Mac Longtubes or keep JBA Shortys

2004silvercobra

Established Member
Mac Longtubes or keep the JBA Shortys I have now? I was pushing the idea of Longtubes but not sure if its worth it or not. Seems everyone has a different opinion on them. I'm not looking for sound as much as performance. I have a TVS @ 20lbs & E85. I currently run bassani high flow cats and would do the same if I ran Longtubes since the car is pretty loud as it is.

mhinchley

Established Member
Can't answer if you should or should not, but I had OE manifolds, pro chamber, & magnaflow c/b......upgraded to mac lt headers & swapped out pro-chamber for pro chamber, & sound is a lot better. Not louder, but deeper sounding. I like it. 21psi currently on 2.3 Whipple, with e85.

2004silvercobra

Established Member
Can't answer if you should or should not, but I had OE manifolds, pro chamber, & magnaflow c/b......upgraded to mac lt headers & swapped out pro-chamber for pro chamber, & sound is a lot better. Not louder, but deeper sounding. I like it. 21psi currently on 2.3 Whipple, with e85.
Do you happen to have before and after numbers?

svtshadow

Banned
Go mac and dont look back. I have the chrome coated ones and they still look good 3 years later. 15-20rwhp increase. But just the sound itself would make me switch.

oldmodman

Established Member
Longtubes can actually give you a performance increase.

Shorties generally do not. But if you at a high enough performance level (around 600hp) they will be good for another 8 to 12 hp. At least they were on my 03 Cobra. But the main reason I went with JBA shorties was the California SMOG laws. The shorties will pass since both cats are exactly the same distance from the engine as stock. Not so with any longtube, or even mid length.
And I guess I have been lucky with the shorties. been on the car for six years and no cracking or peeling of the coating. they still look absolutely like new. I got them because I hated the factory exhaust manifolds.

canadianbullitt

Established Member
I picked up 40 rwhp about the same torque by going to long tubes from the stock manifolds. Mind you I also had a retune done at the same time so that could be some of it.

SlowSVT

Established Member
if you plan on making 600+ hp headers are probably a good direction to go. If you plan on hovering in the 600 hp range I would probably keep what you have. Headers can change the whole dynamics with regard to "maintenance" and can make your life a bit more miserable when working on the car. Like oldmodman said you have lots of options with pipe combinations with the JBA's and the car can still pass emissions (cats don't work with LT's).

JBA shorties actually have lots of room for improvement as they did a horrible job at minimizing flow restrictions. The runners can be opened up and smoothed where the pipes join and the flange opening has a nasty bellmouth but that requires welding to address that. With all the rework my JBA flow restrictions has been reduced to a point it's close to a set of LT's but without the ability of scavenging the cylinder.................like a blown motor really needs that! But it took a ton of work to make them that way.

If you get headers do not buy anything but stainless steel. Mild wheel will eventually corrode and turns to dust regardless of any coating it may have. In the long run SS will be a better investment. kooks makes a very nice header.

stangfreak

Established Member
I have mac long tubes. I have to go look at my dyno charts but I gained lots of hp and tq when I put them on my 2.3 whipple. I had stock manifolds with the 2.3. I just cant recall the gains because it was a while ago. But I remember when we tuned the car, the people watching were impressed. They fit great, no leaks. I know cars, personally, that have gone mid to low 9's with these headers. For the price you cant beat them. shorty headers just DONT give you the performance you need. Twinscrews, especially on high boost applications need long tubes.

Serge

Established Member
If you decide to put long tube all buy your jba shorty. Pm me if you. Do. Change theme.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread