1300.00

GWFoos

Established Member
I'm in round rock and happy to help. :)

My car arrives mid next week. Let's chat. We'll do this thing right. I'm happy to drive over to you as well.

Give me a shout.

Greg

Users who are viewing this thread