mobil 1 synthetic for the eaton?

Posi

Had a blast.
Established Member
I put Amsoil 10W-30 in all my Ports and it's perfectly fine like IronTerp said above. Just change it once a year or every 15,000 miles. Nobody has ever posted an issue with using Mobil 1 either. Just change it regularly.

SickBlackMach

Throttling back
Established Member
I believe the GM supercharger oil is non-synthetic but the Motorcraft XL-4 oil IS synthetic, hence the difference in price (but I could be wrong).

THIS is the good stuff to use (one can lasts quite a while!):

Mobil1JetII.jpg
Really? I never even thought about using 23699!

fire_4_effect

Motorsports = Expensive!
Established Member
never thought that "motor oil" was acceptable... i guess i was wrong. i may have to change out mine when i get back this november.

svt99rag

Established Member
never thought that "motor oil" was acceptable... i guess i was wrong. i may have to change out mine when i get back this november.

I have been using Motorcraft 10w-30 synthetic blend and have clocked 84k with no issues.

Last edited:

KINGCOBRA86

Tvs @ 22psi ftw
Established Member
thanks guys i pulled the plug off, and tryd sucking some out and nothing came out, so i tryd to add and it took 5oz ? i take it i was low? the car has 25k miles

KINGCOBRA86

Tvs @ 22psi ftw
Established Member
lol naw, i got a smaller hose and got it all out of there now, put some mobil 10-30 will try and flush it out weeks to come and then put some rp oil in there for good

the cooking syringe/weed whacker fuel line worked good for removing the oil

and i used the MixMizer™ 60cc Graduated Oil Syringe too add

thanks guys :beer:

Tractionless1

Established Member
Steg shoves 10W into all of his blowers and now everyone thinks its a great idea.

Not me told him to leave it dry and I'd refill myself.

Use the supercharger fluid if you can find it. ............. The supercharger spec oil is the best though, it does not expand as much as engine oil does when heated. So it will not build up pressure in the front drive, it is possible to blow the seals out if the supercharger oil is not used. But it is nearly impossible to over fill the supercharger when it is in the car. The base stock oil in the synthetic supercharger oil is a very high quality base stock, that is also why the oil is very expensive. You will be fine with a quality synthetic engine oil though.

Contradicting info. right there. Read....use the supercharger oil for best results but you'll be ok with synthetic engine oil? :poke: It's one or the other, either you chance blowing/leaking seals or you don't. Open/shut for me and why I use the required spec. oil.

Why is it that everyone wants the holy grail of lubriants for their motors, transmissions, and rear ends but is willing to cut corners with the blower to save $20? :shrug::??:

Last edited:

SpectorV

Established Member
I put mobile 1 in mind 15k miles ago then again the other day, it works. If you are going to worry so much about it put the recommended fluid as that works better im sure (less change interval perhaps).

Posi

Had a blast.
Established Member
I have been using Motorcraft 10w-30 synthetic blend and have clocked 84k with no issues.

A lot more people than you doing it also. I've ran 0 (Zero) weight oil in mine before with a 2.9/8lb combo on it.

thanks guys i pulled the plug off, and tryd sucking some out and nothing came out, so i tryd to add and it took 5oz ? i take it i was low? the car has 25k miles

You had about 1 oz left and that's why I keep suggesting in threads for people to at least check the oil level.

Not me told him to leave it dry and I'd refill myself.

Contradicting info. right there. Read....use the supercharger oil for best results but you'll be ok with synthetic engine oil? :poke: It's one or the other, either you chance blowing/leaking seals or you don't. Open/shut for me and why I use the required spec. oil.

Why is it that everyone wants the holy grail of lubriants for their motors, transmissions, and rear ends but is willing to cut corners with the blower to save $20? :shrug::??:

Because it works perfectly fine. I'll put genuine supercharger oil in my ports if a customer asks for it. Then I have to charge them extra for the port. If I knew where I could get it in Bulk and I could get it cheap enough I'd be all for it. Until then it's Amsoil inside them with a Warranty.

Tractionless1

Established Member
Because it works perfectly fine.

So does the Ford spec. motor oil, trans. fluid, and rear end fluid yet no one wants to use them and the forums are littered with "what's the best motor, trans., or rear end oil" threads. Just making an observation. :-D

Last edited:

cobracide

Established Member
Why supercharger oil?

At the belt-driven end there is a snout with two bearings in it and two gears. These depend on oil, a special oil formulated for superchargers. Supercharger oil is very fine because it has to get into some very small spaces to do its job.

In most parts of your car that need oil, the oil is pumped or slung to where it needs to be. For those applications, that’s fine. The supercharger snout is different. We can’t maintain the oil level up in the area of the seals on the rotor shafts because they can leak into the housing and the rotor group. So the correct oil level is about ¾” to 1” below the center of the lowest rotor shaft. That means the oil will sit lower than the lowest seal and bearing when the blower is not in operation. When the engine starts and the supercharger rotors begin to spin, the gears start slinging oil. Unfortunately, they cannot sling oil to the front of the snout. A simple slinging arrangement won’t be enough. That’s where supercharger oil comes in.

Supercharger oil is unique in that when it is stirred and slung it atomizes. The area inside the snout becomes filled with an oily fog that permeates all the way to the bearing at the front of the snout.

SVTDice

Established Member
Why supercharger oil?

At the belt-driven end there is a snout with two bearings in it and two gears. These depend on oil, a special oil formulated for superchargers. Supercharger oil is very fine because it has to get into some very small spaces to do its job.

In most parts of your car that need oil, the oil is pumped or slung to where it needs to be. For those applications, that’s fine. The supercharger snout is different. We can’t maintain the oil level up in the area of the seals on the rotor shafts because they can leak into the housing and the rotor group. So the correct oil level is about ¾” to 1” below the center of the lowest rotor shaft. That means the oil will sit lower than the lowest seal and bearing when the blower is not in operation. When the engine starts and the supercharger rotors begin to spin, the gears start slinging oil. Unfortunately, they cannot sling oil to the front of the snout. A simple slinging arrangement won’t be enough. That’s where supercharger oil comes in.

Supercharger oil is unique in that when it is stirred and slung it atomizes. The area inside the snout becomes filled with an oily fog that permeates all the way to the bearing at the front of the snout.

^This, I wouldnt leave it to chance and I'd go with the supercharger Oil.

IronTerp

Mid-Atlantic Cobra Assoc.
Cobracide, that all sounds great and all, and is certainly way beyond my knowledge of the inner oiling mechanisms of the Eaton 112 supercharger, but for whatever reason, the synthetic 30 weight motor oil that currently resides in thousands of these blowers is somehow working just fine. So fine in fact that the two companies (Posi Performance and Steigemeier Porting), that have been inside more of these blowers than any other entity, are confident that this lubrication approach is not a risk to their warranties of the thousands of the M-112's that they have ported over the years.

I personally have no animosity towards using supercharger oil in the M-112, nor is it a financial burden for me to do so. And I have 7 Ford and Chevy dealerships within 30 minutes of my house so it's certainly not an inconvenience for me to buy it. I use Mobil 1 synthetic oil in my eaton because there is no risk and it has been proven to be totally sufficient with the proper lubrication of the blower. This subject has been debated to death for years.

Users who are viewing this thread