Looking to get into a 96-98 Cobra

PushinTheLimit

Established Member
I used to own an 04 Cobra as my play toy before so I'm not completely new to the Cobra world. I sold it for a C5 Z06 and loved it. Had to sell that car as my job wasn't looking so good. Tough decision to make, but it was the right one.

I now have a better, more stable job so I've been looking around for a 96-98 Cobra. I've got one in mind that I've found... its a White 96, mostly stock (flowmaster 40's and Chrome Bullitt rims) with around 53k miles for $8500. I figure for the miles and its condition, it looks to be a pretty good deal. Right now, I drive an 09 Civic as my daily driver. I got it because I drive close to 700 miles a week to work and back. I needed something decent on gas for that. But, the Civic is just a boring car... I want something a little more fun.

Also, I'm looking to lower my payments around $100 a month. That would make the gas mileage between the two a wash if my payments were that much lower on the Cobra. I also autoX so this would make me a good car to run locally have some fun with. Once again, autoXing a Civic just doesn't do it for me.

This Cobra will not be modded much at all as I am working on my next toy. I am trying to go road racing in a prepped C5 Z06 and race in SCCA's T1 class. So most of my fun money will be spent on it to try and be competitive. The cobra will just be a quick, fun, autoX/ daily driver car. Just wanted to hear some opinions from the Cobra owners. Thanks. :beer:

PSUCOBRA96

Established Member
if you are getting a cobra and are going to be putting 700 miles a week on the car you are gonna be filling the tank three times a week, with premium fuel, not to mention you are gonna be wearing the car out much faster that way, tires/suspension on a 53k car will need to be replaced fairly soon, and an oil change about every two months...thats just to maintain it....sounds to me like you should keep the civic

MikeW

Established Member
I had to have another SN cobra and picked a 98 up a year or two ago. It was a one owner (lady) daily driven bone stock car, 82,000 miles. I put suspension mods (Maximum Starter box and other stuff) on it, new clutch (Spec 1), and gave it a tune up.

I only drive 7 miles to work one way so gas is not a concern for me. it is a FUN car and I love the looks of the SN95 cobras. I too was planning on setting it up for auto-x and it is almost ready.. I just dont have the time due to work.

I have a work vehicle now and the 98 just sits (so do both 03's :cry:). I hope to have more time for hte cars when things get back to "normal" here at work. I have considered selling the 98 just because it is sad to see sit for months on end.

Good luck :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread