MGW with Comfort Handle vs. Stock Shifter Location

Formula51

Established Member
I have been doing a lot of searching and cannot find an answer to this. Can anyone compare the location of the shift knob on the MGW shifter with the Comfort Handle to the location of the stock shifter. Pictures or personal experience would be very helpful.

What I am trying to figure out is if the MGW Comfort Handle sits as far back as the stock shifter or if it requires more forward reach.

joshcarp81

Established Member
I went from stock to steeda tri ax to mgw comfort and will highly recommend it. There's still some adjustability also by the design.
I didn't care for tri ax at all. It won't disappoint.

Huachipato

Screaming '04
Established Member
The MGW allows you to put the shifter closer to the driver. Closer than stock for sure. I still need to lean forward a bit to hit 3rd and 5th though. I'm not sure anything aside from a relocation could correct that issue though.

Formula51

Established Member
The MGW allows you to put the shifter closer to the driver. Closer than stock for sure. I still need to lean forward a bit to hit 3rd and 5th though. I'm not sure anything aside from a relocation could correct that issue though.

Do you have to lean forward more or less than you did with the stock shifter?

I am in a situation where I don't hate the position of the stock shifter, would almost prefer it came back even further, but I would like to get a more accurate shifter such as the MGW. However, I do not want a handle that requires me to reach further forward than the stock shifter does. I am trying to figure out if that shifter is the MGW with comfort handle.

Huachipato

Screaming '04
Established Member
I don't lean forward as much with the MGW. It brings the shifter closer to me, even in 3rd and 5th.

cj428mach

Established Member
I went from MGW to a Hurst Billet Plus for reduced noise.

The nice thing about shifters with bolt on handles is you can do the shifer relocation mod. I made a bracket that moved the shifter back towards me and am very happy with the location now.

SnakeBit

Mid-Life Crisis my ass!
Established Member
You can't compare the stock shifter position with the MGW because the MGW can rotate as well as move up/down. It has a wide range of adjustment which should suit you. Along with the shifter, I'd recommend CobraBob's gasket. But that's me. I have both and love it.

My MGW is an older model when they had different length handles (red and blue), so I bought both. I believe that they only have 1 length handle now (orange).
t56.jpg

Formula51

Established Member
I went from MGW to a Hurst Billet Plus for reduced noise.

The nice thing about shifters with bolt on handles is you can do the shifer relocation mod. I made a bracket that moved the shifter back towards me and am very happy with the location now.

Did you have the Cobra Bob gaskets with your MGW? How bad was the noise?

The reason I ask is that everything I have read says the MGW is much quieter than the Steeda and Pro 5.0 shifters. I have also read that the pivot point/design of the Hurst Billet Plus is not actually different than the stock shifter and thus it is technically not a shorter throw than stock unless you are using a shorter shift lever. I have read it is very quiet though. What are your thoughts on the Hurst shifter compared to the MGW and stock?

Coxy

Established Member
I went from stock to the medium handle mgw, might be a touch less of a reach, but it's hard to judge with my trex arms really. Quality is second to none though.

Fr500handbuilt

Established Member
Well I was worried about it when I put the MGW on. So I bought the race handle and the comfort handle. The race handle is great and I am not a giant either and can reach 3rd and 5th no problem. The comfort handle is pointless I think. It makes it seem like you are shifting a truck lol. So if you want to try the comfort handle let me know I have sitting in a bag.

jbou91

Established Member
Comfort handle rocks, I'm 6'3" and no longer need to reach for 1st gear. Can still bang gears if not better than the standard handle.

cj428mach

Established Member
Did you have the Cobra Bob gaskets with your MGW? How bad was the noise?

The reason I ask is that everything I have read says the MGW is much quieter than the Steeda and Pro 5.0 shifters. I have also read that the pivot point/design of the Hurst Billet Plus is not actually different than the stock shifter and thus it is technically not a shorter throw than stock unless you are using a shorter shift lever. I have read it is very quiet though. What are your thoughts on the Hurst shifter compared to the MGW and stock?

Yes i did have a Cobra Bobs gasket.

I doubt hurst billet plus is the same as the stocker. I know in stock applications like SS/WS6 4th gen Fbodys with factory Hursts it more or less is a fancy handle on a stock base.

I've had a Hurst Billet plus on both my old t56 Fbody and now my Cobra and I love them. To me the noise was reduced with the Hurst it also helps that it allows you to run the extra handle gasket that comes with the Cobra Bob kit that you can't run with the MGW because of how the handle mounts.

99riocobra

i like ice cream
Established Member
Definitely recommend the comfort handle. The comfort handle can be adjusted so the shifter is nice and close and still reduces the forward lean for 3rd and 5th.

Also since it was mentioned, MGW now includes the foam insulation pad and a silicone gasket very similar to the Cobra Bob gasket.

Users who are viewing this thread