LPW Vs Ford Racing

2sick4v's

SonicBoom
Established Member
I was wondering what diff cover you guys would recommend? I had my mind set on the LPW but some guys said they had issues with fitment and had to do some grinding. The ford racing piece is newer so i was wondering if anyone has better luck with the ford racing cover. Any help would be appreciated.

Tims97SVT

Established Member
Why/what did he have to grind. I believe all covers need to have grinding done when installing a ftbr lower diff mount... In any case most aftermarket parts will need some love. Not much is bolt on and rock on.

DE07GT

Established Member
I have both, but I haven't installed the Ford cover yet. On the LPW, I had to grind off the logo on the cover because it hit the stock differential mount.

TRBO VNM

I was wondering what diff cover you guys would recommend? I had my mind set on the LPW but some guys said they had issues with fitment and had to do some grinding. The ford racing piece is newer so i was wondering if anyone has better luck with the ford racing cover. Any help would be appreciated.

Why/what did he have to grind. I believe all covers need to have grinding done when installing a ftbr lower diff mount... In any case most aftermarket parts will need some love. Not much is bolt on and rock on.

OP, are you doing the FTBR kit? If so, you can get the ford racing cover from them or one of their dealers and for an extra $50 they will machine it to fit their lowering mount if you went with the FT-5001 kit. If you went with the FT-5000 kit, it should not require modification. And if you are pulling the pumpkin to put the cover on and not doing the FTBR kit, at a MINIMUM, since the pumpkin is out, do the FTBR front and rear diff bushings or rear mount instead of the rear bushing. You can't do the rear without removing the pumpkin. so while it is out, common sense, replace the stock crap.

2sick4v's

SonicBoom
Established Member
OP, are you doing the FTBR kit? If so, you can get the ford racing cover from them or one of their dealers and for an extra $50 they will machine it to fit their lowering mount if you went with the FT-5001 kit. If you went with the FT-5000 kit, it should not require modification. And if you are pulling the pumpkin to put the cover on and not doing the FTBR kit, at a MINIMUM, since the pumpkin is out, do the FTBR front and rear diff bushings or rear mount instead of the rear bushing. You can't do the rear without removing the pumpkin. so while it is out, common sense, replace the stock crap.

I was actually only going to do the cover since my stock one is leaking.

TRBO VNM

I would get the front and rear diff bushings while it is out. pick up a lube locker gasket and be done with it.

Last edited:

moonltgold

LPW here. I grinded off the logo just to be safe -- it has 1/8" clearance now. The grinding is quick, no sweat -- it's aluminum. And once installed, noboby can see the logo anyway, plus its only half the price of the FMS. LPW has been making diff covers for 50 years -- they have a good product. So LPW is a smart choice.

TRBO VNM

I bought mine on the same deal ($125 shipped) in 2009 from a company near Baltimore. I had no fitment issues at all but I did have to drop the whole IRS system to install it.

You don't have to drop the whole IRS system to install the rear cover. You just have to remove the pumpkin.

Users who are viewing this thread