Looking for input on what to do...

sonicdan

Established Member
I have been using a DeWalt 849X rotary polisher, and I don't feel I have the patience or the touch to not produce "halos."

I used the Lake county 7.5 pads; blue with Meguiars M205, white with Meguairs M105.

I always wash with dish soap and clay bar to remove any wax, then tape everything off.

Last time I finished with some Griott's hand wax. The shine and water beading was great! But in the sunlight, there was still a lot of halo.

Someone suggested I try using a DA polisher, so I am thinking about picking one up.

Autogeek has the 6 pack of pad deal, and I was going to pick up some new pads for a DA.

Any recommendations on which pads to use with the M205 and M205 compounds?

Paint is in good shape, light swirling. Car was repainted and color sanded using PPG products 7 years ago. Car is sonic blue, so not dark, but not light.

Also, I was looking for some finishing wax that won't break the bank...maybe Griott's best of show?

Thanks for any input you guys may have.

hoamskilet

Established Member
I haven't tried some of the newer pads, but I've always had good look with the trusty ole flat pads from Lake Country or Buff n Shine. The Lake Country Hydro Tech pads work really well, but aren't quite as durable

sonicdan

Established Member
I haven't tried some of the newer pads, but I've always had good look with the trusty ole flat pads from Lake Country or Buff n Shine. The Lake Country Hydro Tech pads work really well, but aren't quite as durable
Yeah, I was looking into those but I would like a pad that lasts a little longer.

I was thinking 2 pads for each step of the process(M2015, M205, Wax), would be enough...but maybe I'm wrong...

hoamskilet

Established Member
The buff n shine and lake country flat pads have held up forever for me. I would just get 1 wax pad instead of 2 and get either a 3rd polish pad or 3rd compound pad instead

Imatk

Established Member
I use a rotary mostly because my joints can't take a DA but I know DA's have come a long way with the Rupes and what not.

I generally use M105 and M205 but I rarely use the compound on my car because it just doesn't need it.

I use microfiber pads now as well. I find they don't tend to skip as much as foam pads and for my paint they finish down a lot nicer.

The thing I've found with a rotary is you really don't have to use a whole lot of speed. Rarely do I bump it up more than the lowest setting. Just have to take your time.

sonicdan

Established Member
I use a rotary mostly because my joints can't take a DA but I know DA's have come a long way with the Rupes and what not.

I generally use M105 and M205 but I rarely use the compound on my car because it just doesn't need it.

I use microfiber pads now as well. I find they don't tend to skip as much as foam pads and for my paint they finish down a lot nicer.

The thing I've found with a rotary is you really don't have to use a whole lot of speed. Rarely do I bump it up more than the lowest setting. Just have to take your time.
My paint really isn't in bad shape, so maybe I don't really need to go down to the m105.

Maybe I will start with m205, then sealant and wax. What do you use?

Imatk

Established Member
Once it's been polished I do an IPA wipedown and then I use Duragloss 105 and finish with FinishKare 425 detail spray.

Duragloss 105 reminds me of Zaino All In One but it's a lot cheaper... lasts longer than any other sealant I've tried.

sonicdan

Established Member
Once it's been polished I do an IPA wipedown and then I use Duragloss 105 and finish with FinishKare 425 detail spray.

Duragloss 105 reminds me of Zaino All In One but it's a lot cheaper... lasts longer than any other sealant I've tried.

What are you using for polish? Sorry, newb here.

sonicdan

Established Member
What are you using for polish? Sorry, newb here.

I'm definitely going to give the microfiber pads a try. I love that they can be washed, and microfiber gets better and better the more they are washed from what I hear. Definitely could get more use out of them than the traditional foam pads.

sonicdan

Established Member
So as far as microfiber pads, any recommendations? Putting an order together through Autogeek tonight.

sonicdan

Established Member
Well, I ended up ordering a new DA to try out, and the CCS Lake County foam pads. 3 orange, 2 polishing, and 1 for wax.

Also ordered the finishkare 425, and the Duragloss 105.

Going to start with the M205..

Imatk

Established Member
Well, I ended up ordering a new DA to try out, and the CCS Lake County foam pads. 3 orange, 2 polishing, and 1 for wax.

Also ordered the finishkare 425, and the Duragloss 105.

Going to start with the M205..

Cool man... you're going to love that finishkare stuff... it's very slick!

And the Duragloss is the longest lasting sealant I've used at this point. Collinite is supposed to last longer, but it's harder to work with from what I've read.

sonicdan

Established Member
Cool man... you're going to love that finishkare stuff... it's very slick!

And the Duragloss is the longest lasting sealant I've used at this point. Collinite is supposed to last longer, but it's harder to work with from what I've read.

Good to hear! I am anxious to receive all of the items and really get to put a nice job into this car. I will try the microfiber pads next.

Thanks for all the help!

Users who are viewing this thread