MGW & 3 point installed

bluesnake263

Baby hulk
Established Member
E05B00F4-8EA0-44E1-9FF4-9C51E31DB341_zps6cmv1wsg.jpg

8B248994-E42D-484B-B2F9-B1F288AFA9EF_zpssealdis5.jpg

3EAD5E92-681D-4F83-95C1-C709D22913C4_zpsbqtnnan0.jpg

love the feel of the MGW. I have it on setting 6 and its stiff as hell. I still need to adjust the 3 point straps to fit me correctly. The lap belt wants to ride up my chest when I sinch everything down. Anyone know how to make the airbag light turn off???

RaceRedSnake

Established Member
You need a submarine strap to hold the seatbelt down. Harness looks real good . I like the shift knob.

Last edited:

Cman01

hello
Established Member
Go to the wreckers and get the male part of the seat belt buckle, pop that into the retractor when you are wearing the harnesses and the light will go out (cause the car thinks that you are buckled up with the factory seat belts).

bluesnake263

Baby hulk
Established Member
submarine strap? forgive my ignorance please.

I completely took out the factory seatbelt so the only thing in there is the harness

Lethalchem

Sigmund Frod
Established Member
Nice! :beer:

I have a 5 point in mine (though I chose not to install the sub-belt, to the World's dismay, lol) and I never noticed the airbag light. I know the belt chime gets agitated with me but it goes away on it's own after it realizes I'm ignoring it.

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
submarine strap? forgive my ignorance please.

I completely took out the factory seatbelt so the only thing in there is the harness

Hardcore man!
Sub belt is the '5th' belt that attaches from the floor pan between your legs, keeps you from sliding underneath the waist belts.
I'd also assume it would leave hellacious bruising if you ever needed it :banana:
Any dislikes or more impressions on the MGW? How do you describe vs. stock (which
I also like). It's gone way up my list after seeing how nice they are in person, haven't driven one yet though.
-J

bluesnake263

Baby hulk
Established Member
Thanks for the compliments guys! BiminiLX lol you are one of my favorites on here. I removed the back seat so I could unbolt all of the factory seat belt system and then used the factory mounting points to bolt in the 3 point. It was my understanding that a sub belt couldn't be used w the recaros. The schroth belts are nice but they are pricey as hell. $178 for my two harnesses. $360 for two schroth harnesses. My bank roll ain't that swole lol. I just need to adjust the belts a bit more so and I think it will be good to go.

The MGW is fantastic. I got it used but it's miles ahead if stock. I had a barton in my 2010 and the noise cancelation is much much better with MGW. I did enjoy the flat stick arm of the barton, but as a whole assembly the MGW wins.

bluesnake263

Baby hulk
Established Member
And yes no bar needed when using the factory mounting points. And I got them from CJ pony parts but I saw then on other sites for similar prices as well as other brands such as sparco

Lethalchem

Sigmund Frod
Established Member
And yes no bar needed when using the factory mounting points. And I got them from CJ pony parts but I saw then on other sites for similar prices as well as other brands such as sparco

So both driver side shoulder belts are bolted into the factory mounting point by the door on the floor? I've never seen it done like that before, I was just curious how you did it.

Cman01

hello
Established Member
I did belts that way before too on my 89 5.0 and 96 Formula. I wasn't going to put a bar or cage in the car just to have some fun on the racetrack but ideally that way of installing belts is not the best way.

In a crash situation mounting those belts that far down will actually compress your spine and cause possible spinal injury.

http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/soloracerdotcom_1691_61108

the pic with the big red X is what you and I did and is not good. I knew at the time it wasn't the best way of getting the harnesses in so just be aware of the consequences if and when you use them on the track.

bluesnake263

Baby hulk
Established Member
yes its a 3 point so it bolts in and goes from a single strap to the Y split just behind the headrest of the seat. I didn't want to mount a bar in there. I have never raced before, but maybe at mustang week this year id like to make some passes on the drag strip. Only local tracks close to me are in rockingham or Raleigh. The harness was because I wanted something a little more secure compared to the factory belt, but my car mainly lives on the street. Honestly, I will prolly embarrass myself the first time I ever go to the track lol.

bluesnake263

Baby hulk
Established Member
lethal chem, both shoulder belts go to a single strap after the holes I the headrest and from there it doesn't go to the floor, it bolts in to the area up high where your seatbelt normally would be

Lethalchem

Sigmund Frod
Established Member
yes its a 3 point so it bolts in and goes from a single strap to the Y split just behind the headrest of the seat. I didn't want to mount a bar in there. I have never raced before, but maybe at mustang week this year id like to make some passes on the drag strip. Only local tracks close to me are in rockingham or Raleigh. The harness was because I wanted something a little more secure compared to the factory belt, but my car mainly lives on the street. Honestly, I will prolly embarrass myself the first time I ever go to the track lol.

Oh ok, I see what you're saying. I didn't know how that would work. If you ever want to relocate the mounting points, keep in mind a bar can be removable and doesn't require cutting/welding. Mine was a bolt-in deal. Many people don't approve of the safety of a harness bar (versus a roll bar) and don't agree with leaving off the sub belt, but my setup works for my needs. My setup retains the use of the stock belts though, so I can use whichever is appropriate for the situation.

DSCF3801_zpsa9c49b05.jpg

DSCF3799_zps9acbebce.jpg

DSCF3819_zpsf25ce859.jpg

bluesnake263

Baby hulk
Established Member
That bar would help but I didn't know that it could be installed easily like you are describing. Do you have a link to the product? Your setup looks great btw!

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Thanks for the compliments guys! BiminiLX lol you are one of my favorites on here. I removed the back seat so I could unbolt all of the factory seat belt system and then used the factory mounting points to bolt in the 3 point. It was my understanding that a sub belt couldn't be used w the recaros. The schroth belts are nice but they are pricey as hell. $178 for my two harnesses. $360 for two schroth harnesses. My bank roll ain't that swole lol. I just need to adjust the belts a bit more so and I think it will be good to go.

The MGW is fantastic. I got it used but it's miles ahead if stock. I had a barton in my 2010 and the noise cancelation is much much better with MGW. I did enjoy the flat stick arm of the barton, but as a whole assembly the MGW wins.

In Elvis voice "thank ya, thank ya very much".
Now just don't go around driving with your helmet and harnesses, unless we get some pics :thumbsup:

Thanks for the MGW feedback.

Lethal's harness bar is a great option, if you're running the belts full time def. something to consider, the bolt-in without permanent mods is the way to go.:rockon:
-J

RaceRedSnake

Established Member
I would think one could make a sub belt work with Recaro seats. If the sub belt was long enough, it could pass over the front part of the seat and then pass under the seat to one of your anchor points behind the seat. The sub belt does no harm to your body in an accident. I have hit walls head on at 50 mph in my dirt oval track modified and never felt any discomfort from my sub belt. Usually the impact is felt on the shoulders and the shoulders can turn black and blue from a hard impact.
A sub belt will allow a person to be able to tighten the shoulder harness more tight to prevent the head from hitting the steering wheel. You will want your shoulder harness quite snug in case of an accident.

Users who are viewing this thread