Modify 1999 IRS to be a 2004 IRS?

shinerunner

Established Member
Can one take a 1999 Cobra IRS, like mine, and install Level 5 Halfshafts and a torque brace and be as strong as a 2004 Cobra IRS.

Note: I am replacing my 1999 Cobra motor with a 2004 Terminator motor and I need strength in my drive train. I'm keeping my T-45 Trans.,

Thanks

F8L SN8K

Established Member
OK the difference between the 99 and the 01s is that the 01s recieved a front pumpkin brace slightly stiffer bushings and 31 spline axles(the 99 was only 28spline). The 03-04s get stiffer bushings, stronger 31 spline halfshafts, bilstein shocks, and a different diff. but all the hadrware that bolts up is the same. pumpkin, carraige, and what not.

GodStang

Established Member
01s had the brace but it did not attach to the pumkin. It was just a cross bar. Atleast on my 01 it was. MOre or less if you swap the diffy and the axles you should be fine.

99riocobra

i like ice cream
Established Member
01s had the brace but it did not attach to the pumkin. It was just a cross bar. Atleast on my 01 it was. MOre or less if you swap the diffy and the axles you should be fine.
correct. that brace was on the 99/01 cobras, but it just went across. the 03/04's have the version with the tabs that bolt it to the diff also.

ShelbyGuy

Steers With the Throttle
Established Member
Eating a steady diet of government cheese, and liv
the inner toe link rod mount is 3mm lower on an 03/04 irs for better handling. the upper mount is the same, and the 03/04 cars have a 3mm thick spacer above the inner toe link rod end to make up the difference. The 03/04 knuckles are stronger (and are now the 99-04 service part), but the hubs and bearings interchange.

why did you post this in engines&tuning instead of suspension?

shinerunner

Established Member
OK the difference between the 99 and the 01s is that the 01s recieved a front pumpkin brace slightly stiffer bushings and 31 spline axles(the 99 was only 28spline). The 03-04s get stiffer bushings, stronger 31 spline halfshafts, bilstein shocks, and a different diff. but all the hadrware that bolts up is the same. pumpkin, carraige, and what not.

I don't know the difference between a differential and a pumpkin.

I guess what I need is the 03/04 stronger 31 spline half shafts, bilstein shocks and a different differential. I assume that the differential refers to the ring and pinion and the "pumpkin" is the rear end case that the half shafts fit into.

I assume that all Cobra half shafts have either 28 or 31 splines on the differential (pumpkin) end and must be similar on the wheel end.

All other upgraded bushings can be added later if so desired.

Are the 31 spline half shafts from a 2003 stronger than same from a 2001? I assume so.

Users who are viewing this thread