Mechanical rubbing noise when driving slow and turning

jg0001

Established Member
2012 owner here, car built in June 2011.

I've been hearing a mechanical rubbing noise (hard to explain, it's not loud loud, but audible enough) that is only heard when travelling slow in parking lots, for example, and is most noticeable when turning.

From a sidenote on another thread, I read that this may be a normal powering steering noise. I have the non-SVTPP wheels/tires, fwiw. Originally I wondered if it was the transmission. I'd be happy to hear it wasnt, but am curious if this is considered COMMON or just NORMAL.

I plan to bring it in for its first oil change before winter kicks in. Any suggestions?

teejay

Established Member
From my experience. I am sure someone else has more info. But, I brought mine to the dealer for the same thing when I first got mine. The lead SVT tech that it is the rear end locker/axle and that it is normal... He said he could lube it a little more and it would maybe quiet it a tad. But, not get rid of it... He also said Ford sent a letter to all dealers explaining that this is normal.

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
I doubt it's the electric power steering system since you have the non-SVTPP wheels (19"). If it's coming from the back of the car, it's the clutches making noise in the diff.

Add friction modifier to the rear differential. That will solve it.

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
I doubt it's the electric power steering system since you have the non-SVTPP wheels (19"). If it's coming from the back of the car, it's the clutches making noise in the diff.

Add friction modifier to the rear differential. That will solve it.

I am not familiar............What is the difference in the front wheels/tires, SVTPP and non-SVTPP? I assume the wheel design and finish may be different between the two but that would not affect p/s function.

R

Last edited:

Shelby Rider

Living the dream
Established Member
i had 2009 and had the same problem went to the dealer and said its normal and common almost in 4 of 5 cars in generally he also gave me a print that explain the issue that came from the factory (i hope i can find it to post here for you), so i didn't bother as long as he said that and i have the warranty, so i lived with it with out any problem, and after that i was aiming for the new 2011 and sold my car and bought the new beast the same day i bought it i was trying to parking my car in the garage i heard the ugly noise and start laughing (come on not again am i holding a curse inside me that moving to everything i touch)so later went to the dealer and said to me the same thing

end of story:)

oldlugs

Established Member
The carbon fiber diff clutches do that after you get on it hard. Driving gently for a while, or doing some figure 8s will free them up and it'll be quiet again. I wouldn't add friction modifier as I think it'll just make 'em slip more all the time. ..But that's me. I live with the occasional "groaning" noise on both my '08 Bullitt and my '09 KR - they both have the identical rear axle assy.

Users who are viewing this thread